PDA

View Full Version : need help with my rotisserie come on guys!

brans72
05-15-2009, 06:15 PM
I finally got my chevelle on a rotisserie only problem is when I lift it up seems to lean toward the front and rear glass, causing it not to want to release from the jack due to a angled pressure on it (leaning when jacking car up). So what can I do for this guys? I do not mind welding on the rotisserie or fabing something up but my mind is little boggled right now on what I should do. Can I get a little help?????

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/progress-1.gif

derekf
05-15-2009, 06:43 PM
it's bowing in the middle when you lift it? I'm not sure I follow what you're meaning. If the body is bowing, you'll probably want to brace the body - and if it's the arms of the rotisserie, then they should probably be reinforced as well.

opnwide
05-15-2009, 06:57 PM
My two-pc rotisserie would shift a little due to the rear leafspring mounts being "loose" rather than solidly fixed like the front mounts. My solution was to hook onto the rear bumper with my engine hoist to pull the weight off and then I was able to "kick" the rear support forward a few inches to straighten it out.

Is yours 2 pieces or do you have a support in the middle?

Simbad68
05-15-2009, 10:06 PM
Do you have a cross bar connecting the two side?

brans72
05-16-2009, 04:26 AM
I have the crossbar in the middle connected to it. The body is braced very well, it is when you lift it that the cart seems to wanna shift/lean inward toward the car.

dhutton
05-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Pics would help. It sounds to me that the cross bar is set too long. Either that or the cross bar is bending. If it's bending, try supporting it in the middle.

Simbad68
05-16-2009, 09:07 AM
It sound like your up right post are flexing inward. Can you post some pics?

brans72
05-16-2009, 09:22 AM
sim that is correct when you lift the car up the upright post flex inward causing strain on the jack when letting car down. Anything I can do to help it? Thanks Brandon

Simbad68
05-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Can you post a few pics? Is it home made or purchased from a builder? Need to know how it was built and what kind of clearance there is around the uprights. Does it have bottle jack?

brans72
05-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I can try to get some pics up today or tomorrow. It was purchased new, and has a bottle jack style that bolts top and buttom that is pretty tall. The up rights???? I repostioned it today with front and rear bolted 3rd hole from buttom on the part with legs that actually connects to the car, but I have to raise the back with the jack to even height out :( to sit evenly like it would on ground. It is still slightly tilting at the up right post causing some binding when relasing the jack pressure. Thanks so far for the help fellows!!! Brandon

dhutton
05-16-2009, 01:27 PM
I think you need to shorten the crossbar. The cross bar should help keep the posts from tilting in.

brans72
05-16-2009, 04:50 PM
i am only 2 holes away from the bottom of the cross bar.

dhutton
05-16-2009, 04:53 PM
i am only 2 holes away from the bottom of the cross bar.

By crossbar I mean the long bar that runs along the floor between the two ends.

brans72
05-16-2009, 05:16 PM
oh i got you! the cross bar is as short as i can get it but i will recheck it again.

DRJDVM's '69
05-17-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm not totally clear either.....

With mine there is always alittle binding between the base and the section that moves up when you jack it up or lower it down. I've greased it etc but from time to time I just have to "jiggle" it or bounce alittle to get it to start to slide when I let it down...it usually goes up fine but when I try and lower it some times it takes alittle tweaking to get things to slide. I also lower the front and back alittle at a time ..alternating back and forth.

Even with the center cross bar, there is alot of weight between the front and back mounts.... things are going to want to "bow" or lean inward alittle.. things arent going to want to slide real easy sometimes... from my interpretation of your post, I think what you may be experiencing is pretty normal

When I first mounted it I also had to make a little brace between the mount and the bumper crossmember.... the mount in mine uses the rear spring shackle mount.....so when I started to lift it would want to rotate before lifting would occur.....so I made a small piece to fit between the mount and bumper crossmember...now it cant pivot before lifting starts...

Try and do some pix.........