PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger

SINISTER68
05-13-2009, 04:42 PM
IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND THIS IS MY FIRST QUESTION. I HAVE A 68 CAMARO AND PURCHASED A FAST BURN 385 WITH A HOT CAM TURN KEY PACKAGE. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A WEILDLAND 142 SUPERCHARGER ON THIS MOTOR. IT HAS 9.6.1 COMPRESSION RATIO. FORGED CRANK AND RODS. I KNOW THE PISTONS ARE THE WEAK LINK IN THE CHAIN. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ABOUT 525 HP. I ALSO PURCHASED A 700R4 MONSTER TRANNY. WOULD 4-6 POUNDS OF BOOST WITH THIS CHARGER GET ME TO MY GOAL? CAN MY ENGINE HANDLE THIS? WHAT WOULD My HP BE WITH THIS SET UP? THE TRANNY AND ENGINE IS RATED FOR AROUND 500HP AND I DON'T WANT TO OVER DO IT. THE CAR WILL SEE A LITTLE DRAG TIME BUT NOT MUCH MOSTLY A STREET CAR. I JUST WANT TO HANG WITH BOOSTED MUSTANGS. :idea:

big_G
05-13-2009, 05:06 PM
1: You will have no problem making 500 fwhp at about 6 lbs of boost.
2: The engine will have a short lifespan without forged pistons.
3: Consider water/meth injection. Without an inter-cooler, it will be a bomb waiting to go off. G/L

ProTouring442
05-14-2009, 03:24 AM
IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND THIS IS MY FIRST QUESTION. I HAVE A 68 CAMARO AND PURCHASED A FAST BURN 385 WITH A HOT CAM TURN KEY PACKAGE. I WOULD LIKE TO PUT A WEILDLAND 142 SUPERCHARGER ON THIS MOTOR. IT HAS 9.6.1 COMPRESSION RATIO. FORGED CRANK AND RODS. I KNOW THE PISTONS ARE THE WEAK LINK IN THE CHAIN. I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE ABOUT 525 HP. I ALSO PURCHASED A 700R4 MONSTER TRANNY. WOULD 4-6 POUNDS OF BOOST WITH THIS CHARGER GET ME TO MY GOAL? CAN MY ENGINE HANDLE THIS? WHAT WOULD My HP BE WITH THIS SET UP? THE TRANNY AND ENGINE IS RATED FOR AROUND 500HP AND I DON'T WANT TO OVER DO IT. THE CAR WILL SEE A LITTLE DRAG TIME BUT NOT MUCH MOSTLY A STREET CAR. I JUST WANT TO HANG WITH BOOSTED MUSTANGS. :idea:

I would think that the rods and crank would be the weak link

Please turn your caps lock off, the all-caps makes your posts quite difficult to read.

Welcome to the forum!

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

SINISTER68
05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Does the alchol/meth injection stay on constanly while the engine is running? i have only done a small amount of research on alchol/meth.

big_G
05-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Does the alchol/meth injection stay on constanly while the engine is running? i have only done a small amount of research on alchol/meth.
On only under boost conditions.

anthonys 69
05-24-2009, 07:13 PM
hi iv been looking into the same thing my self. do you want to keep everything under the hood or sticking through the hood.if you want to keep it under the hood you'll need to us the low profile 144 supercharger and the alcohol/ methanol injection would help but if you run it through a carb base plate there will not be clearance. for a carburetor I was thinking of using the retrotec projection 3 for fuel injection system for best drive ability. As far as your engine I think a long as you don't get greedy and push the engine to hard and keep the boost and ignition timing safe you would be ok...........good luck let me know what you decide to do...........Anthony.

DeltaT
05-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I would think that the rods and crank would be the weak link

The rods and crank in this motor (built on the ZZ3/ZZ4 shortblock) are quite strong and can handle a lot of abuse. And it's a 4-bolt main bolt.

The hypereutectic pistons will be the weakest link in the equation here.

Jim

Supervette
06-11-2009, 06:32 PM
I agree with the piston comment being the weak link.:smoke: