PDA

View Full Version : dry sump

jp455
03-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi all,

I was looking at that Hemi build up in the new popular hot rodding, and I was wondering something. What other engines can carry that "gear driven" dry sump pump? Is that cause of the custom block? I have always wanted to put dry sump in my engine but at the same time keep the A/C and other accesories...maybe I'll have to go with that LS7 after all?? :naughty:

manuel scettri

chicane67
03-19-2005, 07:05 PM
You can dry sump just about anything........ but it all comes down to initial cost. Although, most of what else that is available is built and driven with a cog belt. I have however, seen front drive systems that are gear driven to include oil and fuel pumps. Either way, you are still looking at around $2K+ for everything necessary.

But an LS7........ would look real pretty in between the framerails !

jp455
03-19-2005, 10:56 PM
..that LS7 WOULD look very very nice in there!! :naughty:

The dry sump in the Hemi looked like it was driven off of where the fuel pump would go. I don't know Hemis so I don't know if that really is where the fuel pump would go. Is this the case? This would be great though cause then the dry sump pump could just be added as if it were a fuel pump, add an electrical fuel pump and you'd be good to go...

manuel scettri

Kenova
03-21-2005, 08:49 AM
The dry sump in the Hemi looked like it was driven off of where the fuel pump would go.

You're close. The Hemi in question comes with a gear driven external oil pump. The dry sump system is driven off the original oil pump drive. Looks like a very clean setup.
Ken

jp455
03-21-2005, 09:36 PM
I see. Thanks! So, now the question is what other engines have this system? Can it be somehow retrofitted??

Manuel Scettri

Matt@RFR
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
There's really no such thing as "retrofitting" a dry sump system. Several shops make dry sump pumps and their accessories. The pumps are available as belt driven or a direct drive off of the cam, and other than very specialized pumps (like for the hemi you saw), those are the only two choices you have.

If you think you want a cam driven pump, you'd better have atleast 8" of engine setback.

jp455
03-22-2005, 07:30 AM
I know its not just a matter of retrofitting a dry sump system....what I was wondering more was what kind of engine blocks could the type of pump like on that hemi be put on? Or was that system possible because the block was custom made for it?
Basically I would like to know if a non belt driven system can be put on other engines....

thanks.
manuel scettri

Kenova
03-26-2005, 06:48 PM
:hmm: Didn't the old Buick motors have a gear driven external pump? I seem to remember that the pumps had a wear problem or something.
What about the Mopar big blocks? :dunno:
Ken