PDA

View Full Version : Slow Drying Weatherstrip Adhesive?

ProTouring442
05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
I am looking for a slow drying weatherstrip adhesive... https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2005/04/willy_nilly-1.gif I have a car where I will need to position, move, reposition, the weatherstripping to make everything seal properly. I know about the black weatherstripping adhesive, but that is a contact cement. Is there any such thing as a slow drying adhesive made for weatherstripping, or should I use RTV Silicone? :hmm:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bill

ProTouring442
05-14-2009, 03:31 AM
No comments? No suggestions? Not even someone who wants to make fun of me?? :idea:

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

derekf
05-14-2009, 03:43 AM
I can point out that I'd not seen the yellow smiley before, if you like? I don't have any answer to your question though.

fishtail8
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I've never had an issue with the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive. That stuff works great for all kinds of applications, not just weatherstrip...

200horse
05-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Thats going to be almost impossible. You want some type of glue to hold the weather stripping in place but you dont want it to dry slowly?? Most glues in order for them to work have to dry lol Kidding Could you tape them in place til you were a 100 % sure then glue?

1969CamaroRS
05-14-2009, 01:20 PM
The 3M Super Adhesive Weather strip dries in about 2-3 minutes. But usually I have let it dry most of the way on each surface then pressed both the parts together. Doesn't move after that. Not sure how it would work if you pushed the parts together right away and moved them around.

ProTouring442
05-14-2009, 05:14 PM
The 3M Super Adhesive Weather strip dries in about 2-3 minutes. But usually I have let it dry most of the way on each surface then pressed both the parts together. Doesn't move after that. Not sure how it would work if you pushed the parts together right away and moved them around.

hmmm... see the problem is the notch in which the weatherstripping sits. If I use the weatherstripping adhesive, I can't get it to push all the way down into the notch. I also need to see how high in the groove it needs to sit on the sides.

I'm thinking I will use the ultra-black RTV, coat the notch, then put the weatherstripping in place and hold it down with the top.

Such fun! :machine:

Shiny Side Up!
Bill