PDA

View Full Version : Inner tube

ALLFAITH
05-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I have a Vintage wheel work 16 x 8 on my 68 Shelby (10-spoke). It has always had a slow leak it seems--changed the stem several times etc. Don't want to buy a new wheel bc it will look too new--the others are 5 years old and have some nice matched patina.

Does anybody make an inner tube I can put in a 16 inch wheel ?

Is it safe ? I use the car a lot with kids and on highway

Thoughts.

Brad

BonzoHansen
05-12-2009, 07:06 AM
I would not put a tube in a tubeless tires. If I remember my training correctly the inner liners of tubeless tires are not designed to accommodate a tube, causing friction/hot & the tire can let loose. I’d personally pass.

It’s confirmed leaking around the valve stem? Have you tried different design valve stems?

lvrpool32
05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Ohhhhh a tire leak, I think you need some 17's, baer brakes and adjustable coil overs to fix that!! :)

Seriously I would try and confirm the leak, over inflate the tire, drop it in some water (bathtub works.....when the wifes out) You may find you have a burr or soemthing around the valve stem not letting it sit flat. The wheel and tire balances nice??? no vibrations when driving? Thinking that the rim may be bent. Tires are ok?? not dry rotted??? I mean you do have 36 other cars you drive.

MonzaRacer
05-14-2009, 06:24 AM
As for tubing the tire it can be done, you do need to find good tire dealer that can supply a radial tire tube, then when its installed add a couple small bottles of talcum powder.
Honestly if it leaks get it in a dunk tank, find the actual pin hole. My fix would be if it actually has a pin hole, get inside bead balsted, and have inside of wheel painted with an epoxy paint/primer or clear powder coated . This should cure any leaks and also I would use a clamp in stem and have them use a small amount of bead sealer on the rubber seals before installing it.
If you identify a small pinhole on back side you can also get it tig welded, or try www.durafix.com and propane torch and cover the area leaking and dont build it up real big. I gave friend a short stick of that rod and he used it to fix wifes Olds 98 wheel that leaked similarly.

ALLFAITH
05-14-2009, 07:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Will pull wheel and have it checked professionally in their bathtub, not mine:)

Brad

Ron L
05-14-2009, 07:36 AM
http://www.slime.com/

Works on my bike. Also used it on Lincoln airbags that flattened within hours; three years later it still doesn't leak down.