PDA

View Full Version : Fatman's "tall spindles" for 67-69 Camaro & 68-74 Nova

z51nova
05-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Greetings Guys,

I'm new to the forum and would like to know if anyone has used Fatman's tall spindles and if they work as advertised.

I've read on the Street Rodder's web site that some of Fatman's customers are unsatisfied with their products and especially the customer service once the "poor fitting" parts arrived and didn't fit! I'd like to try the tall spindles in my SOA '74 Nova since the spindle extenders are no-longer available from Dr. Gas!

Thanks for the assist!

kweekley67
05-10-2009, 05:51 PM
This is the same spindle that Air Ride Tech sales and uses on their own cars

carguy502
05-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I have them on my 1969 Nova and 1969 Chevelle. Chevelle is still out for paint, but the Nova has over 40,000 miles on these spindles. My car sutck better using these spindles and a 225-45R17 than my first setup of stock spindles and 245-45R17 tires. Beware, however, these will cause interference between steering knuckle and wheel for most wider wheel combos. I had to space the knuckle in 0.5" using steel specer slugs. This was with a Narrow Trac ECI Brake setup from fatmen and 17X8" wheels with 4.25" backspace. All this could be avoided with a properly sized wheel, but I like mine:idea:.

Best, Don

ProTouring442
05-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Check into the ATS spindle, I think you will find it to be a much better engineered product.

Shiny Side Up!
Bill

carguy502
05-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Check into the ATS spindle, I think you will find it to be a much better engineered product.

This is true, If I had had the money at the time, I would have purchased the ATS Spindles. They will be on the nexy version of my Nova and probably Chevelle.

Best,
Don

SparkyP
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Support Sucks
I just got off the phone with Fatman tech support and their suggestion was to "heat and bend the steering arms." I am not making this up! As you may guess I, along with UniSteer tech support thought that might not be the best idea to say the least!!!

bret
05-14-2010, 06:12 AM
We have been using the Fatmans spindles on Chevelles, Camaros, and Novas for about 4 years with great success. It is taller from balljoint to balljoint which increases the camber gain during suspension compression [tilts the tire into the curve instead of away from it]. We have used both Wilwood and Baer brakes with this spindle with no problems. Other brake kits may work very well but I dont have any personal experience with them.
We beat our cars regularly so I magnaflux our spindles every winter for cracks. I've not encountered any problems and have been running the same set of spindles on Velocity and our 66 Chevelle for the last 3 years.
We also sell these spindle separately form the air suspension package. http://www.ridetech.com/shop/suspension-components/components-hardware/spindles/ridetech-spindle.html

ibuildm
05-14-2010, 06:40 AM
What about the spindle that broke on the Goodguys giveaway Chevelle during a autocross session?

dipren443
05-14-2010, 09:02 AM
Support Sucks
I just got off the phone with Fatman tech support and their suggestion was to "heat and bend the steering arms." I am not making this up! As you may guess I, along with UniSteer tech support thought that might not be the best idea to say the least!!!

The best advice for the laymen? No. But outlandish advice? Not at all. How do you think many steel components are formed? There are post processing stages which are necessary to ensure proper heat treat.

Anyhow, not going to clutter up this thread with Materials Eng. garbage. Just wanted to say that isn't necessarily awful advice.

sebtarta
05-14-2010, 10:31 AM
how about using a tall ball joint like SC&C sell with the stock spindle?

http://www.scandc.com/balljoints.htm

bret
05-14-2010, 10:46 AM
What about the spindle that broke on the Goodguys giveaway Chevelle during a autocross session?

It was an anomoly that was identified and resolved years ago. Bad heat treat on an initial batch of parts. Got them all back, inspected, re-heat treated, and re-inspected. I've been running 4 sets of the re-inspected spindles on Velocity and my other cars for the last 3 years. After annual magnafluxing, no problems.
I still have that Chevelle spindle BTW...thought about putting it on Ebay as a trophy!

Kenova
05-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I still have that Chevelle spindle BTW...thought about putting it on Ebay as a trophy!
You mean you don't have a "Wall of Carnage" !? LOL

Ken

bret
05-15-2010, 06:58 AM
You mean you don't have a "Wall of Carnage" !? LOL

Ken

Actually I do...it's called my checkbook LOL!

My dumpster currently contains 3 engines, 2 rearends, a spindle, the original front splitter off Velocity, 2 bent rim halves, a RR quarter panel from the 66 Chevelle, a RF fender from the black Camaro, RF fender from the Goodguys giveaway Chevelle, RF fender from the Goodguys giveaway Nova, and a semi load of worn out BFG tires. I will stop at this point because I am now depressed!

Almost forgot...the complete right side of a 2005 Corvette from the Bondurant driving school. That's the one that got me started on all this stuff!

Kenova
05-15-2010, 07:04 AM
You should definitely put some of the gnarly stuff on display.
Years ago I dragged my wife to the Garlit's Museum in Ocala Fl. The thing I remember most was the broken and mangled stuff LOL, and he does have a lot of it.

Ken

Rod
05-16-2010, 12:00 AM
Actually I do...it's called my checkbook LOL!

My dumpster currently contains 3 engines, 2 rearends, a spindle, the original front splitter off Velocity, 2 bent rim halves, a RR quarter panel from the 66 Chevelle, a RF fender from the black Camaro, RF fender from the Goodguys giveaway Chevelle, RF fender from the Goodguys giveaway Nova, and a semi load of worn out BFG tires. I will stop at this point because I am now depressed!

Almost forgot...the complete right side of a 2005 Corvette from the Bondurant driving school. That's the one that got me started on all this stuff!

:rotfl: LMAO

you have me beat!! on a few of those, but i did throw away a Porsche 944 track car

SR71
05-16-2010, 02:32 PM
so, bret, how big of a wheel can you guys run on the front of a first gen with stock sub without tie rod interference? I have a set of their spindles and would like to run an 8" wheel, but don't see it happening without mods.

bret
05-17-2010, 04:04 AM
Yes, the wheel to steering arm clearance is quite tight. I have an 8" wheel on Velocity, but had to make a steering arm and a drag link to fit. The biggest wheel/tire that will go on a completely oem setup is probably a 235/40-18 on a 18x7 rim. We have a 245/40-18 on an 8" rim on Velocity.
We were thinking of building these for production but hanven't gotten to it yet.

Jasons72
05-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Why haven't they come out with this spindle without the drop?