PDA

View Full Version : Car Craft - Pro-Touring vs. Pro-Street

JohnnyGMachine
08-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Pretty nice write up in the september issue comparing Pro-Touring vs. Pro-Street. The article is pretty much neutral about each and leaves it up to the enthusiast to decide which they like best. I thought they would do an actual real world shootout between the two but it is a good article illustrating the differences. Kinda cool that it's father vs. son too.

Tony's PT book also got a quick write up with rave reviews!

trapin
08-25-2004, 08:56 AM
In that argument, there's only this to say.....

A Pro-Touring car can play in a Pro-Street's backyard (drag strip).

But a Pro-Street car wouldn't last 5 minutes on a road course.

I still like Pro-Street cars though. When they're done right.

JohnnyGMachine
08-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I agree trapin, that's why I sold off the drag slicks and welds and now have 17s on the stang. The coilovers and sway bars are next.

Brad
08-29-2004, 03:58 PM
Thats the article that lead me to this great site. I am now second guessing my whole set up (more drag than tour). Then I think cars like mine are cheap (for now) so I'll probally buy another one and do it touring style. Keep the a/c and all those comforts for the wife. Yeah, thats it the wife is a good excuse for another project! :attn:

ProdigyCustoms
08-30-2004, 07:23 AM
I have always had cars that handled. I drove Trans Ams since the Smokie and the Bandit days. At those times, they handled well, for the times. Through the years there is always at least one TA, Z28, Vette, some late model performace car that handles in my collection. Heavy into the Pro Tour thing right now, and excited about it, but there is something special about driving a Drag car (for all practuical purposes) on the street. Cruiseing a car capable of dead hooking and going 100MPH in 5.5 seconds, or better yet, able to go 60' in 1.3 seconds, it is a rush.
Being able to pull wheelies is a trade off for not being able to turn, LOL!
The real ***** though is most pro Street cars are slow. 90% never see the track, and when they do they often are very slow considering the 600 CI, 14.71 blower, 2 nitrous kits, and digital injection. But they look cool and probably scare their owners.

Brad
08-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Prodigy, your last sentence sums it up nicely!

I've never been much of a "driver". The car that I have somewhat worked over never handled well at all and it was my first car. I have had a few trucks an '89 9c1 caprice, '83 malibu wagon and a '66 t-bird. As you can see, none of them were cornering machines. Now a straight line oh hell yeah! I have always been all about "street racing" and drag racing. Although I've never ran in a points type system, I have done the grudge match, staurday night events and what not. I like to be able to roll into at 60+ mph in 2nd or 3rd gear (depending on what automatic I have) and gettin' sideways or leaving rubber w/ a 10" tire. Launching and airing the front left or both tires a little bit is always fun too.