PDA

View Full Version : Trying to figure out how to fix my jack.

brrymnvette
05-07-2009, 07:33 PM
We've had this jack in the family about 30 years and it's great. It's not the cheap thin materials they use now. It's a pretty stout jack.

Anyway, the thing won't support any weight. I've got now idea on how to fix it or get parts. I think the o-ring that seals the "piston" between the two chambers is bad, but I'm COMPLETELY talking out of my butt here. B/c I don't even know if it works like that.

It will jack up, but comes down like you don't have the handle turned all the way to tighten it.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix it? I've called every hydraulic shop and none will touch it b/c it's not enough work to make money on.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

MonzaRacer
06-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Look up ATD tool company I have an anniversary model 7331 with the swift lift, came with rubber pad to protect and was awesome, and 1 yrs warranty was great. I had issue with swift lift and they put me in contact with actual company that made it. Got new hydralic unit in like 3 days, works perfect. old one still lifted but swift lift went out.http://www.atdtools.com/images/pics/ATD-7331.jpg

ATD-7331
3-Ton Heavy Duty Hydraulic Service Jack with Swift Lift™
• Innovative Swift Lift™ design offers a quicker lift for professional performance
• The handle connection is specially reinforced to be as firm as the 1-piece handle
• Flanged side frames for added strength and to resist twisting
Capacity (Ton): 3
Minimum Height: 5-3/4"
Maximum Height: 20"
Handle Length: 42-1/8"
Saddle Dia.: 5-1/2"
Shipping Weight: 90 lbs.
Size: 27-1/2" L x 13-3/8" W x 6-3/8" H

Av

MonzaRacer
06-07-2009, 05:50 PM
when it cost between 75 to 125 dollars to go through one just pony up and get a new one, this one is awesome You cant beat ATD service. good luck they have list of distributors on there site.

David Pozzi
06-07-2009, 08:35 PM
First thing is to make sure it has oil in it.
There are two seals inside, one on the piston, one on the shaft.

If you can get it apart, take the piston and seals to a local industrial hydraulic shop and see if you can match them up.
The local hyd shop may know of someone who can rebuild it for you.

69-X44
06-10-2009, 12:03 PM
We had one with the same issues and found a local guy who just put additional oil into it and it worked fine. Most shops would charge you $100 just to look at it. Try the oil first and then take it apart for the o-ring replacement.

cheapta
06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
My local hydraulic shop has a retired guy that comes in and rebuilds floor jacks when they get a few of them in. I know this doesn't help you in MO but maybe somebody local to you offers the same service-it wasn't much.

SatisTraction
06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
i put some tranny stop leak in mine. it swelled the seals up and it has been working for a while.

Syclone892
07-04-2009, 06:37 AM
My dad has that exact same jack :)

He was having the same problem and like you said its made a lot better than the newer stuff unless you pay a lot.

He had his rebuilt by a local jack repair shop his work knows of.

Maybe go to some hydraulic shops and ask if they know of any places that can rebuild them, also check some auto shops since chances are they have had theres fixed at some point.

Good luck :)

Pro Stock
08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
We've had this jack in the family about 30 years and it's great. It's not the cheap thin materials they use now. It's a pretty stout jack.

Anyway, the thing won't support any weight. I've got now idea on how to fix it or get parts. I think the o-ring that seals the "piston" between the two chambers is bad, but I'm COMPLETELY talking out of my butt here. B/c I don't even know if it works like that.

It will jack up, but comes down like you don't have the handle turned all the way to tighten it.

Anyone have ideas on how to fix it? I've called every hydraulic shop and none will touch it b/c it's not enough work to make money on.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

I would remove the hydraulic ram and UPS ground ship it to one of the shops mentioned in this thread. This jack is definately worth saving as the newer jacks are'nt of the quality of yours, this will give you the perfect opportunity to refurbish the rest of the jack while the ram is out getting fixed. I don't know what it will cost you to do this but I don't think that it would cost you much more than $75-$80 and you will end up with a better jack than you could get a new jack for that cost $300

Dale

D Impala95
10-23-2009, 05:48 PM
I have a Lincoln 3 ton floor jack that had the same problem. The seals were bad and Lincoln is out of busines so no support for them anymore. I took it to a local hydrauloc shop and it cost me $10 for the rebuild. Cheap if you compare a new comparable service jack at $600.

Stay away from the Harbor freight and Costco ones. They don't last.