PDA

View Full Version : TKO-600 - how do you tighten this bolt??

rockdogz
08-23-2004, 08:32 AM
How do you tighten this passenger side upper trans bolt??

I can't get a socket, wrench, crow's foot or anything on it.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Thanks

dennis68
08-23-2004, 09:15 AM
I use smaller diameter head bolts and a special socket my Snap-on guy built for me. It is a 1/4" 18" extension with a 3/8" ratchet opening and a swivel 13mm socket on the end. Works great.

Kenova
08-23-2004, 09:20 AM
You could try an Allen head bolt, or a 12 point head bolt from ARP. The allen head bolts are also available in stainless.
Ken

parsonsj
08-23-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm glad you came onto this first. I'll be using allan head capscrews now. Or perhaps reduced head 12 pt bolts. Both available at McMaster Carr.

jp

chevymike
08-23-2004, 11:39 AM
I got a note from Jeff at Classic Chevy 5 Speeds (http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/) about using a allen head cap screw. Worked great. :cool:

rockdogz
08-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Great ideas guys, thanks! Let me know where you track down one of those allen heads.

Tom

parsonsj
08-23-2004, 07:20 PM
Tom,
You'll need a 1/2x13 socket head capscrew. 1.75" or 2" inches in length or so. McMaster has 'em here (http://www.mcmaster.com)

You'll have to buy 10 of 'em.

jp

dennis68
08-23-2004, 09:02 PM
Your local hardware should sell them, not Home Depot or Lowes, but the smaller stores. I know for sure OSH (Orchard Supply) has them and you can buy 1 at a time. I think they are about 1.50/ea.

Jim Nilsen
08-23-2004, 11:24 PM
My Richmond came with reduced 12 point bolt.

Be careful and don't just buy any socket head cap screw. Make sure that it at least a grade 8 or more. Most industrial supply houses will have what you need. Pep Boys actually sells them if you have one near you.

A good hardware store will have them usually along with your local lawnmower repair shop are a couple more places.

I believe the 12 point is stronger by design.

You can also try your local GM , Ford , or Dodge dealer and get an OEM bolt that will have better coatings against corrosion. The money spent on OEM fasteners makes them the best and least expensive at the same time. I strongly recommend this the most and the dealer is more likely to have one or be able to order it. The bolts from McMaster Carr that JP stated also fit into this category.

GM has a general fasteners catalog that your dealer should know how to use and get you what you need. Sometimes you have to buy 5 or 10 to get them to make an order because that is how they come packaged. A good parts guy will be able to find it on a car or truck somewhere in the database they use and get you a part #.

Now that I think of it I bet you could call Richmond or Fortes and get them if all else fails.

Jim Nilsen

parsonsj
08-24-2004, 08:36 AM
As Jim says, McMaster has industrial quality stuff. You can get coated hardware, various grades of SS, zinc coated, etc. etc. I can't recommend McMaster enough. I go online and order the hardware. It's sitting on my doorstep 2 days later. No driving around for hours digging through poorly sorted hardware bins. Sure I often buy more than I need at the time, but I figure I'll probably end up needing it later anyway.

jp

jp

dennis68
08-24-2004, 09:07 AM
FYI, there is no such thing as a socket head cap screw less than grade 8. If I remember correctly the lowest grade screw you could get was a 10.1 (a little higher than grade 10). Once you get over grade 8 the grading system changes a little bit. Pops worked for the Navy as a F16/F18 mechanic for a couple decades, I got quite fluent in aircraft grade fasteners (which cap screws are). Mostly the options are stuff like S/S, ch. mo., black oxide finish or natural.

Hurst - Jeff
08-24-2004, 12:39 PM
Use an allen head bolt - 1 1/2" X 1/2" X 13 (coarse thread).

whytry
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
By chance did you send those Allen bolts with the tranny I just got?

dennis68
08-25-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey Brad, if you can't find them near you I can pick some up on the way home. I could get all 4 and mail them for under 5 bucks. Let me know.

Hurst - Jeff
08-26-2004, 02:58 PM
Brad-
Yes. I include an allen head bolt with each tranny to help save you a trip to the store.
Enjoy!

whytry
08-27-2004, 08:12 AM
Great Thanks Jeff, I hope to start the mock up this weekend and hopefully if all goes well I get the crossmember before Labor Day so I can have it completed and take it out for the 1st drive!!!

Dennis - Thanks for the offer, if you are around and get bored over the next 2 weekends let me know maybe come by and check out my progress.,