PDA

View Full Version : No remote on, ok to us power ant. lead?

Mr Nick
05-07-2009, 07:24 AM
My CustomAutoSound radio has 2 sets of pre-amp outputs, but no remote turn on lead for an amp... Odd.

Can I use the power antenna lead from the radio as a remote turn on for the amp?

Thanks,
Nick

EDIT, got it figured out.

JamesJ
05-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, but some units only send the signal when the "radio" is on, so if you have a CD in then no amps....

Mr Nick
05-07-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, but some units only send the signal when the "radio" is on, so if you have a CD in then no amps....

Hmm, good point. Guess I'll have to test it and find out.

The head unit itself only has a radio, but has aux input which I plan on using for an MP3 player or Sirius Satellite.

CarPlayLB
05-07-2009, 06:49 PM
If the power antenna lead shuts off with the CD, go ahead and use the red (IIRC) wire that turns the unit on with the key. Won't hurt anything and you can be assured that the amp(s) are on when the radio is on.

all wired
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
the problem with using the red accessory wire is that it will leave the amps on even when the radio is off. When you turn on the radio, its going to make a "pop" in your speakers. If this isn't acceptible to you, ( it isn't to me) you can purchase whats called a remote lead generator, I think DEI may make it as well as companies like PAC, Peripheral. You connect it to the speaker output of the stereo, when it senses voltage (audio) it will produce a 12v out to trigger your amp to turn on. Only drawback to it is the amp will turn on approx 3-5 seconds after the stereo starts playing