PDA

View Full Version : Roll bar or No Roll bar

John510
05-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Im deciding if I want to do a full cage for my car. I really like when the 2 front bars go down into the dash (think DSE camaro) and also when there is the 2 bars that come down from the firewall and get welded to the subframe (think 1 lap camaro).

Curious if any of you regret installing one? I figure I better be sure now before I weld one up in there. Also, Does it totally kill the resale of the car?

Mkelcy
05-06-2009, 10:54 PM
Im deciding if I want to do a full cage for my car. I really like when the 2 front bars go down into the dash (think DSE camaro) and also when there is the 2 bars that come down from the firewall and get welded to the subframe (think 1 lap camaro).

Curious if any of you regret installing one? I figure I better be sure now before I weld one up in there. Also, Does it totally kill the resale of the car?

Interesting question. I love what a full cage can do for chassis rigidity, but get sort of turned off by a cage's ability to kill you on the street in an otherwise minor collision.

My choice so far has been no cage, becuase I like living.

Vegas69
05-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I'll reserve my vote until I know the intended purpose of the car?

JEFFTATE
05-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I'll reserve my vote until I know the intended purpose of the car?

Yep ,
Is it a Track Only Car or a Street Car ???

I wouldn't put any bars near my head on a street car.

SDS MACHINING
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
Whats everyones opinion on the "Tiger Cage"? I like the concept and the looks, curious to see if they get it certified by Nov 2009, It has to be quality if Air Ride has there name on it.

XLexusTech
05-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Interesting question. I love what a full cage can do for chassis rigidity, but get sort of turned off by a cage's ability to kill you on the street in an otherwise minor collision.

My choice so far has been no cage, becuase I like living.

Mike can you elaborate on that I bit? Not sure I understand how or why a cage would add to risk on a streetcar

69stang
05-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Mike can you elaborate on that I bit? Not sure I understand how or why a cage would add to risk on a streetcar

I'd say his opinion is based on other discussions on the subject on this forum (the safety thread comes to mind) where its been debated in depth.

John McIntire
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
When you drive around on the street you aren't wearing your helmet. Now imagine getting into a wreck and your bare head whacks one of those tubes. Not going to feel so good.
I have a 6 point in the Chevelle. It was cool at first, but it got real old climbing over those bars every time to get in and out. I might make them swing out, but no time soon. I know it won't be as strong as a solid peice but I spend more time on the street than track, so i'll deal.

What do you plan on using this car for? That would help us answer better.

Mkelcy
05-07-2009, 10:52 AM

Pretty much what 69stang said. When you're on a race track with a cage, you're wearing a helmet and strapped in very tightly. Under those conditions, it's unlikely your head will impact the cage and if it does, you've got a helmet on for protection.

On the street, however, you're almost certainly not wearing a helmet and you're most likely not tightly strapped in. In a collision you'll get tossed around like a doll and if your head connects with the cage, you could be in real trouble and no practical amount of padding on the cage is going to help.

Read this post by Chicane67 for a more authoritative view: https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showpost.php?p=384672&postcount=8

As I said, I'd love to do a good cage for what it would do for the chassis and would do so if I had a track only car (I don't); but in a street driven car I worry about increasing the risk of serious injury in an otherwise survivable collision.

GrabberGT
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
Is there any usefulness in building a short style roll bar. I've seen them on a couple of the Ring Bro. cars. They actually wouldn't qualify as roll bars/cages as they don't provide any roll over protection but from a chassis stiffening aspect, would they provide the same benefit and still be safe for every day cruising. A good design might be the Tiger cage but instead of going up high with the roll bar only go as high as necessary for a harness bar. Or is it even this design that is the problem. Is it more the "halo" bar that is the danger for front passengers.

XLexusTech
05-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info. I run a padded roll cage specifically designed for my seat and head position and strap in always with all 5 points. Track or no track.
So you see their is a bit more to it. I do agree however if you run a kit roll cage, with no padding that may or may not be dangerously close to your melon and you don’t strap in it will certainly ruin your day if you wreck.

John510
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
It will be a show car and occasional weekend driver

Mkelcy
05-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I run a padded roll cage specifically designed for my seat and head position and strap in always with all 5 points. Track or no track.
So you see their is a bit more to it. I do agree however if you run a kit roll cage, with no padding that may or may not be dangerously close to your melon and you don’t strap in it will certainly ruin your day if you wreck.

For purposes of discussing a collison, padding on the rollbar is irrelevant.

If you ALWAYS strap in as if you were on a race course and your cage is constructed so there's no chance of your head hitting a bar regardless how hard the car hits/is hit by something, your sense of being okay may be justified.

XLexusTech
05-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Under those stips... No roll bar/cage

Vegas69
05-07-2009, 05:31 PM

Do you intend to use the back seat? I voted no roll bar. If you don't intend to use the back seat a 4 point may not be a bad idea incase you change your mind about racing.

John510
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Do you intend to use the back seat? I voted no roll bar. If you don't intend to use the back seat a 4 point may not be a bad idea incase you change your mind about racing.

Yea I was going to be having kids soon (wife is trying at the moment) and would want to bring my kid in there when they are old enough. Hmm.. It would probably look stupid if I just did the firewall to subframe bars with no actual cage in the car though.

Vegas69
05-07-2009, 07:00 PM
No contest.....a roll bar does not belong in a car meant to carry kids in the back seat.

Mkelcy
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Yea I was going to be having kids soon (wife is trying at the moment) and would want to bring my kid in there when they are old enough. Hmm.. It would probably look stupid if I just did the firewall to subframe bars with no actual cage in the car though.

Is there something I don't understand about the process? You're posting and she's trying to have a child while you're posting? :)

John510
05-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Is there something I don't understand about the process? You're posting and she's trying to have a child while you're posting? :)

I can multitask:spank2:

Flash68
05-07-2009, 07:55 PM
Absolutely no cage.

Now get back to work (making babies that is) :1st:

NOT A TA
05-07-2009, 07:56 PM
Family outings with kids in the back seat = no cage.

vintageracer
05-08-2009, 04:06 AM

No roll bar or cage

Steve68
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM

Cage not needed,

I'm still on the debating side for my own car, I will do track time with the car and I want to drive it on the street,