PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Retrosound head unit?

68byrd
05-06-2009, 05:10 AM
I want to keep the radio looking somewhat stock in our firebird but I also would like an AUX audio input in the car for an MP3 player. The Retrosound radio looks very interesting. I was wondering if anyone has used it? Thanks.

Here is the link:
http://yhst-95280463928743.stores.yahoo.net/retrosound-model-one-radio-new-limited-inventory.html

derekf
05-06-2009, 05:31 AM
The reviews on Crutchfield are glowing.

lnirenberg
07-03-2009, 03:36 AM
I want to keep the radio looking somewhat stock in our firebird but I also would like an AUX audio input in the car for an MP3 player. The Retrosound radio looks very interesting. I was wondering if anyone has used it? Thanks.

Here is the link:
http://yhst-95280463928743.stores.yahoo.net/retrosound-model-one-radio-new-limited-inventory.html
Go with the 630 as it has all the latest bells and whistles and I think it allows an ipod to be controlled through the head unit. I am running mine through a JL bizzilion channel amp and a sh** load of speakers including a trunk mounted sub. It can also run a remote CD player. Its not the same quality as the Kenwood in my Chevelle but not that far off once its run through a high quality amp and if you want the vintage look it gets it done. The other option, one I used in my stock Chrysler, is to have your original radio gutted and have new electronic guts with a rear mounted RCA pick up in the back for the ipod. Go through Hemmings on line classified and you'll find lots of companies who do this. Down side to conversion is they are functionally a pain in the ass to use and an RCA jack doesn't charge the IPod. In a pro-touring restoration I wouldn't bother.

wmhjr
07-03-2009, 03:59 AM
The 630 is a Custom AutoSound and not a RetroSound product. I hear that the Retro Sound is a higher quality unit, though who really knows. As for custom auto sound, I've talked to them a few times. I'm interested in a Secret Audio. They don't seem very well run as a company. Timing is the issue for me, since they're close to a year late in releasing their product and the previous version was discontinued months ago. If I was really concerned about audio quality I'd stay away but it really won't get used much and in a convertible with a built motor I won't be able to hear it much anyway.

lnirenberg
07-03-2009, 06:04 AM
The 630 is a Custom AutoSound and not a RetroSound product. I hear that the Retro Sound is a higher quality unit, though who really knows. As for custom auto sound, I've talked to them a few times. I'm interested in a Secret Audio. They don't seem very well run as a company. Timing is the issue for me, since they're close to a year late in releasing their product and the previous version was discontinued months ago. If I was really concerned about audio quality I'd stay away but it really won't get used much and in a convertible with a built motor I won't be able to hear it much anyway.
Oops, I stand corrected. I looked at both companies and talked to and listened to users of both and I didn't hear a lot of difference. The major difference in sound quality was what the head unit ran through,-amp, speakers and subs--as 25,30,40 watts per channel on a head unit doesn't deliver the crisp sound you get with external power. I also wanted to use the hidden stereo and ran out of time waiting for the new system. I'm sure you could find dealers with stock but I concluded if its being replaced then how good could it be?

wmhjr
07-03-2009, 07:08 AM
I've looked - if you want an RF based secret audio, there are none anywhere and have not been for some time. I know where there's a used one, but since parts will likely be non-existent based on what I've observed with CAS, I'm not going to do that. I've talked to the guy at Custom Auto Sound a few times over the past several months. Every time it's a new story with a new date. Because mine would be trunk mounted and there is some sort of proprietary DIN cable (which they can neither provide nor can they describe specs) that runs from the front to the back, I've got limited time before they are no longer a possibility. My comment about the comparison between the two was based on build quality - not sound quality. Let's face it, neither are geared toward real audiophiles.

I'm having some issues with getting my shop to make progress on paint, so we'll see about timing.

JamesJ
07-03-2009, 08:03 AM
Not sure if this helps but yo can mount any head unit in the trunk and if it is a detachable face, most any good high end car audio store can run a cable from the unit to the face plate that you can leave loose under the seat or mount it.

wmhjr
07-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks. I know. I just really want an RF control so that everything can be completely hidden and no wires or cables to mess with at all once it's installed. We'll see.

hypa
07-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I have the retrosound, and it's a great unit.
Unfortunately it takes a lot of work to make these cars sound good, but for someone who wants a stock looking HU, with a great list of options, I recommend checking it out.

I run sat radio into the aux port, and a 4 gb memory stick in the USB port. Here it is mounted in my 67' Beaumont.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/07/IMGP3291-1.jpg