PDA

View Full Version : media blasting but have ?'s to prime or not please help!!

brans72
05-05-2009, 04:08 PM
I am having my car media blasted and have talked to 2 Pros who say I can have my car media blasted and leave it bare metal while I replaced 1/4's,trunk,shave firewall and few patches.The car will be in a closed garageand has A/C but I will probably open main garage door from time to time and I live in North Carolina. I just wanna make sure this is ok to do as body work might take 3 months. I just wanna work with clean metal so blasting then replacing is what I perfer. Any advice or tips???? oh just so you know it is est 74% humidity right now,65 degress and light rain today this time of year we have least 45 % humidity. please help me out!!!!!!

vintageracer
05-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I have had metal cars soda blasted and they have sat in the garage for over 1 year without any degradation in the metal or surface rust. The soda ash helps protect the bare metal. I also did not have to remove the glass or window trim chrome for this process either.

I have had a car plastic media blasted that sat in the same garage that did start to surface rust within the first 2 months.

I have used chemical stripper and had a car sit for 3 months in bare metal. The only surface rusting was were the stripper was not properly cleaned off with lacquer thinner.

I have mechanically sanded a car with a DA and paper. This resulted in the quickest surface rusting to appear.

I am in Nashville, Tn. It gets hot and humid!

Depends on the media used for stripping and the storage conditions as to whether your car will surface rust and the time frame during which this will occur!

brans72
05-05-2009, 04:25 PM
intersting info!!!!!!

vp23271
05-05-2009, 04:49 PM
For my car:
They blasted it
Vac'd out the extra media left behind
Prepped the surface by wiping it down
Put primer on it within the first 24 hrs
Repaired what metal need to be replaced
Primed the new patch panels
Then went over the whole car with DP90 to seal it

You could leave it bare for "X" number of months, but putting primer on it after it's been blasted is a good idea. Putting the DP90 on it just buys you all the time you will need to finish the project. I hate doing things twice and the DP90 seals the body.

jackfrost
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
I had my shell blasted before Thanksgiving and I've only had a couple small spots show up. I think 3 months you should be fine.

wmhjr
05-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Had mine media blasted, then I inspected it, then had it epoxy primered. I knew it would be more than 6 months before paint and didn't want to risk rust. In hindsight I don't know if I'd do it the same way again.

JRouche
05-06-2009, 06:36 PM
Good info!!! JR

I have had metal cars soda blasted and they have sat in the garage for over 1 year without any degradation in the metal or surface rust. The soda ash helps protect the bare metal. I also did not have to remove the glass or window trim chrome for this process either.

I have had a car plastic media blasted that sat in the same garage that did start to surface rust within the first 2 months.

I have used chemical stripper and had a car sit for 3 months in bare metal. The only surface rusting was were the stripper was not properly cleaned off with lacquer thinner.

I have mechanically sanded a car with a DA and paper. This resulted in the quickest surface rusting to appear.

I am in Nashville, Tn. It gets hot and humid!

Depends on the media used for stripping and the storage conditions as to whether your car will surface rust and the time frame during which this will occur!

CROMAN69Z28
05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
I took a plasma to my 1/4s before blasting my camaro. it allowed me to reach places i couldnt have otherwise. after blast, i epoxy primed everything, even the inside of sail panels. it takes very little effort and/or time to sand off 2-3 coats of epoxy when you're ready to weld. just make sure you trace your 1/4s with a sharpie and cut 4-6 inches INSIDE the line. that was my approach and i couldnt be happier.

edog1
05-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I would seal to protect it from rust. A little time and money spent now will save in the long run. You never know if your project will take longer than expected and do you want to stress about rusting. Another concern, I wouldn't want people touching bare metal with their hands the oil and dirt may contaminate the metal. Just my opinion good luck with your project