PDA

View Full Version : TKO-600 install??

whytry
08-23-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey all,

I was wondering if anybody who got a TKO-600 and converted from AT to stick has completed the install yet. I am getting ready to order mine and I did not want to tear out the motor and then reinstall it since it was a real headache to put in in the 1st place, and possible lack on help from buddies who are starting school makes it harder to get helping hands. So I wanted to know when doing this conversion how hard was it to mock up the tranny to cut the hole for the shifter? Or does anybody have a template they could send me? I am going to be doing this conversion in the gargage at my house, so no lift and I will be trying to do this hopefully in a week or so.

Anyhelp would be appreciated.

THX

dennis68
08-23-2004, 09:17 AM
Hey Brad, I found the easiest way is just to hang the trans on the bellhousing and jack it into place-it will become obvious where sheetmetal needs to be removed. I just cut alittle at a time as I went. Then lower it down and clean up the opening. I did mine in the street in front of my house in a couple hours by myself. Really not a big deal.

whytry
08-23-2004, 10:12 AM
Thanks Dennis, I knew somebody had to further along on this install than me... How is your car coming anyways?

Was the rest of the install fairly straight forward? Is installing the pedals, linkage, clutch fork, etc, fairly simple. These might be remedial questions for some of you guys, but not me. I can do everything else on the car, but I have not done this change over yet.... It looks pretty straight forward and simple but I thought I would ask here 1st, just in case....

THanks again

zbugger
08-23-2004, 10:38 AM
Hey Brad, if you want, give me a shout. I may be able to help you if you can't find anyone else. At least if I have time I can... Let me know.

whytry
08-23-2004, 10:50 AM
OK Allen I will be more than likely doing the install not this weekend but next. I have a wedding in Monterey I am attending..... I am hoping to get my current setup out of the car during this week so after work I will be working away on getting it prepped, etc...

Allen I changed phone's but I have the same number, so I do not have yours anymore if you still have mine give me a call or email me with yours. [email protected] THanks for possibly helping me out.

dennis68
08-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Brad, it is very remeadial. If I wasn't so damn busy I'd come by and bang it in for you-really shouldn't take more than a few hours alone, less with help. The only time consuming items will be cutting the hole (without making a huge mess) and maybe setting up the linkage.
As it is I won't even get a chance to get back on my bucket for a couple weeks-and the weather isn't looking too nice lately.:crying:

whytry
08-23-2004, 01:09 PM
I figured it was pretty remedial, but I thought I would check. I figure I can weld C notches in the frame and box it all in and then build a 2 link and panhard for the Tahoe I drive daily so this should be pretty straight forward.... Thanks for the input... I appreciate your kindness in offering to help too. If you get some time on your hands and are bored cruise down to San Jose and we can bang it out, Allen is planning on coming by too... So between the 3of us we might have 1 car that is working!!!!! :banghead:

spanky the wondermuffin
08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
i seem to remember there is a clip on the end of the pivot shaft for the pedals that is a pain until you've done it once or twice.one of those standing on your head all up under the dash jobs.i'd make allen do it.

whytry
08-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Really... OK then I guess Spanky volunteered you for that part Allen...