PDA

View Full Version : 4th gen rears done but ?

Railing68
03-17-2005, 10:57 PM
I just finished complete 93-7 z28 pbr swap on my 12 bolt. I used the GM brackets and shimed the calipers. I got the rotor flush using lugs and washers then test fit and centered the caliper. Everything went ok but a kit might of been easier, especially the bracket end of things. Anyway, I realize that there should be some drag which there is and the wheels can be turned fine. But I notice that each side seems to have a spot in the rotation that has more drag. The calipers seem pretty well shimmed and if they were not wouldn't there be excessive drag constantly? It almost seems like a high spot or something. Should I just consider this due to an older housing or axles are not perfectly flat or ? I haven't driven it yet but any input would be appreciated. I am not a 100% sure that there is a problem but it seems wrong to me. SS

MrQuick
03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Make sure you rotors are sitting flush on the axle, im running aftermarket axles so my flange in the correct diameter. I remember having to turn down stock axles abit.
You can use white grease to make sure.

dhardison
03-18-2005, 08:51 PM
I agree with Vince, check the axle flange and center hub diameter as well as the axle flange 'face' for trueness. When I installed the rear discs on my 12-bolt I also had to have my stock axle flanges turned down a bit, about 1/8" IIRC. Along with that I had the center hub turned down 1/32". My center hub had a "lip" near the face of the flange which wouldn't allow the rotor to sit flush. Just to be safe I also had the "face" of the axle flange turned a couple thousandths to get it true.

Railing68
03-19-2005, 06:46 PM
I rechecked everything and chamfered the stud holes making sure the knurls were not interfering. I also re-shimmed the calipers and it eliminated the drag. Needless to say I was stoked. The ebrake cables I got from Touring Classics were nice pieces that worked great. Brakes work great. Thanks for the suggestions. SS

68BNUT
03-19-2005, 07:07 PM
It took me several attempts to get the calipers and the brackets to get it correct, but once i finally got it all done. You cant get your arm far enough around to pat your back hahahaha