PDA

View Full Version : 1974 AMC Javelin Trans Am--Need Rendering!

cmarcus
05-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey All!
I am looking for someone who can do a killer rendering--along the quality of Carter Hickman's work. Is there anyone out there willing to do this quality of a rendering for fun? If so, here is what I am looking for...

-This car--1974 AMC Javelin, with this Trans Am style influence, side exit exhaust and all
http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/race/71ta0004.jpg

-Either a Burnt Orange or Candy apple red with matte black hood

-Same wheels as here in Project 1/2 Track's rendering
https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42059

And also the number 7 in a white circle on the side of the car and on the hood on an angle.

I know this is a lot, but I need to have a vision to work off of!

Thanks so much!
cmarcus

oestek
05-01-2009, 08:05 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

suh-WEET!

jackfrost
05-04-2009, 10:34 AM
heh... I have a different pic of that car as my desktop wallpaper. I never get tired of looking at it.

post up if you get a rendering.

rjsjea
05-04-2009, 02:34 PM
I think I am gonna call a carpenter and see if they wanna build me new kitchen cabinets for fun (free).....

Anyway, I dig the vintage road race style. Good luck :)

sharpie
05-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Yeah, I'm sorry. I know it's hard-times-U.S.A. right now and all, but a badass rendering isn't going to be free...

asifnyc
05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
uh yep... that's my favorite car of all time. Where are you located? you can see that car in person on may 30th at Infineon Raceway (north of San Francisco) at the annual "wine country classic"...

My Javelin paint scheme is based on the '71 Roy Woods Racing Javelins. good luck with your project. post pics of your car.

LateNight72
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I agree. A color change, or wheel change is one thing. A full on rendering is another.

cmarcus
05-05-2009, 05:08 AM
Yeah, I figured just as much, but I thought I might as well ask! What does a rendering along those lines normally run?

hdesign
05-05-2009, 05:48 AM
If you like Carter's work, give him a call and see what a rendering would cost. I'm proud to say he's a friend of mine and I have no problem at all sending work his way if I cannot do the job or if my style of rendering isn't a good fit for a client.

There are a lot of artists and designers that are contributing members here and on Lateral-g (and other forums). I'm friends with most of them and I'm sure they'd be happy to talk to you about your project and give you a quote. Ultimately, you're going to have to look at your budget, look at styles and select an artist/designer that'll work well with you.

One thing to consider is what you need the art for. Are you looking at replicating the car as a portrait/cool garage art? Almost any artist can do that. If you are undecided about many aspects of the build (wheels, paint schemes, body mods, adding fender flares, spoilers and hood scoops) then the project may require someone with design experience. Designers help you with these decisions and the renderings we produce are just a tool to convey what it is you are trying to do so that everyone is on the same page (owner, fabricator, painter, upholsterer, sponsor). The investment up front in a rendering will save you more than that in labor, materials and headaches.

Renderings have become a necessity in any successful build rather than a luxury cost only for the well-heeled or premier shops. You probably wouldn't build a house without blueprints and you definitely wouldn't attempt a custom house without talking to an architect. With build costs often approaching house construction costs, there's really no difference in the need for a pro to handle it for you and get you on a clear path for a great ride you can be proud of.

I will say that this is one of those services where you truly get what you pay for. If the work is done for free, expectations need to be realistic. Sometimes the younger guys that are getting into the industry can do the work for a reduced rate because they are honing their skills and trying to get their names out there. Plus, for the most part, they are side jobs they do in their spare time. If your project requires only a minimum of items to be worked out, maybe that is a great way to go.

Some designers like myself do this full-time as a means to support our families. I have been lucky enough to get enough great projects to allow me to do this (after a lot of sleepless nights). Though, I cannot do work for free, I do offer competitive prices for professional level work. Please take a look at my work as well, link below. I can send additional work if needed.

cmarcus
05-05-2009, 06:11 AM
Ben,
I really appreciate the input! That really gives me a lot to think about as I move closer to the build. I am a little ways out yet, so I tihnk after haring what you have to say, I should wait, as we all know that our ideas change as we close in on the build! Thanks again! I am on here often, so I will let you know if I need any further help! Thanks again.

sharpie
05-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Ben has some great words of advice. I am one of those young guys of which he speaks, and my prices are much lower, but the quality difference between mine and Ben's is clear when you look at my gallery (http://sharpie1k.deviantart.com) and his.

cityofthesouth
05-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Just wanted to throw out that there is no reason to wait. The only way you'll get to use the rendering to its full potential is to use it for its intended purpose. I like to encourage people to go all out when I draw for them and then work backwards. Try stuff out to see if it works then tweak it or let the artist take your idea and create something that works well as a package. What you get for your money is someone who is creative and understands design, AND you get to work with that person rather than figure it out on your own and find out later that it's not how you envisioned it.

hdesign
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
Colter is dead on....you don't want to put the cart before the horse. It's extremely frustrating to be limited in options at the end because of a bad design decision early in the process. You have no idea how many new clients (some big names too) come to me when they're 65% of the way there and run into a wall. Then we have 3 times the work to salvage the project. Not a big deal when you're looking to change a color but beyond that redos become impossible because of budget or time.

That's why my tag line is "Paper is cheaper than metal and paint."

DarkBuddha
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
There are lots of folks that can do basic renderings and photochops for next to nothing (or maybe nothing). I used to do them when I had the time just for fun, but with 2 kids, doctoral exams, dissertation, my own projects, and a supportive SWMBO, I just don't have much time for it anymore. Maybe in a month or two.

DVierstra
05-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Colter and Ben give some very sound advice!

Always best to:

• Come up with some basic plan

• Create a list of things you DO like (such as a build list)

• Hire an artist with experience and or knowledge to help in the design process.

Making changes through the rendering/designing process is much cheaper than making them on the car itself...not to mention the time and frustration.