PDA

View Full Version : Online Steel Catalog

airrj1
08-23-2004, 07:23 AM
I am fairly new to fabricating stuff, and I am looking for an online (preferably) or catalog of standard steel shapes and sizes and thicknesses. I have a few local shops that I get my steel from but I would like to see what types of steel I can get before I go into the shop and try to order something. Basically I would like to see what size and thickness Angles, U-channels, bars, rounds, tubes, etc. that are commonly available.

As an example I would like to build a stand out of square tubing with an adjustable mount on it. I am thinking that I would like to use a piece of 1" square tubing and then get a piece of 1.125" square tubing with an .062" wall to slide over the 1". I am assuming that these are common sizes, however I have no knowledge if this is true.

Can anyone point me toward such a resource? :help:

Thanks.

R.J.

astroracer
08-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Your local distributor should be able to supply you with a size catalog.
If not here is an online site I use.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/

Matt@RFR
08-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Any of the online metals places are pretty convenient, and sometimes have stuff that you can't find locally, but beware, you're gonna pay BIGTIME for that convenience. For example, I just bought a bunch of 3/4x3/4x.065 mild steel square tube for $.457/lineal foot.

For the very same stuff, www.onlinemetals.com charges (at best) $.938/ft, and when you break down shipping, it's another $1.713/ft for shipping (to California) for a grand total of $2.65/ft!!!!

They are good resources for what you are looking for though.

airrj1
08-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Thanks Guys. I did a little more digging myself and I found a nice PDF stocklist @ http://www.thewarrencompany.com/STCKLIST.HTM

This is really cool because I can load this on my PDA and have it with me all of the time.

It will be helpful when I am dreaming of projects and I won't have to call my shop every time to ask if I can get X. :cool:

R.J.

Matt@RFR
08-23-2004, 12:00 PM
RJ, I only did a quick scan of their aluminum stock, but it's nowhere near complete.

I have a data book (about 5 1/2" x 8 1/2") that I'll mail you if you want. It deals mostly in low carbon steels, but most sizes are standard to chrome moly, aluminum, stainless, high carbon steels, etc etc.

It's not new by any stretch of the imagination, but certainly useable...and the price is right!

jcs
08-27-2004, 01:01 PM
I got some stuff from a local Metals Supermarkets...www.metalsupermarkets.com. They are franchises that tend to cater to small quanitites, there was one in my town. Nice people, prices were reasonable.

airrj1
09-01-2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks Matt :cool: