PDA

View Full Version : 69 bird paint ideas I need to bounce off someone

Snakeater
04-28-2009, 12:07 PM
I have this idea to paint my 69 bird with the same general two tone paint scheme as some of the mopars use( Hemi cuda and the like). I nice eye grabbing color on the body with a black hood roof and decklid. Does anyone have pics of something like this or am I being to moparlicious with my ideas. Base colors that I am torn between are PPG vibrance colors one is a eye popping lime green. The other is a Kandy tangerine. Gimme some input here or have I lost my mind. Thanks in advance. Snakeater

Tom Welch
04-30-2009, 05:36 PM
Do it. It WILL look good.

GM Muscle
05-12-2009, 11:18 AM
i really like the whole vibrance line. i think the green would look really good. you might try breaking the two colors up with a silver or a neon green. i also always try to keep it darkest on top as i helps the car look lower. go for it

JayR
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM
If you haven't started it yet or are still wondering if it will look good, I would strongly suggest hiring a designer like myself or others on this site. It's cheap insurance and will keep you from having all the time and money invested in a paint job that didn't quite turn out the way you hoped. Just my $.02 so let me know if I can lend a hand.

Snakeater
05-28-2009, 11:07 AM
after some thought I think I would leave out the roof and just do the hood and deck lid with black. That would make it easiler to cleanly break the colors instead of having to use another color to break the line. I am more or less looking for a different effect, not the same old two tone or base color with stripes, that has been done so often it is comical. Snakeater

Josh69
06-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I would hire a designer, or try it in tinted primers first. FWIW, my '69 bird is all black, but the hood is currently flat black. It looks like crap. If the gaps aren't perfect, and they won't be with an aftermarket 400 hood or especially glass or carbon, it'll look even worse (they all bow up in the center along the sides). I would suggest bringing in the body color an inch or two onto the hood and decklid. My original decklid even has a gap, and it's way too noticeable if the paints are a different 'sheen'. With that said, do gloss if you can. The flat black just sucks at everything. Greasy handprints, bug splatter, appearance, cleanliness, etc. I have owned several Ducati Monster Darks that were flat, same problem. I will never own another one. My buddies gloss black Triumph Speed Triple always made mine look cheap next to it.