PDA

View Full Version : Suspension help and advice needed

poormans69
04-27-2009, 11:44 AM
Not to hijack the thread but I'm building my 69 Camaro to take some twisties and turnies on an uber low budget. So far I have done the Guldstrand mod by chopping off the a-arm mount, cutting it, and welding it back on. I have bought Bilstein shocks and recently purchased greasable steel bushings for the stock a-arms (tubulars are out of my budget). I'm wondering if the hotchkis 2" drop springs are good for this kind of set up or if I should try something else (budget oriented) such as the landrum type adjusters with springs. Also, where should I look for a buget sway bar? I would really like to get out there and have some fun with what little I have. Every week I look at pictures and videos of everyone doing hotlaps and having a blast, and I'm over here rubbing my legs together like a cricket. I'm jonezin for some action.

Thanks for listening. And moderators, if this is out of line or in the wrong spot, feel free to slap this post around where it needs to be.

Thanks in advance to everyone that inspires me to dump money in my car. My wife doesn't thank you.

mpozzi
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I'm building my 69 Camaro to take some twisties and turnies on an uber low budget. So far I have done the Guldstrand mod by chopping off the a-arm mount, cutting it, and welding it back on. I have bought Bilstein shocks and recently purchased greasable steel bushings for the stock a-arms (tubulars are out of my budget). I'm wondering if the hotchkis 2" drop springs are good for this kind of set up or if I should try something else (budget oriented) such as the landrum type adjusters with springs. Also, where should I look for a buget sway bar? I would really like to get out there and have some fun with what little I have. Every week I look at pictures and videos of everyone doing hotlaps and having a blast, and I'm over here rubbing my legs together like a cricket. I'm jonezin for some action.

Thanks for listening. And moderators, if this is out of line or in the wrong spot, feel free to slap this post around where it needs to be.

Thanks in advance to everyone that inspires me to dump money in my car. My wife doesn't thank you.

I'll offer my .02 here but may elect to move the post to the Suspension section ...

If you're on a budget and want a good handling car, definitely look at the bolt-on systems that are available. You don't have to go with an entire package and can mix/match if prices dictate this but be aware that packages are designed and engineered to compliment the end result. Replace front and rear springs as a package and the same for bars. With bars, look at how they're mounted to the vehicle as you'll be driving the car in a relatively stressful environment. I'll also endorse Hotchkis as that's what's on my '73 and their TVS system is also available from other suppliers. Check around for the best price and you can also call them directly. You will usually get a better price on an entire suspension package vs buying piecemeal.

We have a guy up in Northern CA that runs a '69 for track days and local autocrosses. He's got a basic suspension system with what you're describing and does great.

You can do these upgrades in stages. Go with springs and shocks first and then add bars. Del-a-Lum or similar control arm bushings also will help solidify the suspension. Install solid body bushings and no, this will not affect the quality of ride (trust me on this). There's tons of fun aftermarket suspension goodies available for the first gens from a variety of manufacturers.

Upper tubular arms will give you better caster but due to budget constraints, stay with OEM lowers for now. And start looking at wheels and tires with brake fitment allowances. A good set of rubber will enhance the good suspension and steering which, in turn, will make your car that much more fun.

As you're somewhat financially challenged here, you may have to go back and disassemble parts later in the game. Replacing the control arms at the same time as the springs is optimum but something that may not be in the budget. Initially, just get some springs and shocks on that car and then go drive it. Save a little more and upgrade the sway bars; go drive it some more. Learn about the suspension and feel before making more changes as tuning and development takes time. My car isn't the most sophisticated nor has the latest and greatest of aftermarket suspensions/subs but I know it pretty well and have tons of fun driving it hard or easy. You can as well.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi