PDA

View Full Version : YEOWZA!! 19/20 snowflakes on the platinum bandit!

formula
04-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Dunno if you 'bird fans have seen this yet...so huge!!

Curious what you guys think?

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/174JPG_Thumbnail1jpg_Thumbnail1-1.jpg

BonzoHansen
04-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Dunno if you 'bird fans have seen this yet...so huge!!

Curious what you guys think?

I'm only answering because you asked. IMO (and it's just that) it looks awful. It looks way out of proportion.

But the wheels are nice looking. Knock them down to 17 or 18 and it's probably a winner.

The blue car next to it looks great. :)

1badchevelle
04-26-2009, 06:50 PM
I Likey I am looking for one for my next project.

BaddestBuick
04-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Just too big, especially in the front IMO

formula
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm only answering because you asked. IMO (and it's just that) it looks awful. It looks way out of proportion.

But the wheels are nice looking. Knock them down to 17 or 18 and it's probably a winner.

i should clarify--i'm not even considering these for my car in the least, so no worries about offending me. Only reason I didn't post my own opinion is, well, if you can't say somethin' nice...

Throttle
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
I would run 17's or 18's.. 19's are just to big..

BaddestBuick
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM
It is a sexxy wheel, I would do 19's in back and 18's front:)

Samckitt
04-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Too big.

mone
04-26-2009, 07:40 PM
its just the angle of the pic that makes it look funny

cheapthrillz
04-26-2009, 07:44 PM
its just the angle of the pic that makes it look funny

I think it may be the fact that the wheels are too big that makes it look funny..... jmo

79-TA
04-26-2009, 08:24 PM

Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth. I hate 19"+ wheels on second gens. They make the car look like those stupid out of proportion Dub toy cars. I can't wait for that fad to run its course and die. Why Forgeline doesn't make TA3's in more normal sizes is beyond me.

Just a note; no race car at the entire Long Beach Grand Prix ran anything larger than an 18" wheel.

Flash68
04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Yeah they would be money in 17/18 combo.

1nkred1ble
04-26-2009, 09:23 PM
mannnn
dont listen to the negativity, BIGGER IS BETTER.
IMO those wheels are what make that car look so nice.
Why is it EVERY TIME somebody even mentions bigger wheels people go into a panic attack???
i dont know maybe because im a younger guy, but why is it a bad idea to add something contemporary to something classy???
holy crapy this is pt.com not dontgetanywheelslargerthen18'sorelsewewillstarthav ingconvulsions.com

O'Neall
04-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I tend to think 18s is pushing it on gen2 cars (17s is perfect). So these 19s & 20s just look way too big IMO. Just totally screws up the proportions of the car.

I think the new cast YO 17x9" snowflakes look perfect on a gen2 car.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/mrtransam5/77%20bird/DCP_3230.jpg
http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww184/mrtransam5/77%20bird/DCP_3235.jpg

79-TA
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
mannnn
Why is it EVERY TIME somebody even mentions bigger wheels people go into a panic attack???
i dont know maybe because im a younger guy, but why is it a bad idea to add something contemporary to something classy???
holy crapy this is pt.com not dontgetanywheelslargerthen18'sorelsewewillstarthav ingconvulsions.com

I'm 22, so you can drop the age card. Some of us think that out of proportion wheels look bad. Furthermore, this is a pro-touring site where performance is the ultimate goal as opposed to static looks. 19 inch wheels hamper performance with added weight and a greater moment of inertia. The larger overall diameter even raises the cg of the car a bit. 19's are for show, not go, and I'm just not into that sort of thing.

The 19" styling can work on some larger cars, but not 2nd gen F-bodies IMO.

cheapthrillz
04-26-2009, 09:51 PM
mannnn

Dude, you're way off... nobody here has a problem with big wheels. It's just that over a certain size, they provide no extra performance. With that being said, bigger is better to an extent. The extent is that as long as it doesn't infringe upon the looks of the car, and this case, most are agreeing that it DOES.... When you look at the car, all you see is wheels, not "holy **** it's a Platinum Bandit!".

And I'm 22 also BTW

Mr.VENGEANCE
04-26-2009, 10:08 PM
its just retardedly too big... i can live with the 20s out back.. but the fronts gotta be 18s, ol sport.

holschen
04-27-2009, 02:08 AM
looks more like 20 on both front and rear
but i think those are beutiful wheels :1st:
maybe 2 inch less in the front and 1 inch less in the rear
and they´ve been perfekt... for me that is:lurk:

Code Red
04-27-2009, 06:35 AM
too big on those wheels

WS6
04-27-2009, 06:40 AM
18's look great on these cars. I'll be putting them on my TA eventually. The Ban III cars from Year One have the 18in rims on them. Those to me looks perfect. The 17s are nice as well. 19+ is too out of proportion. There's not enough tire in there to look right. Nice car overall though.

Thanks for posting pics of the 17in cats wheels O'Neal. I think I may have to go with those in the mean time until I can afford the 18in forged ones. Is that your car? I thought you had gone with the forged rims as well?

radback
04-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Size doesn't matter, wheels design is everything.

I doubt the front is 19 only.
I like big wheels, but these ones looks too big to me.

Curious how the 19" (front) on this car looks bigger than my 20" on my car :

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/174JPG_Thumbnail1jpg_Thumbnail1-1.jpg

O'Neall
04-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for posting pics of the 17in cats wheels O'Neal. I think I may have to go with those in the mean time until I can afford the 18in forged ones. Is that your car? I thought you had gone with the forged rims as well?

No, that's not my car. It's a Formula clone of a member over at TAC. Just a really good example a car with a great stance and the new YO cast 17x9s.

I do have a set of the billet 17s (they're billet not forged)... but also bought a set of these cast 17s... for $639 shipped to my door I couldn't resist... and I actually like them better than the billets. I may sell my billets I don't know yet. Haven't decided.

1nkred1ble
04-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Dude, you're way off... nobody here has a problem with big wheels. It's just that over a certain size, they provide no extra performance. With that being said, bigger is better to an extent. The extent is that as long as it doesn't infringe upon the looks of the car, and this case, most are agreeing that it DOES.... When you look at the car, all you see is wheels, not "holy **** it's a Platinum Bandit!".

And I'm 22 also BTW

no matter what anybody says, i applaud dude's creativity, taking a original wheel design such as that one and bringing it to 2009. NICEEEE!!!!
With that said think about it, if it was up to you guys, NOBODY would eveerrrrr go with a bigger size then 18's. It would be sssooo boring being able to predict what the next guy is going to do...
And even if the ultimate goal on this website is performance... how can you be sure that that was that guys intentions?????
those wheels look good, and people need to stop being so critical of what the next guy likes, not everybody has the same taste.
its just mind boggling how everybody jumps on ppl for going bigger then 18, when they are most likely pissed off a older generation with something they have in their car.
Honestly think about your dad or grandad, 9 out of 10 times they would look at your car and rather have it look a lil bit more original.

6'9"Witha69
04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
no matter what anybody says, i applaud dude's creativity, taking a original wheel design such as that one and bringing it to 2009. NICEEEE!!!!
With that said think about it, if it was up to you guys, NOBODY would eveerrrrr go with a bigger size then 18's. It would be sssooo boring being able to predict what the next guy is going to do...
And even if the ultimate goal on this website is performance... how can you be sure that that was that guys intentions?????
those wheels look good, and people need to stop being so critical of what the next guy likes, not everybody has the same taste.
its just mind boggling how everybody jumps on ppl for going bigger then 18, when they are most likely pissed off a older generation with something they have in their car.
Honestly think about your dad or grandad, 9 out of 10 times they would look at your car and rather have it look a lil bit more original.
In CONTEXT, the OP asked what we thought. Opinions were given. They were on both sides of the fence and God bless America we can do that all day long, voice our opinions.

Now, this is PRO-TOURING.com / G-MACHINES.com, not HAPPYHUGEDONKSTERWHEELS.com, so the number of opinions you get, from all demographic areas, will be heavily weighted against the 19/20 combo on a 2nd gen F body.

71CamaroSS
04-27-2009, 02:06 PM
There is not a donk on the street with wheels that small. Donks are 24" and 26" on a box caprice or something similar and usually have a lift kit. Those wheels look great. As someone from that generation.....I love it! I feel like the 18, 20 setup has too much rake and the 19 really balances the car better. There's no wrong way to customize your car.....just someone else's. We must realize there is a generation gap between the old skool rodder and todays younger enthusiast. I know many 60+ collectors that swear "stock" is the only rim to roll on. "Different strokes for differnt folks." I have learned to just appreciate all the differnt styles. What size did the year one bandit have......18's?

1nkred1ble
04-27-2009, 02:20 PM
In CONTEXT, the OP asked what we thought. Opinions were given. They were on both sides of the fence and God bless America we can do that all day long, voice our opinions.

Now, this is PRO-TOURING.com / G-MACHINES.com, not HAPPYHUGEDONKSTERWHEELS.com, so the number of opinions you get, from all demographic areas, will be heavily weighted against the 19/20 combo on a 2nd gen F body.

69 i loveeee your car, i think its perfect, then again somebody older then you are might say something about your wheel choice right???

all I'm saying is that im a chevy guy I dont even like T/A's, I'm not a fan at all especially of the 2nd and 3rd gens, but i am open mindend i happened to like this car alot, IMO those wheels made the car.

thanks 71camaro, thats the exact point i was trying to make.

79-TA
04-27-2009, 04:32 PM
but i am open mindend i happened to like this car alot, IMO those wheels made the car.

I can't say whether or not you're implying that those who don't like 19's are closed-minded, but I will say that considering something and coming to a negative conclusion does not make a person closed-minded. It just means they assessed something and didn't like it. Regardless of the intent of the car's owner, don't be surprised when all-show, no-go wheels don't get much love on a pro-touring site.

Drop the "what would your dad think" argument. Most of the people I've seen putting on excessively large wheels at car shows aren't exactly spring chickens.

cheapthrillz
04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
69 i loveeee your car, i think its perfect, then again somebody older then you are might say something about your wheel choice right???

all I'm saying is that im a chevy guy I dont even like T/A's, I'm not a fan at all especially of the 2nd and 3rd gens, but i am open mindend i happened to like this car alot, IMO those wheels made the car.

thanks 71camaro, thats the exact point i was trying to make.

Dude, just stop before the hole you are digging gets deeper.

Nobody is disagreeing with you, they're disagreeing with the wheels in the OP. It's not Wes's car, he was just seeing what the PT community thought.

1nkred1ble
04-27-2009, 08:25 PM
I can't say whether or not you're implying that those who don't like 19's are closed-minded, but I will say that considering something and coming to a negative conclusion does not make a person closed-minded. It just means they assessed something and didn't like it. Regardless of the intent of the car's owner, don't be surprised when all-show, no-go wheels don't get much love on a pro-touring site.

Drop the "what would your dad think" argument. Most of the people I've seen putting on excessively large wheels at car shows aren't exactly spring chickens.

"Drop the "what would your dad think" argument. Most of the people I've seen putting on excessively large wheels at car shows aren't exactly spring chickens"

my point exactly " The car shows you & I attend"
how often do you see a protouring style car at a mecum auction????
and how many of those guys that spend the big $$$ at those auctions you believe could see themselves driving a pt car? they probaly have the same exact point of view about the car you drive such as you have about that TA.

all im trying to say is that just because a guy likes bigger wheels it shouldn't automatically make it a ugly car.

1nkred1ble
04-27-2009, 08:27 PM
k
im done =0)

ProdigyCustoms
04-28-2009, 03:44 AM
I think if the spokes were more in proportion like the Forgeline TA3P it would look better.

Look at Killer customs Bandit, it is 19s fron and rear and has been a huge kit. Schwartz is using 19s on his turbo TA, and I know of at least one more badd ass late 2nd gen getting them soon

04-28-2009, 04:57 AM
i like it...

Teamwild
04-28-2009, 07:04 AM
I'm in the little big for a TA camp but those would look sweet on an Escalade. :)

BonzoHansen
04-28-2009, 07:54 AM
mannnn

We're sorry mister attitude. We will try not to answer a question again w/o running it by you first. We wouldn’t want to express an opinion that you don't agree with. :rolleyes: I find it funny that in your barely coherent rambling you mention having an open mind but then go on to deride anyone who does not agree with you.

By the way, no one said the car was ugly. Maybe work on the reading comprehension skills a bit. Ok? Thanks.

1nkred1ble
04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
We're sorry mister attitude. We will try not to answer a question again w/o running it by you first. We wouldn’t want to express an opinion that you don't agree with. :rolleyes: I find it funny that in your barely coherent rambling you mention having an open mind but then go on to deride anyone who does not agree with you.

By the way, no one said the car was ugly. Maybe work on the reading comprehension skills a bit. Ok? Thanks.

"coherent rambling you mention having an open mind but then go on to deride anyone who does not agree with you. "

Hahahhaaha LMAOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
you crack me up dude!!!!!
:machine::machine::machine::machine::machine::mach ine::machine::machine:
oooohh & i dont have a attitude, it was merely a sarcastic tone.
relax

79TA01
04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Definitely way too big for my taste. Like the others said it's not that the wheels are ugly or the car is ugly it's just that when combined they totally screw up the proportions of the entire car. And yes i'm pretty young too, only 24, and have owned 4 second Gen T/A's with my first one being the car I drove though highschool and still have today.

TonyHuntimer
04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think they look all that bad. Here's a cool Trans-Am from SEMA with 19's
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/badassspeedtechtransam-1.jpg

cheapthrillz
04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I don't think they look all that bad. Here's a cool Trans-Am from SEMA with 19's
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/badassspeedtechtransam-1.jpg

With the right tire selection, 19's can look way cool... They nailed this one. :twothumbs

68Formula
04-28-2009, 07:32 PM
With the right tire selection, 19's can look way cool... They nailed this one. :twothumbs

:barf:

cheapthrillz
04-29-2009, 06:42 AM
:barf:

Opinions are like a$$holes....

79-TA
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Opinions are like a$$holes....

This isn't 4th grade . . .

Anyway, the reason those look much better (but still a tad large IMO) is the outer black rim keeps them visually smaller as the spokes don't go out all the way to the outer edge. The tires don't look radically different.

radback
04-29-2009, 11:29 AM
As I said: everything is in the wheel design.

same car with other wheels looked better IMO:

dadto2jays
04-29-2009, 11:49 AM
The rear wheels look good and I will have to agree maybe 18's in the front would had looked more proportional but then again what do I know....:)

cheapthrillz
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
This isn't 4th grade . . .

Anyway, the reason those look much better (but still a tad large IMO) is the outer black rim keeps them visually smaller as the spokes don't go out all the way to the outer edge. The tires don't look radically different.

Obviously not.... I didn't have a computer in the 4th grade

79-TA
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Obviously not.... I didn't have a computer in the 4th grade

heh

just noting the fact that I had only heard that comeback once since 4th grade.

TonyHuntimer
04-30-2009, 08:08 AM
heh

4th or 16th grade, everyone has their own opinions. I personally like the 19's on the Speed Tech Trans-AM...but that's just my opinion. :)

cheapthrillz
04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
heh

Glad to bring back those wonderful memories.... I think if I remember correctly, I learned the F word in the 4th grade.... oh the memories! :hammer:

79PonchoUK
05-06-2009, 01:39 AM
mannnn

Im a younger guy...I think they're too big and ruin the car. You're pretty stoned on the age thing aren't you. lol

Here's a link for you... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/opinion

I'd really love a set of those in 17s or 18s though. the car just doesn't look racy with anything bigger imo....just too 'showey'.

Is showey a word? Back to dictionary.com :lol:

cityofthesouth
05-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't think anyone is having a panic attack. I just think there is a clear dividing line that a lot of guys and gals adhere to in the muscle car world. Just as someone pointed out, you won't see anything bigger than 18s in racing and in the PT genere, (if it can be called that) performance comes before looks, or form is created by function. If the car is all about looks then to me it's just a street rod/trailer queen. Big wheels are for nothing more than looks. They don't have a specific function. Plus, more money often goes into the wheels and the tires and for no good reason other than spending more money.

swtwc76
05-13-2009, 05:34 PM
My opinion is that I LOVE THIS CAR. every time I see it I take more pictures of it to add to my collection. Would I do my car like that? No. But it works on this one especially when he's cruising by at slow speeds. It sounds and looks sweet

Charley Lillard
05-13-2009, 06:48 PM
:enguard:
"Drop the "what would your dad think" argument. Most of the people I've seen putting on excessively large wheels at car shows aren't exactly spring chickens"

my point exactly " The car shows you & I attend"
how often do you see a protouring style car at a mecum auction????
and how many of those guys that spend the big $$$ at those auctions you believe could see themselves driving a pt car? they probaly have the same exact point of view about the car you drive such as you have about that TA.

all im trying to say is that just because a guy likes bigger wheels it shouldn't automatically make it a ugly car.

Hey...I go to Mecum auctions and have bought there. I also happen to like Pro-Touring cars. In fact here is my new one with you guessed it 20's and 19's....https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30270&d=1242269298

rogue
05-13-2009, 07:29 PM
:enguard:

Hey...I go to Mecum auctions and have bought there. I also happen to like Pro-Touring cars. In fact here is my new one with you guessed it 20's and 19's....https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30270&d=1242269298

aaaaaaaaand

/end thread

redfire69
05-14-2009, 02:19 AM
So this is off topic, but I was wondering if your new car has spacers to run those vette rims? Looks great BTW!

Charley Lillard
05-14-2009, 05:08 AM
no spacers...but you just aren't going to bolt them on a stock Camaro.

ed1le
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
It is a sexxy wheel, I would do 19's in back and 18's front:)

+1 The 20's are just too big.

redfire69
05-14-2009, 12:27 PM
no spacers...but you just aren't going to bolt them on a stock Camaro.

Yeah... I figured as much... Looks great though. I was just thinking about what it would take to run these rims the other day when I saw cheap repros from Ecklers...

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=54161&dept_id=1419#

10Seconds
05-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Ok, can someone confirm this or not, but those look like 88-98 Chevy Truck headlights that they used on that TA, is that right?

An interesting choice, if thats what it was.

formula
05-17-2009, 08:51 PM
Ok, can someone confirm this or not, but those look like 88-98 Chevy Truck headlights that they used on that TA, is that right?

An interesting choice, if thats what it was.

I wish...as far as I know, they're 1-offs. At least, I can't get them to sell me a set.

10Seconds
05-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I wish...as far as I know, they're 1-offs. At least, I can't get them to sell me a set.

There is no way they custom made those, that's why they won't sell you them, they don't want you to see where they are from.

My money is on the truck lights. Looks like an aftermarket version though with the different facets on the reflector part.

acohoon
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
I remember reading somewhere that yearone is using the chevy truck lights on their bandits.

O'Neall
05-21-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes, the are Chevy truck headlights. Not a big secret as they stated it matter-of-factly in Hot Rod Mag in the very first article published about the BRE T/As a couple years ago.

formula
05-22-2009, 12:24 PM
son of a......i feel hosed! Well, thank you guys for setting me straight.

Wonder how hard it would be to fab up a housing for a set meself? :idea:

WS6
05-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I think the low slung look of the 2nd gens causes the wheels to look so much larger than JackAss's rims. A first gen is taller and boxier. Or it could just be the rim design. All I know is the 19s and 20s on Charley's car look good but the ones on the bandit car don't look good to me. I'll say a general rule is that I don't like 20s but I want to see the rims on the car before I say no way

81TurboTA
07-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Tryin to get some ideas for my t/a... anyone else have more pics? It's hard to find these without stock wheels.

vintageracer
07-22-2009, 04:04 PM
Yo Bro! In 2 words, TOO BIG.

Dante
07-22-2009, 04:25 PM
wow that thing is clean..