PDA

View Full Version : cant get rid of 2000 grt scratches

LowBuckX
04-25-2009, 10:49 PM
I used some 2000 grt and wet sanded a few spots on my hood that needed attention I used lots of water and soap mix.
Ive tryed Perfect-it II with wool pad, foam and by hand and there are still minor scratches/haze so I got Meguires Diamond cut compound used wool pad , foam and by hand and still not gone 100%
I only have a drill motor to spin the woolpad and foam but the motor has 3000 rpm max( no load ) so Im good there I think and I also have an electric 6 inch random orbital (DA.ish) Buffer/ polisher that Ive tryed with wool andfoam and terry cloth applicators and still not good....... Im stumped Help a brotha out...

youthpastor
04-26-2009, 07:18 AM
my car is cut with a wool pad at 1000 rpm's max- I'm sure everybody does it different but this works for me- nice and slow- take your time and DON"T crank it up to 3k rpm's - good luck- Chris

Rhino
04-26-2009, 08:45 AM
You could always run out and grab a cheap buffer. I picked up an adjustable speed buffer for $30 and change at Harbor Freight. I expected it to last about one car, so far it's done 7 :)
Over all it's a little noisier than I like, but for the price, you can't beat it.

justasquid
04-26-2009, 09:49 AM
ya, definately dont crank it to 3000 rpms. I believe my polisher has 3 settings, 1200 1500 and 2000. I polish on 1200.

did you use anything after the diamond cut? you will probably need to run a finer polish over that as the diamond cut will cut the paint smooth and remove scratches, but the car will need like a microfine polish afterwards to get rid of the haze left behind by the diamond cut.

LowBuckX
04-26-2009, 02:22 PM
I used meguires swirl remover

jilge71
04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
what kind of paint is on it and how old is it?

68fusion
04-26-2009, 05:06 PM
if it has some age it's probably hard as a rock... so any sanding has to be clean, no grit in water or cloth to wipe after sanding. I know it sounds stupid but the least amount of trash, especially if your doing it outside, will ruin your buff job. If the area is somewhat large I dont think the drill setup will work, but if small should be ok. It may take several passes to remove all scatches, try spot sanding afterwards ...not trying to buff out what should be resanded...

LowBuckX
04-26-2009, 11:34 PM
base clear ppg Is the best answer I can give for type of paint. Its only 4 months old I cant get the painter to fix anything because Im fairly certain he is a blind Half retarded backwoods product of inbreeding.... The blind part Im 100% sure about.

Grit from water is a good possability Ive not sanded anything else will just try and work it with compound and borrow a proper buffer.

Macadoo355
04-27-2009, 08:54 AM
You can get 3000 grit on a DA paper. You have to have a finish DA with the sponge pad. Also it sounds crazy, but at work when we have to cut and buff a real high quality car, we use poland spring water out of the 5 gal jugs. Put a tap in it on a ladder and it will work pretty good. No grit, no scratches, no problems :) good luck.

GM Muscle
05-12-2009, 11:21 AM
i like to just use running water when i wet sand. if you get a small peice of trash under your 2000 grit you suddenly have 600 grit! haha.. i would just keep trying or find and expirenced person that i see whats going on first hand to help guide you.

lvrpool32
05-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Mind sound like a silly question, are you sure the scratches are in the clear and not in the basecoat? if the painter is you described, he may have basecoated over some rough sanding and cleared, so all your sanding/polishing wont get them out.

Nick