PDA

View Full Version : triangulated four link

gr-nova
03-16-2005, 06:38 PM
First a little background. A 65 nova with a ladder bar and a centerlink with coilovers. I purchased a trainglulated 4 link my problem is this, the dana 60 rearend that I just had rebuilt last summer. Is there any kind of differential cradle that I can mount the top 2 angle bars to since I dont think I can weld to the cast pig? Hope this is not to confusing.

Travis B
03-16-2005, 07:21 PM
I have seen a couple different ways to do what you are talking about! One is to take some 2X4 tubing and cut it fit nice a tight over the top of the center section it will probably require 3 peices to get up and over, then you can weld the ends to the tubes of the axle and as long as it fits very tight over the housing you will have no problems! I have also seen this done with round tubing but it must be heavily gusetted.

Triangulating from the the side of the center section should work also you wouldn't have to go from the top of the center section????

ryans67deuce
03-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Check out Howard's Chevy II here:

http://www.lateral-g.net/tanner/Nova%20wheels1%20copy.jpg

He's doing the tri-4. I know its a 9" rear, but you should be able to get some ideas....

Ryan

gr-nova
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Travis thanks for the suggestions. Is this a cradle that goes all around the axle tube ,and how do you weld it to the top? May be I can bolt it to the center section from the rear diff bolts. I don't know back to the drawing board. Oh yeah and a new rear is out of the equation.

Marcus SC&C
03-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Another thought is weld brackets to the axle tubes,right up against the pig. This moves them down a few inches which will give you a more desirable roll center height. It gives you more mount to trunk floor clearance and you can weld the frame side mounts right to the rails rather than welding them to a crossmember (although adding a crossmember is still not a bad idea). Marcus SC&C

Travis B
03-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Travis thanks for the suggestions. Is this a cradle that goes all around the axle tube ,and how do you weld it to the top? May be I can bolt it to the center section from the rear diff bolts. I don't know back to the drawing board. Oh yeah and a new rear is out of the equation.

Yes you can tie it to the bolts on the diff cover but i would not rely on that completely! I would definently weld your brace(mounting structure) to the axle tubes! Pm me and I wll send you some pics of one that I did similar to this!

Poopy
03-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Check out Pirate 4x4 (http://www.pirate4x4.com) do a search in their forums for dana 4 link or something like that, theres tons of guys running 60's with 4 links and some sort of truss over the housing.

gr-nova
03-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Thank you guys for all of the help. After further review of the frame rails I have decided to go with a four bar and track locater. My decision was made because frame rails are only 30" apart "Mini tubbed". And after the mock up of the Triangulated 3 link, I found the top bars to be only 3" away from each other. The bars would have to be around 9" long?