PDA

View Full Version : Door twist question

camaro34567
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey guys, I've got a question about aligning my 67 camaro door. I'm reworking the car and want to get the body and gaps as close as I can so it doesnt have much bondo. I just bought all new sheet metal for the front. The door edges were tweaked in a little so I used a slide hammer to get them pulled out even with the door skin. To get the door aligned at the bottom and rear of door top and bottom, I had to slot the upper hinge holes and make the hinge door slider plates slots longer. Now the door is ligned up except the upper front corner is too far out. The fender is pushed out beyond the upper mounting slots. My real question is can I somehow take some of the welds out of the door and twist it a little to make this problem go away and reweld it to lock the shape. I would imagine one would be flexible a little without all the welds. From what I can see a small twist would not be noticed. Have any of you done this.
Thanks Kevin

67speedfreak
04-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Yes you can twist the door.

When installing a new skin I always bolt on the door and check fit before welding just for this reason.

Brian

camaro34567
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Thanks Brian, I was hoping for that answer. I'm not a profesional body man but had fixed a tailgate on a 57 ranchero doing this same thing. I thought about this solution but am out of town for a couple of weeks so I cant even look at the door till I get back. I dont know why I have the problem but the car was hit from the back before and recieved 2 new quarter panels. Its also a tubbed big block car and has seen the drag strip a good bit. Something is off somewhere but I cant find it.
Thanks Kevin

tillman
04-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Kevin
I sure wish you would post some pics of the 57 ranchero you built.
Tony

camaro34567
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM
Heres the 57 Ranchero. Its got a South State Speed Shop Windsor 427.

67speedfreak
04-27-2009, 07:41 PM
heres the 57 ranchero. Its got a south state speed shop windsor 427.

sweet

camaro34567
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I finally got to work on the door. I noticed that all the welds on the right door where I'm having problems was actually brass. The door skin has been replaced before I bought the car in 79 and I never noticed it. I broke loose the doors back and bottom brass welds and was able to easily twist the door like I needed. I also identified that this was the source of all my problems on that side of the car with the front and rear gaps. It looks like the bodyman had the panel skided a little to far forward on the inner door when he installed it. This will be a pretty easy fix by just welding and grinding the gaps as needed.
Thanks again Brian for the help.
Kevin