PDA

View Full Version : compressor dryer?

jackfrost
04-20-2009, 10:49 AM
Can someone recommend a good dryer for my air compressor? I was using the DA and angle grinder a lot this weekend and started getting water spraying out the exhaust, so apparently mine isn't up to snuff (I emptied it out, just in case)

I use it for air tools and spraying paint, and manually oil my tools. thanks.

Declawed69
04-20-2009, 05:21 PM
Do you have any filters prior to your air hose? they will help remove some water.

But how are your hard lines routed?

Here is a link from Rubadub when helped me with my compressor questions. http://www.1969supersport.com/draw1.html

Mines not nearly as long(maybe 25'), I've got about a 4 foot section the T's into an up down section (maybe 6") with a ball valve at the bottom to act as a moisture trap. There's about 6 feet to the first IR filter. I find most moisture is stopped in the first moisture trap the remaining is separated out by the filter. The last two traps are always dry regardless of how much I've used the compressor.

Air dryers are $$$$($900 I think for a small one which is all you would really need), if it's too much you could go with a desiccant system, you can find them on eastwood.com. I have one but haven't used it yet as I haven't had a need for it. Refills cost $16 for a quart for the bead type, can't tell you how long it lasts though. There's also another membrane type I guess.

If you would like pictures of what I did I can get you some if my explanation sucks.

jackfrost
04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
looks like I'm looking for a filter/moisture separator. I don't have the coin to spend on a dryer.

also my current filter/regulator is right off the compressor. I will try adding some lengths of pipe between the two, like on that drawing.

Bryce
04-22-2009, 01:22 PM
there are two types of simple "dryers" to add to the outlet of your compressor.

one is a desacant that uses a moisture absorbent and can be removed and dried in the oven or sun.

the other style is just a condenser. It drops the pressure on the outlet of the compressor this drops the water out of the air and collects in the resevoir, drain regurally.

you should be able to pick up either style at under $100 at a good hardware store.