PDA

View Full Version : windows pop out

camaro427-69
04-20-2009, 06:32 AM
hi guys

at 100 mph my windows start to pop out and thereīs no way to get them back into the clips. is there anything you can do about that? itīs for my 69 camaro......

thanks,
pat

Kokamo
04-21-2009, 06:48 PM
To my knowledge, there are no clips that hold the windows in.

Are we talking about the front windshield or rear glass?

Do you have the side windows (door glass) rolled up when you are doing the 100mph runs?

camaro427-69
04-21-2009, 10:30 PM
iīm talking about the door glass. yeah they are complete rolled up and thereīs a little clip that connects the molding in the front corner (where the roof meets the pillar) and that little guy is holding my window. maybe i can get some pics but iīm restoring/painting right now.

thanks,
pat

toxicz28
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
Crack the windows open, it'll relieve the positive pressure in the car.:idea:

JEFFTATE
05-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Mine does the same thing.
You are looking for the "boomerang" shaped plastic window retainer clips that are riveted to the roof rail weatherstrip channel that runs along the top of the door window opening .
They help guide the window as you are rolling it up , and hold the front/upper corner of the window tight against the window seal that is just below the drip rail.

If you have old door regulators ( with a little play in them) you really can't roll the windows part way down and drive at any high rate of speed .
The windows will rattle and ocscilate like hell.

I don't know where to buy those clips , or if they are even made .
They are attached to the stainless roof rail weatherstrip channel.
So maybe they come with it.

BonzoHansen
05-27-2009, 07:45 AM
2nd gens used blowout clips so I guess GM had this problem too.

Check here for "'70 and Up Window Blow Out Clips". Maybe they will help, not sure.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135317

dhutton
05-27-2009, 08:57 AM
You can buy replacement blow out clips at any Camaro restoration part dealer. I got some from Firewheel Classics. Trouble is you will have to remove/replace the roof rail weatherstrip to install them.

JEFFTATE
05-27-2009, 11:52 AM
All the blow-out clips I've ever seen are not the right ones.
Every restoration company sells the flat ones toward the rear of the weatherstrip channel ( close to the quarter window ).
These blow-out clips are to keep the weatherstripping held into the weatherstrip channel.

But I have never seen the ones that are at the front top corner, that are shaped like a boomerang. They're plastic , not stainless( At the top of the A-pillar )
These clips I am referring to are at the top front of the roof rail weatherstrip channel. NOT the drip rail molding.

see this illustration from Ricks :: Rick's calls them Roof Rail Weatherstrip Channels.
http://www.rickscamaros.com/product.asp?pf%5Fid=WS%2D24&dept%5Fid=3294#

Classic Industries calls these parts the Roof Rail Weatherstrip Retainers.
http://www.classicindustries.com/controller.cfm?type=product&action=productDetail&categoryId=69&subCategoryId=561&catalogYearId=3&startRow=51&sortBy=1&sortOrder=1&resultsPerPage=10&currentPage=6&choosenAttributeIdList=&choosenAttributeValueIdList=&productId=102939&productSearchCatalogId=1

dhutton
05-27-2009, 01:54 PM
I was referring to the two flat ones, not the one in the corner. The one in the corner is part of the piece that joins the two moldings together. I've not seen that one sold separately either.

JEFFTATE
05-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I was referring to the two flat ones, not the one in the corner. The one in the corner is part of the piece that joins the two moldings together. I've not seen that one sold separately either.

The flat ones are easy to get.
Everyone calls them blow-out clips.
These are the ones that keep the weatherstrip from blowing out of the channel.

The clips I'm talking about don't hold the weatherstrip in , They hold the window glass firmly against the weatherstrip.
They're at the front upper corner of the glass.
I guess I'll have to fabricate some , or buy new weatherstrip channels....

JEFFTATE
05-12-2011, 08:25 AM
BTW , I bought some new roof rail weatherstrip channels , and the boomerang shaped piece at the front corner does not come with them.
The aftermarket items have a stainless corner piece , but it's not plastic coated like the originals ..

I wish I could figure a way to make this piece .
It helps keep the window tight , and cuts down on wind noise ..