PDA

View Full Version : need some guidance(help) on my painting

jonnyc
04-19-2009, 06:21 PM
i'm atempting my first paint job and have run into a little snag.here's what i've done so far.
i stripped the car down to bare metal,then applied 2 coats of epoxy primer.next i used a little body filler here and there,then today i applied 2 coats of featherfill.i can still see the areas where the filler was applied after i sprayed on the featherfill.
question is,if i used a 2k high build would that end up hiding the filler,or will it go away when i spray on the sealer,or is there another way to hide the filler before i spray the base coat?

thanks for the help.

jilge71
04-19-2009, 06:29 PM
have you sanded it yet? sometimes you can still see the worked area but i wouldnt worry about it. if it was your first time you might not have put enough on but its okay. sand it down and put 3-4 coats of a good primer down over it and then you wont have to seal it unless you want to...i always seal everything that has been repaired or a complete just to make sure it is all uniform

jonnyc
04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
have you sanded it yet? sometimes you can still see the worked area but i wouldnt worry about it. if it was your first time you might not have put enough on but its okay. sand it down and put 3-4 coats of a good primer down over it and then you wont have to seal it unless you want to...i always seal everything that has been repaired or a complete just to make sure it is all uniform

i figure i will need to block sand what i have now,then spray a couple more coats,block that,and then probably do a couple more coats,then wet sand that for sealer and color.

JRouche
04-19-2009, 07:41 PM
i'm atempting my first paint job and have run into a little snag.here's what i've done so far.
i stripped the car down to bare metal,then applied 2 coats of epoxy primer.next i used a little body filler here and there,then today i applied 2 coats of featherfill.i can still see the areas where the filler was applied after i sprayed on the featherfill.
question is,if i used a 2k high build would that end up hiding the filler,or will it go away when i spray on the sealer,or is there another way to hide the filler before i spray the base coat?

thanks for the help.

I just went down this road. I stripped the car down to metal. Two coats of epoxy. Some filler work. Two coats of 2k high build primer. I blocked the whole car down. And I used guide coat on the whole car. It looked good. Shot three coats of epoxy (black, the HB was beige) and NOW I can see where I have some issues. Low spots, not seriously low, but edges of the filler. I didnt see the edges till I put on the black. I will go back over it and flow the lines. Just not as good as I thought it was during the MAJOR blocking. Im a lil put back with what I thought was a good job.JR

Pics

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/strippeddrivers-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/highbuilddrivers-1.jpg

guide coat
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/dryguidecoatdrivers-1.jpg

Some major block sanding, light pressure, good blocks and sharp paper
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/blocksanding-1.jpg

Final epoxy primer coat
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/01/epoxydriversfront2-1.jpg

jilge71
04-19-2009, 09:10 PM
johnny are you seeing bleed through or actual edges? i think your on the right path. polyester sprays funny so its hard to judge how much you have on the car but a block and some 150-180 will tell you right away if its not enough.then if its not just sand it down and spray 3-4 medium coats again. your going to block sand most of it off then a couple of good coats of eurethane primer, sand and paint. you dont have to seal depending on your paint brand but i do just incase you miss any imperfections it will cover your rear

jilge71
04-19-2009, 09:14 PM
jrouche did you use zchrome? i used it a couple of times but its harded than a rock...i use slick sand by evercoat now and love it...and about $70. it sands powdery like a primer will but still has alot of build to it

jonnyc
04-19-2009, 09:39 PM
johnny are you seeing bleed through or actual edges? i think your on the right path. polyester sprays funny so its hard to judge how much you have on the car but a block and some 150-180 will tell you right away if its not enough.then if its not just sand it down and spray 3-4 medium coats again. your going to block sand most of it off then a couple of good coats of eurethane primer, sand and paint. you dont have to seal depending on your paint brand but i do just incase you miss any imperfections it will cover your rear

actually i used evercoat featherfill for my high build.it looks like it went on pretty heavy but i won't know until tomorrow when i block it.
it has a darker look to it where the filler is.you can't see or feel the edges it's just darker.
i was thinking about picking up either some slicksand or go to a 2k high build for the rest of the blocking.

jonnyc
04-21-2009, 07:33 PM
after blocking the feartherfill,i switched over to slicksand.put 2 more coats on and now i have no signs of the filler showing through.
i think the slicksand sprays better than the featherfill.and with the featherfill i had problems with it drying to fast and clogging up the gun after 1/2 gallon.sprayed the whole gallon of slicksand with no problems.now will see how well the s;icksand blocks out.the featherfill was also clogging the paper when i was blocking it.
by the way,a word of warning to anyone that uses these products,DO NOT GET THE HARDNER ON YOUR SKIN.when i went to open one of the packets,some of it squirted on my arm and it burnt pretty bad.now i have a little rash from it.

JRouche
04-21-2009, 10:32 PM
jrouche did you use zchrome? i used it a couple of times but its harded than a rock...i use slick sand by evercoat now and love it...and about $70. it sands powdery like a primer will but still has alot of build to it

No.. I used a 2k urethane high build. Is Z chrome a poly? I didnt need that much build. The polys are like spray on plastic filler. They are thick and HARD. Sometimes a lil gummy. This 2k HB primer (SPI) I used sands off like drywall, dry and not gummy or too hard like a poly spray filler. BUT.. Its not meant to be a heavy spray filler either. Two totally diff products. JR

jilge71
04-22-2009, 03:40 AM
johhny i think your on the right path...you can even reduce the slick sand 10-15 % with a eurethane reducer if it too hot outside. i bet if you block it down you will be fine