PDA

View Full Version : Linkage...help, Power Booster

BADVELLE
08-23-2004, 06:08 AM
:hail:

I am looking for help on the finding the correct length of the brake push rod when switching to power brakes? I am also confused on the adjustment of the rod going from the booster to the master cylinder? This was a manual brakes car and now I am converting over and making into more of a road handler, as opposed to a cruiser!

Can anyone help me???

Later,

Craig

MrQuick
08-23-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey Craig, without knowing what you have makes it difficult to help but I'll give it a shot...
The booster to master rod. make sure your master has the right booster with it. Some booster will have a long pushrod that goes with the master with a deep push rod hole.I usually adjust the rod till I get a 1/16" air gap.You can use a set of calipers to measure this.
Now the booster to pedal rod. The booster should already have the rod attached hopefully an adjustable one.On the pedal there should be 2 sets of holes.1 is for the manual master and he other is for the power brake. If there isn't a pair of holes you'll have to get the right pedal or drill it yourself. In some instances you'll have to lengthen the rod. Go to Lowes and get a 3/8"x 4" tube nut to use as an extension,i'd recommend cutting it to your required length and tack weld it on.A couple spots will do. There was a discussion and pictures of this on the old forum. I can't find it now. :doh: maybe someone can dig up their pictures???

BADVELLE
08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Vince --- Thanks for the direction. I am working on a '55 Chev. The main issue was the booster pin. The master and booster do match up and the pedal rod is adjustable. I did know about the two locations on the pedal bracket, just have not looked at that end yet. I will check the booster pin per your recommendations. Again, thanks alot.

Later - Craig :cool: :fingersx:

MrQuick
08-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Oh Crap I thought (assumed) you where doing a Chevelle. Hummm not too sure on the Shoebox...I run MP set ups on those...I think they are pretty much straight foreward.The booster to pedal are the same because its a straight shot. Sounds cool have fun and please keep us updated. Thanks :icon996: