PDA

View Full Version : Best overall sound, 2 speakers and a sub OR 4 speakers no sub?

Mr Nick
04-18-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm working on a budget for the stereo in my Cutlass. I have a Classic Autosound USA radio, but I'm not going to rely on that for power. I'll use the preamp outputs to run a basic 4-channel amp. I will install their kick panel speakers with 6 1/2's up front.

Now my options are, do mount 6x9's on the rear package tray, or bridge the 2 rear channels on the amp and run a 10" sub in the trunk?

I generally adjust the fade in my cars to be more towards the front, I like the soundstage that creates. I use rear speakers just for fill. But I'm not sure how having only front speakers would sound.

How much bass (I know it won't pound) can I expect from just 6 1/2's up front and 6x9's in the back?

I don't really want to cut the package tray, but I like the idea of not having sub box in the trunk.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Nick

6'9"Witha69
04-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I prefer the overall sound of a balanced speaker package w/o sub versus only 2. It may thump, but that's only good for some music.

CRead01
04-18-2009, 08:30 PM
personally I prefer 2 speakers with a sub but I would cheat on that a little. I would get a set of components for the front and a single sub. while the components are typically 2 speakers for each side you will get a nice balanced sound. just dont go overboard on the sub and tune the system properly and it will sound great.

DarkoNova
04-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Done right, 2 speakers and a sub are all you need. Most people can't afford to do things that way though.

There's a build over on a BMW forum, I forget the name of the company, but some guy basically handed them the keys to his E36 M3. They custom built enclosures for the 2 speakers in the doors and the sub in the trunk. They tuned the whole system and it puts out 137 dB. The guy said when the bass hit, it felt like someone hit him in the back of his head with a baseball bat.

Granted, that's probably more than most people want, but it evidently sounds better than a "full" set of speakers.

I emailed the company doing the build asking how much it would cost to do something similar to my car and he said 10 grand is a good starting point. :eek:

Matt

Chad-1stGen
04-18-2009, 10:05 PM
Another vote for 2 speakers with a sub though best is 4 speakers with a sub!!

I currently am running 2 6x9's in the package tray with a sub and couldn't do without the sub. I have two more speakers sitting in the garage for when I get brave enough to cut the doors to install them.

Both the speakers and sub are powered by amps.

1969CamaroRS
04-19-2009, 05:04 AM
What I am planning on doing is running 5-1/4s in the kicks and 6-1/2 in the package tray using Scosche SA69 speaker adapters:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/41vmbAgOp6L_SS500_-1.jpg

And then running a shallow depth 10" sub with a 0.6cu ft box in the trunk hidden all the way back against the bottom of the package tray and rear seat / trunk divider. I doubt you will be able to see the sub unless you look down and under in the trunk.

I think the components will sound a lot better than the 6x9s. Alpine makes a nice 5 channel amp that is really small PDX-5 (a bit pricey thou) that should easily fit under a seat to drive all this:
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/h500PDX5o-1.jpeg
10-3/16 x 2-1/2 x 8-3/8

Goal was to look stock as possible with a really good sound. Don't need crazy thump thump but with a small sub should be able to tune the whole system to sound nice.

smellmygas
04-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I ran 2 nicer speakers in the package tray, 8" sub in the trunk with the amp powering the rear speakers and sub...the front speakers where already in the car and dont sound bad ran through the head unit.
sounds great for me, I dont even listen to it that much.

Z06killinSBF
04-22-2009, 05:57 AM
I just installed a speaker only system in my friend's Z3 BMW and it doesn't sound that great. I used Focal Polyglass 5-1/4" components powered by a Kicker 60w x 4 and although it is clear and loud, it just doesn't have the fullness of a sub system.

If you don't want a sub box, look into a set of free air speakers. The only thing is that the trunk has to be COMPLETELY sealed off from the interior of the car. You could get a piece of MDF as your backing board and seal off the hat rack some how. Should work fine.

Check out this convo on free air 8"s. http://contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=41027

Banger26
04-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Im running 6 1/2" speakers in the front, 6 x 9 in the rear speaker deck as well as the sub, just like they did in this picture

Mr Nick
04-23-2009, 04:05 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

Im running 6 1/2" speakers in the front, 6 x 9 in the rear speaker deck as well as the sub, just like they did in this picture

Is that a free air sub, or is there a whole box mounted to the package tray?

CRead01
04-23-2009, 04:57 AM
free air subs are "ok" but if you are looking for clear precise bass I would go with a smaller sealed enclosure.

parsonsj
04-23-2009, 05:04 AM
If you can get two speakers and a sub, you can add 2 tweeters (they are only 2.5" in diamter). Now you've got a nice system.

jp

JJSmitches
04-23-2009, 06:32 AM
If you do not have the door speakers you plan on using I would buy a set of components for the front to run with a sub.

Danny Thomas
05-02-2009, 01:00 PM
Ran a set of 6x9 on rear tray and a set of Focal 6.25 in front Marquez door panels with an 4 channel amp and it sounds awesome in my 67. 6x9 gives enough bass for my taste. Put a sub in my c6 vet and it can be overbearing. I am in the process of putting a set of kicker 6x9 on rear deck and a set of
Focal 6.25 components in a set of YearOne door panels in my 81 TA as we speak. From my pretest, seems that this will also provide enought bass for my liking... I basically listen to Country and Older rock---Eagles,Van Halen, and etc. depending on your music will also depend on the amount of bass you may want. If you are into Rap-- install a sub

1969CamaroRS
05-02-2009, 01:28 PM
You could always install the sub and turn the gain way down, easier to do that than turn up the bass without a sub and blow something.

gr868
05-03-2009, 10:08 AM
the two speakers and sub option is the best but it is important to kepp the sizes of each close for example if you do 61/2 front then it would sound best with an 8 inch sub the crossover points are important i think if you get a decent set of seperates that play down to at least 80 hz then cross your sub 80hz and below you will like it very much just be sure to have enough power!!!

Damon777
05-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Components up front and a sub. I typically run components that will play down to 50-60hz and let the sub handle anything below that. As long as there are no rattles, the sub will sound like it's up front.

Mr Nick
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the input. Here is my current plan...

I just ordered all the wiring I'll need from Crutchfield, should be here Wednesday. I'm going to wire the car while the interior is out, but due to lack of funds, I won't be installing ANY speakers or amp at the moment.

Down the road I'll get a nice set of 6.5" speakers in the Custom Autosound kick panels with a 4 channel amp. Going to borrow a friends 10" sub and box to see how that set up sounds. After that I'll decide how to finish things up.

I'm also considering components up front, and mounting the tweaters behind the HVAC vents in the dash. (my HVAC system is removed) That would be a nice sleeper audio system!

g6t6o
08-16-2009, 09:16 AM
If you can get two speakers and a sub, you can add 2 tweeters (they are only 2.5" in diamter). Now you've got a nice system.

jp

x2!

70 Chevelle
08-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Concentrate on quality vs. quantity. 1 set of 6.5 components and 1 sub installed correctly will sound killer. I'm using ID XS6.5 components and couldn't be happier. I'm in Chicago if you ever want a demo let me know. Here is a link to ID:
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geur7gS4hK6bwAiIBXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycGRtZ2h wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4MjRfNzg-/SIG=11k1v4lvk/EXP=1250532704/**http%3a//www.imagedynamicsusa.com/
If you want stealth. there are alot of options without adding too much bulk and weight as far as subs go.
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=30
Their is also a VERY interesting amp that is just about to hit production that you will want to keep an eye on vs. that alpine your looking at. Very small footprint and made by one of the most respected names in car audio. tons of power and reasonably priced. If you wait about a month I'll be able to let you demo this also
http://www.zedaudiocorp.com/Products/LEVIATHAN.htm
I can not tell you how good that amp is yet but I'm running some higher end gear now and will be able to tell you how it compares to much pricier stuff when I get it. If you have not purchased your cable yet a much better source than Crutchfield (RAPE)
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geurtOUYhKFT0B2C1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEycGRtZ2h wBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2FjMgR2dGlkA0Y4MjRfNzg-/SIG=116uffl7p/EXP=1250534094/**http%3a//darvex.com/
All of the stuff above is definitely aimed toward music quality not just making noise and rattles. Their are many alternatives the links are just examples

camaroguy
08-23-2009, 07:49 PM
I recently had a stereo installed in my 67 Camaro. I had a stereo shop install a good Sony deck with two Polk Audio 6x9's in the package tray. I can honestly say that it is unbelievable. It will rattle the fillings out of my teeth. I am no stereo guy, but I was truly impressed!

MonzaRacer
08-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Had a Kenwood head unit, 2 6x9 Optimus 4 ways with PAC caps, 2 10" Blaupunkt Pro Components subs with 6.4 coils, and a Marantz BP-750 amplifier(still ogt one sub/coil, and the very rare ,ie 1 of 1500, amp) Kicked ass and took names.