PDA

View Full Version : brake pedal stays down?

jjump59
03-15-2005, 07:49 PM
Power brakes with C5 fronts and stock drums for now (will be C5 rear next week). Got a show to do thursday and just decided i needed to get it road worthy so bled the brakes, everything went well there. During test drive noticed pedal wasn't coming back up all the way. one time the brakes still had pressure to them when i shifted into second. Just used my foot to pull up on the pedal and they released. Any suggestions on where to look for the problem?

LTorres
03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I suppose the first thing I would check would be the linkage and return springs on the pedal, be sure they are not binding or sticking or that they don't have any electrical wiring in the way. Second check out the rubber components...I would be sure there is no swelling in the master cylinder cap or square cut O-rings internal to the caliper, perhaps you have contamination issue and things are really hanging up!! Do the brakes get excessively hot during short distances? Can the car be pushed while in neutral on flat level ground? If not you might also check operation by isolating the system fromt the power booster...I have seen Booster cause brakes to Drag and/or cause the same problem your having. Hope this helps.

David Pozzi
03-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Just a thought, but there is a foam rubber pad that goes around the pushrod in the rear of the booster, if it were to rot, pieces of it could get sucked into the reaction valve and maybe keep it from sealing. That would keep the brakes on.
David

jjump59
03-17-2005, 07:46 AM
Just an update, i had the rod in the upper hole with power brakes. moved it into the correct lower hole and it works great. i think the rod was at an extreme angle and it was rubbing on the firewall causing the sticky pedal. Works great now but the rears lock up during hard braking. next week i'll get the rears done with the C5 stuff, new master, booster and prop valve. we'll see how it works then.