PDA

View Full Version : 17x8 backspacing etc.?

bnsfds
04-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I have a '78 Malibu and thinking about putting 17x8 wheels with 245/45/17 tires all the way around per Norm Peterson's recommendation. From the research I've done, it seems that you guys with this combination have a backspacing from 4.5" to 5". In order to get my new springs and shocks, I was told I should get wheels and tires before those, so therefore I'm shopping for wheels and tires now.

So you know, I'm starting from scratch, the car is completely stock right now.

Those of you with this set up, which backspacing works best? Will the stock spindles work? Any other clearance issues? Or any suggestions in general?

Thank you
Everette

Rhino
04-17-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi Everette. Can you expound on "starting from scratch"? Are you going to be using the stock axle or replacing it as well? Axle length will dictate the backspace you'll be using.
I've built a spreadsheet that can determine minimum and maximum backspacing given a few measurements, and decisions. I'd be happy to provide it to you.

On my Camaro I'm building a 12 bolt roughly 1" longer than stock, to use more readily available late model C5 wheel sets.

Where are you at in Gardner? I'm just up the road in Olathe.

oestek
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey Rhino,

Your spreadsheet sounds interesting... I'd be interested in a copy as well.

Thanks!

- Kevin

bnsfds
04-17-2009, 01:03 PM
Rhino,

That is a good question about the rearend...right now it is stock (I assume the 7.5"). I will eventually change it out for...I don't know what. I've been reading alot about the Ford 8.8" and having several Mustangs, they are a great rearend. If I can find a 10- or 12-bolt cheap enough, I may use that too. I'm leaning towards the 8.8 though. Basically, something strong enough for around 500-600HP.

I'll also send you a PM.

Everette

Rhino
04-17-2009, 02:07 PM
I will tell you that after weighing my options of the 8.8 vs the 12 bolt, there's really not much difference in pricing. Everyone kept telling me this, although I guess I didn't want to listen. I purchased one from an explorer for under $200, but after looking further into it, my total cost with wheels would have exceeded the build price of my 12.
The reason for this is that the ford 8.8 from the explorer (w 31 spline axles) is around 59" flange to flange. This is great if you're looking to use a custom wheel with low (or negative) offset, but bad if you're on a budget trying to use production wheels.
Just yesterday I found a guy in Springfield, MO that is selling 12 bolts relatively cheap ($350-$500)
Otherwise, if you are wanting to do an 8.8 still, I do know of a few here in the KC area you can pick up at a good price. I can pass along his info if you'd like. They would all have 31 spline axles, stock limited slip, and either 3.73 or 4.10 gears.

Rhino
04-17-2009, 02:08 PM
Kevin,
PM me your contact info and I'll send you the spreadsheet. (I tried uploading it, but the forum doesn't accept it as a valid file format.
I created it with Excel 2007, but may work with earlier versions. If anything doesn't work, it may be some of the highlighting of invalid calculations.
Keep in mind I built it for my personal use, and it may not be as well documented as it should be. If you have any questions, feel free to fire away.
I've added a few comments to hopefully make it a little more user friendly. I've calculated the offset of a few known cars and so far I've found it very accurate. If you find any discrepancies please let me know what they are. I'll work to correct them.

oestek
04-17-2009, 02:11 PM
Cool, I'll PM you. Thanks!