PDA

View Full Version : Shaved bumpers

rsk68
03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys
I want to shave the bolts on my bumper to make them smooth, anyone have some ideas or pictures, do you just weld up the holes and weld the braket to the back of the bumpers, I guess it could be that easy.

Thanks
RSK68
Rick Klein

68protouring454
03-15-2005, 02:26 PM
rick, yeah i would align fenders, bumper etc, tighten bumper up, remove then weld brackets to back of bumper, then you can unbolt, make patches for bolt holes then, either grind and prep for re-chrome or sandblast chrome and prime for paint, goolduck
jake

Tom Welch
03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
another option would be to fit the bumpers as suggested, then mark tbe bolt positions carefully. pull the bumper off, tape the bolts in place, place a flat washer over the threaded end and weld the washer to the bumper, then the bolt to the washer, grind the bolt heads flush with the bumper, weld in the low spots, this allows removal and repositioning of the brackets and bumper if needed.

toxicz28
03-24-2005, 06:53 PM
I read about this in a magazine a few (10) years ago, and this is how I'll be doing it when the time comes. Cut the heads off of the bumper bolts (leave the square shank). Place a washer and nut on bolt to hold position in bumper hole. Weld from outside and smooth when finished. Prep for whatever finish you are going for ie. chrome, paint, powder. A few tips; remove chrome from weld area as not to contaminate weld. Use mild steel bumper bolts, not stainless steel. You can weld stainless and mild together, but you would have to use stainless wire to do so. The holes you will be filling, are square holes, so bolt position is not an issue.

Good luck with it!