PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Toyo RA1 (or other R-compound tires)

streetk14
04-13-2009, 07:04 PM
I am in the need of a serious traction increase for the street. My 335/30/18 Pilot Sports, while a great tire, are not cutting it when it comes to acceleration below 65-70 MPH. I'm looking to get something that will handle very nicely, yet give better traction. The car is mainly a street car that I like to play around in. I plan to get another set of dedicated drag wheels/tires for the strip, so these tires will be just for the street and maybe a track day or two when the time comes. The car is not a daily driver and is not driven in the rain. I'm also not very worried about tread life.

While I'm sure a drag radial would provide the best results in a straight line, I'm worried it will hurt handling and grip in corners. The Nitto 555R and M/T drag radials come in my size, but I am unsure of going this route. If anyone has experience with these tires in an application like mine, I'd like to hear about it.

I have recently started looking into street legal competition tires that are more street-friendly. The Toyo Proxes RA1 looks very good to me. Pricing isn't bad and I'm sure the grip will be better than the Pilot Sports (both in corners and straight line). This is what I'm leaning towards. If anyone here has used these, please let me know what you thought of them. The RA1s also come in my sizes (275/35/18 & 335/30/18).

I'm open to any opinions. Thanks

slowcamaro
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
From the accounts I've read they see to be better than the tire they are being replaced by.

Might want to get them while you can though...

http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40503&highlight=r888

Vegas69
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
You have me beat at the tires by 50 hp and 25 ftlbs and I feel your pain. I have been thinking of going from my Pilot Sports to Pilot Sport Cups, but Frank said the R tires just don't perform great without some heat. Let me know what you figure out.

Neil B
04-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I ran the RA1's for years on a road race Mustang. They are great tires and wear much better than other brands. For racing, I had them shaved to 6/32's and they lasted approx. 4 race weekends. They do need heat to work though, I doubt you'd ever really have the opportunity on the street to really use a tire like that. I also recall they were a little 'greasy' when new and needed a few good, hard heat cycles to really work.

68sixspeed
04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
PS Cups are a great tire by all accounts, but very pricey and require heating like the RA1's. (expect $600ea for the rear, at least in the rears for a z06) Some of the vette guys are getting up to 12 track days on PS cups vs aroudn 6 on Hoosire R6's. For a good street tire the initial reviews on the Nitto NT05 have been very positive. (for more of a tire that doesn't need heat, longer wearing, etc.)

streetk14
04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
I kinda had a feeling about the heat issue on the street. I know you want them hot for maximum performance, but how do they grip when at normal street (or agressive street/ canyon) driving temps? I'd imagine they still stick better than a regular Pilot Sport, right?

I'm really looking for something more than a regular Max-performance summer tire can offer. I have one of the better ones on the market, but I'm sure there is something stickier. I am limited by the sizes I need, so I don't have too many choices. Pilot Sport Cups are nice tires, but don't come in my sizes. From what I understand, the RA1 and the cups are similar tires in their design/intnded use. In Europe, the Pilot Sport Cups are actually an OEM option on the new BMW M3. Mine came with PS2s (still a very nice tire).

My previous thought was a set of Nitto 555R drag radials in a 335/30/18. I'm just worried about it hurting handling or stability. I could then get a regular Nitto 555 for the front and I would have a set of matching tires.

So, here I am torn. I think I'm going to have to just try something, maybe just a set of rear tires to start. Might be worth getting a set of RA1s for the rear to see what they are about.

68sixspeed
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Does the Toyo R888 come in the right size for your car? (are you worried about wet performance?) Typically R tires are scary when cold, at least the hoosiers are.

I checked with a buddy of mine with a 565rwhp z06, he just got the nt05's and loves them, got rid of all the 3rd and 4th gear spin in his car.

streetk14
04-15-2009, 05:22 PM
Does the Toyo R888 come in the right size for your car? (are you worried about wet performance?) Typically R tires are scary when cold, at least the hoosiers are.

I checked with a buddy of mine with a 565rwhp z06, he just got the nt05's and loves them, got rid of all the 3rd and 4th gear spin in his car.

I think the R888 does come in my sizes, but I REALLY don't like how that tire looks. On paper, the RA1 and R888 look similar, although the Ra1 actually looks like a more street-friendly tread design.

I guess my Michelins are doing an ok job, I only have real traction issues in 1st and 2nd, with the occasional problem in 3rd. Usually, 3rd gear hooks up pretty solid and results in serious acceleration.

I've always been a Michelin guy since I started working on cars for a living 10 years ago. They always seem to be a very "true" tire, needing very little balance weight and driving very smooth. You pay for this in the price tag, but it is well worth it, IMO. Cheap tires are never a good idea.

Still between the Nitto 555R and the Toyo RA1