PDA

View Full Version : Rethinking engine plans

JLM
03-15-2005, 11:42 AM
This is mostly aimed toward the pontiac gurus but anybody with an opinion I would gladly hear from.

I had been planning for some time now to run a turbocharged setup on the 455 in my 69 bird. Lack of money, time restraints and the overall want to get the car out on the road is leading me to (at least for the near future) rethink my plans of going with a turbocharged engine.

I purchased this car from a farmer that fell on hard times in the springs of 1999. The engine to this date still has less than 1500 miles on it. The previous owner was in the process of turning the car into a street/strip car and spent a decent amount on the engine alone.

I don't have receipts for anything it it, but he claims it has a nodular iron crank, forged rods, and pistons, federal mogul bearings etc. The car has a set of #62's on top that I'm not sure if they have been messaged at all or not. According to the previous owner the entire valve train is rollarized. I have personally seen the comp roller rockers on the heads so I can say with 100% certainty it at the very least has roller rockers on it.

I'm not sure on cam specs, but they are quite healthy givin the lope the car has at idle at the fact that I don't make enough vaccume at speeds below 2000rpm for my power brakes to function. Currently there is an edelbrock performer RPM on top with a small 700cfm edelbrock carb. At the very least I'll be swapping that manifold to a torker II and a larger dominator series carb.

I'm not sure how much power this combo is making at all, nor would I expect anybody to really know without putting the car on the rollars. What I'd like to hear from all of you is if you would continue to put away the money for the turbo for this car, or spend the money for better suspension componants etc. and get the car on the road quicker.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
I'd personally spend the money on better suspension and brake components and get it on the road. Then continue saving for the turbo setup. Pro-Touring is about balance, what fun is a super fast car if it doesn't handle or stop well? The engine sounds pretty stout as is, so I'd think you'd appreciate better suspension and brakes over better acceleration for the time being. JMHO.

JLM
03-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I do agree with you Ralph. THe more I think about it the more I come to the realization that it would be more cost effect, and a much more rounded car if I spent the money to get the suspension where I want.

I've had this car since april of 1999 and I've driven it all of 1 time. How horrible is that?

Though I don't think it will necessarily be the case, I have a fear of my Cobra beating the snot out of the firebird. The firebird is supposed to be my "race car"

I was getting ready to purchase the turbo I had selected for the project, but I'm thinking now about the Hotchkis TVS for the car along with GW subframes and solid body mounts...and the G-Mod of course. With the right set of wheels and tires I'm hoping this setup will keep up with my Cobra on the road tracks.

OHCbird
03-15-2005, 08:39 PM
My vote is to get it on the road- you're obviously slanting that way anyway. I changed plans mid-stream, and by doing so, I self-induced a three year delay (OK- Uncle Sam kinda helped, too).

Get it running & get the chassis right.