PDA

View Full Version : Getting the wheel spacing JUST right, half a country away...

KrisHorton
08-23-2004, 01:35 AM
Getting the wheel spacing right on my custom wheels is going to be tough. Of course, I could play it safe, but I why? I would like to get the full Pro-Touring effect. I am looking to go with 255's on the front of my Chevelle. That would be on a 17" wheel. The car is lowered about 2.5-3 inches in the front, so my main concern is having the tire/wheel rubbing everytime I roll over a cigarette butt.

I know there are ways to get it measured just right and I will extensively measure if I have to, but my dilemma is that the car is not assembled right now, and what's worse is that I would like to have the wheels ready and on the car when I go to mount the body on the frame.

The plan right now is for Billet Specialties to cut the wheels once I provide the numbers, so how might I be able to provide offset/backspacing numbers without having the car handy? Are there any sure-fire combos out there on 70-72 Chevelles that I might be able to go with.

My ideal setup would be 255s on 17x8 or 10 and 305 or 315s on the rear with an 18x10 or 11. Is this possible with a 3" drop on the car?

Sorry if this post is confusing, I'm new to the whole custom wheel thing...

I appreciate any help!

Kris

dennis68
08-23-2004, 05:43 AM
Kris, my ride is dumped at least 4" all the way around. 17X11 in the rear with 6" b/s and 17X9.5 in the front with 5.5" b/s. I had to remove the front inner fenders to fit the 275/40's in the front. 315/35 are real tight in the rear with the rolled lips but they do fit. I am currently running 255/40 and 285/40. I may go back up, but these work good for now.

Answer to question is yes 305/18's on 18X10 no problem same with fronts. Run 6" or 5.5" b/s on the 10" rim will fit nice. I think 5.5" will "tuck" it in a little better.

protour_chevelle
08-25-2004, 08:04 AM
Kris,

with a 305 you may have to roll your rear fender lip for them to clear. I've seen 70-72 Chevelles that could only clear a 295 and then Chevelles that could clear 315's with the fender lip not rolled. Its all in the inconsistancy(sp?) from back when. Go over to www.chevelles.com and do a search. There you will find what backspacings work on whatever size rim. I will say I'm running a 255 on a 16in rim in the front and it fits fine. a 275 will also clear the front if back spacing is done right.

Like I said and like you stated(your car not being together) Its all in how the car was built.(Kind of hard to explain). All I can really say is from reading horor stories is that your body has to be bang on square. Same with your frame. The wheels may look nice just sitting there but when you put your friend or 2 in the back and catch a bump you dont want to be ripping a tire apart or worse a fender.

-Matt