PDA

View Full Version : A-Body Manual Steering to Power Steering question.

muthstryker
04-12-2009, 12:52 AM
The tempest has manual steering, My GTO had power steering and I have the steering box. Can I swap the 2 without any problems? Id rather have power steering for the tempest since the GTO will be getting all new stuff.

b-man
04-12-2009, 04:09 AM
The GTO and Tempest are essentially the same car.

Chassis-wise they're identical, so swap away.

Keep in mind that the manual and power boxes take different pitman arms, the manual box has a smaller diameter splined shaft where the pitman attaches.

Those steering boxes, both manual and power will swap into any '64-'72 GM A-body car and a lot of other GM cars made during that era.

muthstryker
04-12-2009, 12:28 PM
Hmm thanks, I have my complete steering setup from the GTO, Maybe I will just swap it all over.

stealth71
04-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm running a Jeep Grand Cherokee box in my Chevelle. They are quick ratio and it has worked great so far. Might be an option while you're in there.

wmhjr
04-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Or send the GTO Pwr Steering box to Chip at Power Steering Services for a quick ratio conversion and rebuild. It'll come back like new and be quick ratio. Having done this same procedure a few months back on a '66, here are some tips:

The Pontiac Center/Drag link is unique and not the same as a Chevelle. Same with the inner tie rods and idler arm. They are just a little smaller in diameter and have smaller diameter holes in them - plus the geometry of where the holes are in the center link is different. The actual center link is almost the exact same length but the geometry is different.

If you change any of that stuff take the time and get rid of the crappy sleeve type tie rod adjusters and get some solid adjusters that won't bend and flex and will allow for easier front end tuning.