PDA

View Full Version : Body Mounts

mjoc1
04-10-2009, 09:18 PM
I dont know if this is the right catagory. I need to change the body mounts on my 67 Buick GS 400 convertible.
The kit is coming in a few days I havn't crawled under the car to see where they are either.
Does anyone have a diagram to where they are?
Does anyone know a trick to replacing them, a particular order?
How do I jack up the body to change them?
I only have jackstands and two floor jacks.
PLease help me!

Thanx in advance.

Mike

mikey
04-12-2009, 07:21 PM
There will be 2 at the firewall. 2 at the core support. Usually 2 in the interior area under the rear of the front seats. 2 around the rear of the car. I mean 1 per side. There may be more or less but these are the generic locations for most cars. I would just loosen them all up starting at one end. Raise the body up enough to gain clearance to slide them out one at a time. Wedge a 2x4 or equivilent item between the frame and body for safety until you have replaced the mount. Then repeat for each one. before retightening the bolts square the body up on the frame by measuring the distance from frame to inside of rocker. I try to find a common place (side to side) at each end of the rocker. Then tighten from the rear to front. Do the front last because you can slide the core support from side to side for fine tuning of the front sheet metal last. Any more ? pm me and i'll send you my number.

b-man
04-12-2009, 07:33 PM
Here's link to a thread with a few helpful tips on how to replace your body mounts on your GM A-body car, I did one side of the car at a time (my '64 GTO): http://forums.performanceyears.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580593&highlight=body+mounts

You only need one floor jack and a long 4X4 to put under the rocker when you jack one side up a little. It doesn't take much separation of the body and frame to get the old mounts out and put the new ones in.

Putting in a new set of poly body mounts is the next job I need to do on my Tempest before the LS3 and 4L70E can be dropped in.