PDA

View Full Version : boost capabilities

zboss86
03-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Hey guys,
I'm looking to stick a stock caprice LT1 into my camaro. I'd like to make a small turbo setup for it with an intercooler. I believe these engines have 9.5:1-10:1 compression. How much boost could I get away with on pump gas.

Say I swap the pistons out and knock it down to 8.5:1-9:1 compression. How much boost could get away with with out detonation on pump gas.

Now, considering the stock internals how much boost can this engine handle without scattering.

I'm planning on running this engine until I build me a more solid based long block . Then again if I can get a reliable 400-450hp with this junk yard engine and a small turbo set up I may never change the engine out.

CamaroAJ
03-15-2005, 09:40 AM
just do a aluminum head swap and good cam, maybe a LT4 intake manifold on it. i think jeg's has the LT4 convirsion but i'm not sure what kinda horsepower it puts out.

zboss86
03-15-2005, 11:48 AM
Yeah, I've done that route before and had good numbers. I'm wanting to do a mild turbo motor. I'll put a cam in the motor to accomodate the turbo.

My main question is figuring out the limitations of the stock engine and how much boost that engine can take on pump gas.

kmracer
04-10-2005, 02:16 PM
most stock engines can take 7psi

shmoov69
04-16-2005, 06:30 AM
Depends on alot of factors. Heck, you could get 20psi if you keep it out of detonation.....or :drive2:
I would say with a normal tune and an intercooler, 12psi should be ok if you don't lug it around on cheap gas. 450hp should be no problem with a couple smaller JY turbos or one bigger JY turbo. My first turbo engine lasted 17,000mi and LOTS of beating on it before it broke the skirts off the cheap pistons (whoknows when) and finally split a cyl wall. It had a LOOSE (honed only) bore, stock cast crank, stock rods, AND BOLTS!, 2 bolt main and JY turbos. It was the best no money spent that I ever spent!! :icon996:

Matt
04-22-2005, 09:11 PM
LT1's like boost... a lot.

Boost is kinda secondary to power, and turbo size. So think about goals first. Dropping the compression will allow you to get more power safely out of the motor, and lt1 stuff isn't too pricey. Do you want single or twin turbos? What are your goals?

You can get 500-600hp sae out of a 70mm, which teamed with dropped compression, cometic gaskets, and ARP's should do you well pretty reliably. Intercoolers are entirely necessary over 8psi on a pump gas car.