PDA

View Full Version : Child Seat Question

paulk68
04-08-2009, 03:51 AM
Alright guys i am going to be a first time dad in June and i have a question. Can you put a child seat in a regular cab chevy pickup truck? all the info i can find say never put a rear facing seat in the front but i do not have an option should i sart looking for another vehicle? can you put one in an extended cab with jumper seats? probably not but i have no idea. thanks for the help

paulk68
04-08-2009, 03:55 AM
oh yeah i can not manually turn off the front air bag it goes by weight. it is an 08 silverado. thank again

Samckitt
04-08-2009, 05:14 AM
I would bet once you cinch down the car seat it will put enough pressure on the sensor to think someone big enough is setting there to set off the airbag.

When my first child was born I had a 97 Silverado extended cab & we put her in the back seat in the middle.

paulk68
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
I would bet once you cinch down the car seat it will put enough pressure on the sensor to think someone big enough is setting there to set off the airbag.

When my first child was born I had a 97 Silverado extended cab & we put her in the back seat in the middle.

Yeah that is what i am really affraid of. might be a good excuse to trade it in for a new camaro :idea: any one else have any thoughts?

jy211
04-08-2009, 05:20 AM
go to your local fire department. They can tell you correct info.

Derek69SS
04-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Negative on the sideways jump-seats in the smaller extended cabs (S10 and Ranger). My son's car seat does fit well in the back of my '00 ext. cab silverado.

Gearhead Dude
04-08-2009, 06:44 AM
These two links should have the info you need:
1.) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
http://www.nhtsa.gov/ Click on Child Safety Seats on the left.

2.) The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website: http://www.iihs.org/laws/ChildRestraint.aspx

You can see the laws by state.

silver69camaro
04-08-2009, 07:01 AM
If it has a weight-sensing switch, they typically turn the airbag off if the weight is less than 30lbs (a light will notify you when it switches off).

6'9"Witha69
04-08-2009, 07:08 AM
If it has a weight-sensing switch, they typically turn the airbag off if the weight is less than 30lbs (a light will notify you when it switches off).
80 lbs in Chevy Vehicles. My siverado and my SS SS are the same.

It should be fine, but as some have stated see what the NTSB and IIHS say about it.

FWIW I had my '03 Siverado extended cab when my second was born and middle of the back seat worked fine. A little tight as my wife and I are taller, shorter people could get away with the sides if necessary, but most recommend always placing infant/toddler seats towards tthe middle of the vehicle.

claytonisbob
04-08-2009, 10:54 AM
I think when I went through my owners manual it mentioned how the seat sensor was specifically set up so it didn't deploy when a car seat or small child is in the front.

Brandon Miller
04-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Main reason I bought a crew cab F150 was for my son after he was born.

shmoov69
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Good try, but you think an extended cab "back seat" is small!?!?!? Try a Camaro! LOL!

Yeah that is what i am really affraid of. might be a good excuse to trade it in for a new camaro :idea: any one else have any thoughts?

caper150
04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
When we had our first(16yrs ago) I had a reg cab truck, this was before air bags and anything other than a reg cab was rare, she sat rear facing next to me in the middle.That got old after she was turned around cause she always kicked the shifter out of gear (it was a stick)

DEIGuy38
04-09-2009, 10:45 AM
IMO the best thing would be talk to a dealer and see if they can turn off the air bag and go to a fire station to show you how the seat should be installed. Before I left the hospital they checked the car seat and installation in the car. They wouldn't let you leave if it wasn't safe for the child.