PDA

View Full Version : favorite sheet metal cutting tool...

cornerblade
04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Hey, I have been doing some patch panel work on my nova and been having some thought on buying a few new tools. When I am cutting the old rotten pieces out the cutoff wheel has been fine. But when it comes time to make a patch piece I have been stuck with snips. I hate snips, I wish I could afford a plasma but that isnt going to happen anytime soon. So who on here has air powered shears?? Do the work ok, or do you hate them. How about a nibbler? Anyways just looking for advice here guys.
Thanks

asifnyc
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
I use a Clarke electric shear. cuts 16 gauge steel no problem.

Throttle
04-05-2009, 10:11 PM
I also have electric shears..

cornerblade
04-06-2009, 07:32 AM
you like them? Well I will have to pick some up because me + tin snips= no fun...

Gearhead Dude
04-06-2009, 08:12 AM
I purchased air shears years ago but never had much luck with them for some reason: may have been too low of an air pressure. When I needed a shear after a recent move (no compressed air available) , I went down to Harbor Freight and picked up an electric unit for $25. Now this was my first electric power tool from HF, but I figured $35 wasn't much of a risk. I don't use it every day, but when I need it, it's always there!

oestek
04-06-2009, 09:38 AM
We use an HTP nibbler often, it works quickly and can make tight curves easily. Otherwise, just use the cutoff wheel for your patches!

justasquid
04-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Im in the same siutation and will be looking into the electric shears. I had no idea that actaully worked.

But just a thought. You mentioned a cut off wheel. If you are only using cut off wheel for your air powered cutoff tool, your missing a great tool. Taking an electric grinder and putting on a 4 inch cut off wheel onto that is an incredible cut off tool. You can make really straight cuts due to the larger diameter wheel, and with added power, you can cut through steel very fast. Plus the wheels last a bit longer.

cornerblade
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
yeah i considered doing that as well with the grinder. But I can fit my cut off tool into tighter spaces.
And I dont like using the wheel to make patches because it always messes up the edge and leaves it thinner.