PDA

View Full Version : New Member Exordium

Knoxferatu
04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Greetings, all. I'm a newly registered member here, though I've been lurking about for a few weeks. I've recently been bitten by an old bug which hasn't bothered me in at least 10 years - I mean the 1st Generation Camaro bug...

My last car was a '68 Sport Coupe. I started with a lowly 327ci 3-speed car, because it had good floor/trunk pans and rear quarters, and all the glass was in good shape. I named it Cherry Valance, after the sexy redhead from The Outsiders, but I actually came up with the name when I pointed out to my buddy that the only panel in the front clip I wouldn't need to replace would be the valance, which was cherry. I made that car over in the resto-mod/street machine image, which ended up looking like a time-capsule-fresh SCCA Trans-Am racer with full interior, but with a very healthy 406 under the hood. It handled well, for a car riding on 15" Torq Thurst II's, with 60 series meats, but, right about the time I finished it, I saw Mark Stielow's Thrasher Camaro, and that just blew my mind. I ended up selling that car, to pay off my then-fiancee's credit cards. I know, I know... but that girl meant the world to me at the time. Anyway, I miss the car.

I'm here because I want to do it again, but better. This time, I will go for more of the Pro-Touring ethic, rather than the Street Machine ethic. I haven't found the base car, yet, but I'm pretty set on another '68 Camaro (though a '71 RS would be pretty sweet, too). I'm very pleased to see how the Pro-Touring thing has really taken off, spawing an impressive aftermarket industry. I'm flat amazed to discover that GM's LS series engines have become, not only the most popular, but possibly the most economically practical engine platform, for this type of car. I'm overjoyed to see that there are online forums like this one, populated with a lot of experienced and knowledgeable enthusiasts and professionals.

All in all, I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle, awakening to a strange new world. I have many, many questions already, but I think I will refrain, until I've done a lot more lurking, reading, and learning. I'd like to give thanks, in advance, to the knowledgeable members who post their experiences here, and to the administrators, for their hospitality in hosting such a wonderful resource as this forum.

1971CHEVELLE
04-05-2009, 12:43 AM
welcome to the site

Ralph LoGrasso
04-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Welcome to the site, Seraph. Glad to have you on board. Best of luck in the search for your next project.

Twentyover
04-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Welcome, and what does exordium mean? I have trouble with word having more than two syllables

Knoxferatu
04-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, again, to all, for the hospitality.

Twentyover, I think you're pulling my leg, but, in any case, exordium is the introductory portion of a formal discussion. My use of the term here is meant as slightly tongue-in-cheek.:geek:

Twentyover
04-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Well, OK, I welcome you and all your six wings :)

Knoxferatu
04-06-2009, 04:32 AM
Well, OK, I welcome you and all your six wings :)

I knew you were pulling my leg.

6'9"Witha69
04-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Welcome Aboard Seraph!