PDA

View Full Version : Control arm bolts

mjoc1
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
I took apart the front end on my 67 Buick /GS400. I screwed up because I didn't move my work truck out of the driveway first. So it is apart in front of my truck in my one car wide driveway. NOW the Problem. When I took the frontend apart to replace the control arms with global west units. One of the bolts that goes through the a arm shaft to the frame where the alignment shims goes broke. Where can i get a replacement. I need to get this fixed so I can get my work truck out of the driveway by Monday. God I am a dumb A@*.

Mike

class67
04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Are there any wrecking yards around? A grade 8 bolt will work as well to at least move the car out of the way.

GetMore
04-03-2009, 05:56 PM
That may be difficult to find, as they are kind of special. (Splined where the bolt goes through the frame.)
However, you can pop that bolt out of the frame and install a normal bolt in its place. If you've got access to a welder you can just tack the head in place, so it won't spin and you'll be okay.
If you don't have a welder you can just use another wrench to hold that bolt while you install the nut holding the arms in place.
The reason they used the splined bolt is to make it easier to do the alignment. Without the bolt being secured you've got to try to hold the shims in place while holding a wrench on the bolt and another on the nut. It only takes three hands, so it's not impossible. :rolleyes:

andrewb70
04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
The dealer still has them.

Andrew

GetMore
04-04-2009, 04:05 PM
One of my local dealers didn't have them. Well, at least according to the parts guy I asked.
Of course, I didn't have a part number either. I just told him it was from a '78 Camaro. Too old for them to look up.

MrQuick
04-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Im with Jason,
Just go get a temporary replacement from Home depot.

I believe any A body bolt will work.

eville
04-04-2009, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't buy bolts from Home Depot. They would be chinese made crap.

Go to a good hardware store, you're in CA, so OSH will work.
5960 Sepulveda Boulevard
Van Nuys, CA 91411

Get a grade 8 bolt and matching nut. They also will sell grade 8 washer if you need them.

mjoc1
04-05-2009, 08:32 PM
I actually went to OSH I live less then a block from that store. I want to thankyou all for your help.

Now where can i get the bolt Rydell chevrolet around the corner does have them and doesn't know how to look them up either.

Mike

andrewb70
04-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I actually went to OSH I live less then a block from that store. I want to thankyou all for your help.

Now where can i get the bolt Rydell chevrolet around the corner does have them and doesn't know how to look them up either.

Mike

Find a dealer that has a clue.

Andrew

JEFFTATE
04-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I don't have an old Buick catalog to look these up in , but the GM part number for a '67 Chevelle bolt is pn# 381909.($ 2.91 each.) It should be the same. ( 7/16" x 14 x 2 1/4" )
GM has discontinued those bolts .
I do not have any of them , BUT , Modern Chevrolet in Winson -Salem , NC. still shows them on the locator.
Their # is 1-800-334-0165.
I can order them and then resell them to you , but it would be easier and cheaper for you to get them directly from Modern.

andrewb70
04-06-2009, 10:50 AM
I don't have an old Buick catalog to look these up in , but the GM part number for a '67 Chevelle bolt is pn# 381909. It should be the same. ( 7/16" x 14 x 2 1/4" )
I do not have any of them , BUT , Modern Chevrolet in Winson -Salem , NC. still shows them on the locator.
I can order them and then resell them to you , but it would be easier and cheaper for you to get them directly from Modern.

Nice!!! A parts man that has a clue!!!

Andrew

JEFFTATE
04-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Nice!!! A parts man that has a clue!!!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew !
I try !
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

BTW , Year One still sells them in a 4-piece set for $12.95 ( pn-9217NR )
( Same pn for the Chevelle and Buick GS )

LowBuckX
04-07-2009, 12:30 AM
In my neck of the woods trucks have no problem traversing grass and dirt.... LOL sorry Im no help... I got my grade 8 bolts and correct locking nuts at Fastenal... They are everywhere up here.

406 Q-ship
04-07-2009, 09:41 PM
One of my local dealers didn't have them. Well, at least according to the parts guy I asked.
Of course, I didn't have a part number either. I just told him it was from a '78 Camaro. Too old for them to look up.

Not to old to look up, they were to lazy too look it up. Some of the dealers can't look up older cars on the computer and have to do the real parts books, that requires brains and the ability to read. I used to work at a dealer that the :machine: parts manager would have the counter guys give that response till I started working there. After a few times at the counter picking up pieces for cars in my stall and hearing that when I knew damn well GM still carried the parts, I went behind the counter grabbed the books look up the part for the customer and got the dealership a sale, along with a loyal customer. Lazy is the enemy of business and customer relations.

406 Q-ship
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I don't have an old Buick catalog to look these up in , but the GM part number for a '67 Chevelle bolt is pn# 381909.($ 2.91 each.) It should be the same. ( 7/16" x 14 x 2 1/4" )

You sir are a true parts counter person, one of a dieing breed. I tip my hat to you :1st:

JEFFTATE
04-08-2009, 04:23 AM
You sir are a true parts counter person, one of a dieing breed. I tip my hat to you :1st:

Thanks !

Chevy
04-09-2009, 07:27 AM
FWIW i recently broke one myself...when i called Detroit Speed to find out if i needed the splined bolt they said it was entirely not required and that in fact when they build cars they replace the splined jobs with a nice new grade 8 bolt and nut without spline.

Glad to hear you have it sorted out.

Paul