PDA

View Full Version : 2nd gen control arms

ls173camaro
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Does anyone know the differance between 73 camaro control arms and 81 camaro. I did a complete rebuild on my 73 and would like to put it on my 81 so i can upgrade the 73 to dse control arms. I dont see why they wont cause the aftermarket are always fit 70-81. Dont know if it matters but im swapping the baer brakes i have from the 73 to the 81. All I have to do is swap the outer tie rods and the should work. Which is fine cause i want to run ats spindles on the 73 and you need to run different tie rods from what i have read. Still need to check with tyler. Thanks.

zbugger
03-31-2009, 11:12 PM
I think they're the same. At least they should be. You really shouldn't have an issue swapping them over.

SHANE 73Z
04-01-2009, 03:27 AM
As long as you swap the uppers with the cross shaft, there shouldnt be an issue. I do believe there were some differences in the bushing sizes from the early to late uppers.

As for the lowers you may have to make some small spacers for the frame holes as the lower control arms on the later cars used a larger LCA bolt (1/2" vs 9/16"). To add to the confusion there was a midyear 1973 control arm change that means your are just gonna have to try it and see what kind of issues you run into and deal with them.

Shane

PARKERRS
04-01-2009, 09:12 AM
The mid 73 change was in the bushing size o.d. later 73's had a larger bushing in the front leg of the LCA. I found out the hard way, PST sent me a kit and the two bushings were too small and that's when I found out, they replaced them with the later design no charge.