PDA

View Full Version : Would this watts link work?

TLWiltman
03-29-2009, 08:06 PM
I just need to know if any one of the available watts links (the bellcrank part) would work on a Lateral Dynamics x-member. Been waiting, getting angry and NEED PARTS!

SS1156
03-29-2009, 08:12 PM
What kind of rear suspension do you have?

TLWiltman
03-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Sorry about that. Someone decided right in the middle of my post to yak at me on the phone about absolutely nothing. :dunno:

I bought a Lateral Dynamics kit a while ago. I have all of the fabricated components but am lacking some other parts. Most of them can just be store-bought, no real big deal (rod ends and such). The watts bellcrank is a little scary... I don't know if it's entirely a custom component or if it's fairly similar to other watts links available on the market. If it's a custom unit, I have NO idea who'd have the ability to make me one. Hence, my question

neki67
03-30-2009, 01:06 AM
The Lateral Watts link bellcrank looks the same like the one Fays is using. I read somewhere that Jim Fays is willing to sell them seperately. Have a look at http://www.fays2.net/

TLWiltman
03-30-2009, 01:19 AM
The Lateral Watts link bellcrank looks the same like the one Fays is using. I read somewhere that Jim Fays is willing to sell them seperately. Have a look at http://www.fays2.net/

That was kinda what I was thinking when I looked at it once before (even the crossmember itself looks very similar). I'm pursuing several different angles here and that is an option I'll definitely keep in mind. Thank you.

JRouche
03-31-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, Jim sold me the center pivot, great price too. Came with the bearings, some needed spacers and instructions. Give him a call with CC in hand and it will be there in a couple of days.

Oh, one thing though. He uses all 3/4" bolts. I used 5/8x3/4 QA1 rod ends, a lil stronger than 3/4x3/4. So the outside holes on the pivot are drilled for 3/4" I made some spacers from steel to fill the gap between the 3/4" hole and 5/8" bolts I used. And after thinking about it I like it that way. Now the bolts are riding on hardened steel instead of aluminum. And it really doesn't matter, not like the aluminum is gonna elongate at all.

But I only say this so hopefully you can get the right size rod ends. And I did keep the center bolt 3/4"

All grade 9 bolts throughout. Yeah, yeah, no such thing as GR9 bolts. But there is. I had to use three different suppliers, grainger, fastenal and CAT, they all call them Gr9. They are a 180,000 psi bolt, just a lil better than off the shelf Gr8 and they are all good fasteners. And the price is good.

Why so many companies just for bolts? Well, price and grip length. Price was for some of the stuff they would only sell in package quantities, like 10 3/4" bolts, I dont need that many. More importantly, grip length. When all the bolts are in shear they should be in shear on the grip area of the bolt, not the threads. So I was shopping for grip length, not overall length.

Once I had all the bolts I had to turn some of the ends down to remove the unwanted threads. And lemme tell you, they were HARD bolts. Ive turned alot of hardened metal. And I was close to ditching the carbide for some CBN or ceramic inserts. What was cool is I could definitely see where the "softer" core was. They arent glass hard throughout.

I see some guys wanting to use AN, NAS or whatever bolts and swear by them. OK, I swore too when I called around the entire country looking for bolts. AN bolts may be fine for 1/2" and under, but try pricing some 5/8" bolts with the proper grip length. The cheapest, all around the states was $90 per bolt. Yeah right!! I needed eight 5/8" bolts.

Ok, solly, I ramble. Just love this stuff though. And yeah, Ive been on the fastener road to who knows where for a few weeks. If you want any help with anything lemme know. Glad to.. JR