PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys recommend?

f355bird
03-13-2005, 03:34 AM
Wanted to know what the 450+ horse guys were doing for cooling. At 300 horse my car wouldnt stay cool and allow me to run the A/C. Now at 350 horse the car dont even want to stay cool without A/C. It is just too hot around here to drive without A/C in a car that is black inside and out and sit in traffic for an hour plus at times. Since all i did was take the A/C belt off since the A/C clutch was bad. Im going to replace the clutch and belt and give it a fresh recharge. My car in the next two months will be in the 450 horse range plus a 150 shot of juice. What should i do about cooling what are you guys doing. There is a guy on another board selling an aftermarket aluminum griffin radiator 31X19. Would this work. Also should i look into buy and electric water pump or an aftermarket edelbrock one. Also what brand of electric fans do you recommend? My whole cooling system has less than 10,000 miles including the engine.

f355bird
03-13-2005, 05:08 AM
Also found a universal Be Cool that will fit.

69HuggrrrPT
03-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Is it heating up when not moving? If it is I would look at the 98 Lincoln Mark VIII electric fan. Moves ALOT of air. Try doing a search as alot of guys swear by it!

Dean

f355bird
03-13-2005, 08:28 AM
Yes it mainly when it is sitting in traffic. But i know that when i start adding more power to the motor its only going to get worse and worse.

gmachinz
03-13-2005, 12:31 PM
I pm'ed you. I would say you are not drawing enough airflow through your radiator for proper heat transfer-could be a wimpy radiator, slow moving water pump or a inefficient shroud. Either way, I have a solution for you. Email me and I'll offer an angle of attack. Do a search on here for Mark VIII fan installs (and check out www.rockauto.com for a 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII fan) then do a search on DC Controls and do some reading up then get back with me. If you hit this with a total systems approach, you will not have any problems, and this works for any cooling system. Check the past cooling topics on DC Controls. -Jabin

Ralph LoGrasso
03-13-2005, 12:36 PM
I'd contact Ron Davis Racing Products and see what they recommend. I'm going to be running one of their rads in my '68, and I've heard nothing but praise for their products. I'm also running dual Spal fans.

www.rondavisradiators.com

Tom Welch
03-13-2005, 07:03 PM
What size rad are you running now? It sounds as if the radiator may be too small even for the 300 horse version of your motor. A less expensive alternative to Griffin is a heavy duty Modine radiator, we just put one in a 79 Corvette, made a world of difference without too much expense.

f355bird
03-14-2005, 12:07 AM
The one in the car is a heavy duty aluminum one from trans pro.

JayBird
03-14-2005, 05:41 AM
If radiator is new and working properly when up to speed, then its either electric fan not pulling properly (I like the Spal fans) or the water pump. You would be suprised how much a difference there are in water pumps that claim to flow this or that rate. IMO Stewart water pumps make the best pumps period. I have ran them in circle track cars and street cars with no issues. There is a reason 99% of NASCAR cup and GN teams run Stewart.

Jay

f355bird
03-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I found a guy local selling a mark 8 fan what is a normal going price for it?

4MuscleMachines
03-14-2005, 09:38 PM
I had one of those cars and it heated up all the time, the header heat under the low slung hood makes it worse. The problem is the design of the front end. It depends on airflow under the car to make sure it reaches the radiator....no front grille directly in front of the rad. Specifically, the front air dam is designed to pull air under and up into the radiator. I am sure when you get on the highway, the temp drops instantly. What would I do? Make sure your air dam is secured and undamaged, change to a highflow water pump, change to a dual core alum rad, change to higher CFM electric fans (or install a smaller pusher on front side). I did that and whoala....slowly cruising at 110*ambient temp with A/C and no overheating problems!

gmachinz
03-15-2005, 05:02 AM
Normal price for that fan on Rockauto.com is about $168-shipped. At your local dealer I have seen them for $339! :drive1: If you buy it locally, make sure it is a '97 or '98 model-Both move the same amount of air. I wouldn't mount a small fan on the front of your radiator though-A pusher fan meant to cool your engine moving a different amount of air along with a puller style could give you more problems than solutions-the Mark fan will solve your cooling problems-providing you have an airflow problem and not a mechanical one-such as a worn out pump, inadequate coolant level/mixture, bad thermostat/rad. cap, or faulty gauge. -Jabin

Tom Welch
03-15-2005, 04:38 PM
How about shrouding? the low hood combined with a closed front end can restrict air flow like earlier posts have mentioned. How about hoses collapsing? Thermostat? I realize that this may sound rather basic but info is info and I hope it will lead to a solution. A more powerful fan as suggested will have to help some. How about Redline Water Wetter? Maybe burping your system will help too.

Travis B
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
Zirgo electric fans pull more than any fan on the market! Look them up on the internet! They work great :bananna2:

gmachinz
03-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I dunno-I couldn't find much on my search for Zirgo fans except a 3300 cfm puller. What cfm ratings are you referring to with Zirgo fans? I have not seen anything higher than the Mark VIII's which are ~5000 cfm @ 33 amps. Obviously a high cfm rating doesn't mean much without a nice shroud but the Mark has a really nice one incorporated in it as well. If there is a better fan than the Mark, I wanna see it!! -Jabin

69HuggrrrPT
03-16-2005, 05:08 AM
This may be an iscolated occurance. But this is why i went with the MarkVIII instead of the Zirgo
http://www.camaros.net/cgi-bin/forum/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/19/533.html?#000000

If you go with the Mark VIII @ DC controller, give Gmachinz a shout for great price @ service.

Dean

f355bird
03-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Well my car never came with a mechanical style fan and shroud. Mine has a single electric with a built in shroud around it. My whole cooling system is tip top it is just all stock stuff. The nose on the car is solid so it doesnt get much airflow. Im looking into buying the mark 8 fan from the guy locally. Also going to buy the 31X19 Aluminum Be Cool radiator. Im also looking into getting an electric water pump any suggestions on an affordable one had some guys recommend the proform. My car gets drivin about 4,000 miles a year tops so im not to worried about the life of an electric pump. This car is my toy i drive on nice and days and the weekends.

Tom Welch
03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Based on your info, I would try the mark 8 fan and a larger radiator. I cant imagine how this setup would not cool effectively in traffic.

f355bird
03-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Well i found one of the mark 8 fans locally im going try that out first and then move on from there. The fan i have right now is a cheap hayden fan. I might also try throwing some water wetter in. Im on a tight budget so i can go throwing out a lot of money.

WELTERRACER
04-19-2005, 05:32 AM
I am using a 7 blade mechanical fan... and had ordered the shround from GM.. for $100

I couldnt get a single electric fan that would keep it cool

Jim Nilsen
04-20-2005, 10:56 PM
When I was at SEMA I saw a demo of the new Stewart electric waterpump they offer and it was very impressive and for your application it is a very appealing setup. With just a few mods you would have a lot of flow at low RPM situations in traffic. If an electric pump is used you have a lot of choices these days so make sure you shop for the highest gpm you can afford and the way it is designed to work with your accessories.

Jim Nilsen