PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about my new Wilwood's

69speed
03-12-2005, 09:34 PM
I just finished installing my rear disc brakes. Everything seemed to go together fine until I installed the caliper. The outside shoe is tight against the rotor. The caliper comes with shims, but they would only make the problem worse if installed on the caliper bolts. Am I missing something?

68BNUT
03-12-2005, 09:49 PM
you may need to shim the oposite side of the bracket that bolts to the cars rearend to pull the caliper back and make sure its straight with the axle hub, when I installed 4th gen calipers and brackets they didnt exactly fit straight on a 30 something year old rear end

69speed
03-12-2005, 09:59 PM
Seems to me that if I place shims there the retainer will not have adequate tension on the bearing and it may have play. Grinding the spacers on the caliper mount sounds better to me, but this can't be right.
I'm installing a brand new moser 9" assembly. I should not have to be grinding spacers to make it work.

68BNUT
03-12-2005, 10:08 PM
The bracket that holds your calipers on also holds your wheel hubs in is that what your saying? I still have c-clips on my camaro so we may have completly different setups. I did have to put 1 washer in between the bracket on two bolts to get it to be in line with the rotor

quadfather
03-13-2005, 05:05 AM
Seems to me that if I place shims there the retainer will not have adequate tension on the bearing and it may have play. Grinding the spacers on the caliper mount sounds better to me, but this can't be right.
I'm installing a brand new moser 9" assembly. I should not have to be grinding spacers to make it work.

it sounds like you may have a problem with the axle standout . ford rears have 3 different housing ends . i assume you have the large brg. ends which use either a 2.5 standout for the late big ford ends or a 2.33.for the early big ford. the axle and brake manufacturers make there kits in both dimensions. it sounds like you have a mismatch. and no you cant shim the mount on the housing. this would allow the axles to float in and out. i hope this helps.

baz67
03-13-2005, 06:50 AM
69speed,

Lets see if I am assuming correctly on the parts you are using: 69 Camaro, big bearing Ford rearend and the Wilwood 12" four piston rear disc with the internal parking brake. Is that correct? The brakes have three aluminum spacers between the parking brake backing plate and caliper bracket arount one inch long. My set up is the same as yours except it is a 67 Camaro. I had to gind the spacers on one side some. I cannot remember how much, but .125 seems to ring a bell. I know of one other member on PT that had to do that to his set up as well. I hope this helps.

Brian

69speed
03-13-2005, 03:03 PM
That's my situation exactly! I was afraid I was doing something wrong. I expected this assembly to come from Moser ready to go, but I guess this is actually a Wilwood problem. Thanks for the input it is very reasuring to hear that I'm not the only one :)

Hacker Joe
03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
I had to mill my spacers on the caliper bracket .125. I think moser used the new style ends with the old style spacing. not a big deal to do just make sure they are the same and straight.