PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Gen Camaro Rear sway bar

MikeDVC
03-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Just acquired a stock (5/8) rear sway bar kit for my 75 Camaro. Was getting ready to install (with poly bushings), but read a few bad things about the stock rear bar set-up.

I have Hotchkis front and rear springs suspension kit, 16" wheels /tires, welded sub-frame connectors and stock front sway bar (I think 7/8) with Poly bushings. I've done a lot to lighten the front of the car, fiberglasss hood, battery in the trunk, alum. heads, pulleys, intake etc, and stipped all of the emissions stuff.

I seem to have what I guess is oversteering in hard curves, I have to work the steering wheel more then I think I should. Wondering if a rear sway bar would help or make the steering worse? I'm not road racing, just like driving it hard on the street.

zbugger
03-12-2005, 07:33 PM
That's understeer. If you have to turn out of the turn to stay in it, that's oversteer. The rear bar should help that.

MrQuick
03-12-2005, 07:34 PM
Should be fine for a 2nd gen, Its a problem on 1st gens. 2nd gens are alot more balanced than the 1st.

MikeDVC
03-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. I just found this website a few weeks ago, and man is it great!

jeffandre
03-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Mike,
I went to DVC back in the 80's, way cool. I even recall an article in Playboy that said it was one of the top 20 schools to meet girls, but then again, that was back in the 80's, no idea what it's like now...Welcome to the site!

David Pozzi
03-13-2005, 12:06 PM
I'd try it and see. You can disable the bar for back to back testing by removing one of the mount links, you don't have to remove the whole bar.
I have a list of factory part numbers and diamiters of second gen front and rear bars on my web page, it's on the second gen page.
David

MikeDVC
03-13-2005, 12:42 PM
Jeffandre,

DVC is actually a moto for a practical / speed pistol shooting orginization I belong to, it stands for speed, power and accuracy (in Greek, don't know why).

I graduated from Univ. Of Maryland, a great school here on the east coast. Also, no a bad spot to meet the ladies. It's close to Washington DC, so it gets a little wild sometimes.

zbugger
03-13-2005, 12:44 PM
I graduated from Univ. Of Maryland, also a great scholl her on the east coast.
Yup. :enguard:

MikeDVC
03-13-2005, 12:48 PM
David,

I checked out your website (2nd gen camaro page), really like the way you ran the battery cables. I have mine running along the frame underneath the car, never really liked it that way. Didn't have much luck ground in the back of the car, so I ran the ground all the way up to the motor. I have since welded in the frame connectors, maybe I'll it again. Looks like you ran the positive cable inside the car, were did you bring it out to the starter, under the heater box?

MikeDVC
03-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Man I got to learn how to use the spell check on this site!

David Pozzi
03-13-2005, 03:43 PM
I ran the cable over the inner fender, there is a depression in it near the fender to sorta guide the cable, then ran down by the Idler arm where it bolts to the frame and along the oil pan rail where the auto trans cooling lines run.

Getting around the A arm area is difficult, I wanted to miss the header area as much as possible.
I'd rather have run it over the passeger footwell and coming out along the bellhousing area to the starter but didn't have time to figure out if it would be too hot there, we don't have headers on the car yet so it's hard to tell.