PDA

View Full Version : What to do with this car??

muthstryker
03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, This friday I take delivery on a 1966 Pontiac Tempest. The guy only wanted a 1000$ for it and Im paying 950$ delivered to my door. Some body work has already been done as well as the floors replaced. My intention with this car was for parts for my GTO well after looking at the car I started to think its in good enough shape to throw a chevy 350 and a trans in it and get it running and driving for about 3k. Is this possible? The motor and trans wouldnt have to be brand new or anything special as long as it worked so the car could move under its own power.

Car is pretty much complete as far as sheet metal goes. Doesnt have motor / trans, drive shaft or an interior.

So what should I do? Put my GTO off for about 3-4 months and get this car going, Or use the parts on it for my GTO? Im torn between both ideas.

Mathius
03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
Well, This friday I take delivery on a 1966 Pontiac Tempest. The guy only wanted a 1000$ for it and Im paying 950$ delivered to my door. Some body work has already been done as well as the floors replaced. My intention with this car was for parts for my GTO well after looking at the car I started to think its in good enough shape to throw a chevy 350 and a trans in it and get it running and driving for about 3k. Is this possible? The motor and trans wouldnt have to be brand new or anything special as long as it worked so the car could move under its own power.

Car is pretty much complete as far as sheet metal goes. Doesnt have motor / trans, drive shaft or an interior.

So what should I do? Put my GTO off for about 3-4 months and get this car going, Or use the parts on it for my GTO? Im torn between both ideas.

Put one or the other on hold and finish one. While it's nice to have more than one project to work on, you're always left with the unhappy feeling of nothing cool to drive, just a bunch of "projects" that seem like they'll never get done.

And as far as using it for parts for the GTO, why take apart an almost complete car unless you're gonna have registration issues. I mean to put it harshly, you might as well send that thing to the crusher and buy used panels, because it's gonna amount to the same thing, unless someone else takes it off your hands and spends more money on body panels to fix it.

Mathius

mc84_zz4
03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Make it the 'evil twin' version of your GTO, spray bomb it flat black, get it to run, Make the GTO the one with the nice paint, now you have one for show, and one that you can get a scratch on and not care. Kind-of like the 'comfortable-jeans' theory.

T_Raven
03-23-2009, 10:00 PM
Give it to me

let's see some pics
At this point in life it's my opinion that there's no point in having a "parts car" for a 60s muscle car. Any car you can buy cheap enough isn't going to have many parts you could use. Maybe suspension parts but those are usually ok anyway, and you might as well just upgrade if they do need replaced. As for as body and interior parts they usually aren't worth using and you might as well just buy repo parts. If this tempest is in good enough shape to restore then you might as well keep it whole and just buy the parts you need for the GTO

muthstryker
03-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Put one or the other on hold and finish one. While it's nice to have more than one project to work on, you're always left with the unhappy feeling of nothing cool to drive, just a bunch of "projects" that seem like they'll never get done.

And as far as using it for parts for the GTO, why take apart an almost complete car unless you're gonna have registration issues. I mean to put it harshly, you might as well send that thing to the crusher and buy used panels, because it's gonna amount to the same thing, unless someone else takes it off your hands and spends more money on body panels to fix it.

Mathius

I hear what your saying, Thats why I put "put the GTO on hold for 3-4 months." I know what its like having 2 project cars at once that your trying to do stuff to both of them at the same time, and it sucks. Thats why I got rid of it. With This I would just take my direction towards the one car.

Make it the 'evil twin' version of your GTO, spray bomb it flat black, get it to run, Make the GTO the one with the nice paint, now you have one for show, and one that you can get a scratch on and not care. Kind-of like the 'comfortable-jeans' theory.

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. Nothing fancy, Already have a set of 19inch wheels for it just need the good ol' spray paint lol.

Give it to me

let's see some pics
At this point in life it's my opinion that there's no point in having a "parts car" for a 60s muscle car. Any car you can buy cheap enough isn't going to have many parts you could use. Maybe suspension parts but those are usually ok anyway, and you might as well just upgrade if they do need replaced. As for as body and interior parts they usually aren't worth using and you might as well just buy repo parts. If this tempest is in good enough shape to restore then you might as well keep it whole and just buy the parts you need for the GTO

I will Get some pics posted up here friday, Bought the car so cheap because the guy that sold it to me has about 14 other cars through out his barn and property, (a 70 chevelle ss sitting under garbage bags full of leafs is one of them.) He just wanted the car gone, he was trying to get 2500 for it, then it went down to 1500, then 1000.

Overall I think im going to let the car sit for awhile befor I start on anything.