PDA

View Full Version : Open track day at The Streets of Willow

Pages : [1] 2

406 Q-ship
03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
The LA Shelby Club is having an open track day at Willow Springs, it is for the Streets of Willow on May 3 and 4. I am seriously thinking about running the Chevelle there. I heard from one of the Shelby Club people they need to get more people to sign up.

http://www.lasaac.org/content/welcome-lasaacorg

or check Willow Springs website

http://www.willowspringsraceway.com/eventcalendars/2009weekendcalendar.htm

-The Stig-
03-23-2009, 12:14 PM
ooo... tempting!

Larry Callahan
03-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Hmmm... I might be ready for that?

JEFFTATE
03-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Do it Larry !

James OLC
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Hello!!!

-The Stig-
03-23-2009, 03:15 PM
*Curses at the G8 for having an automatic*

I miss heel-toe. :(

Larry Callahan
03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
That's my favorite track. I think it's because it's small and not as easy to get in trouble on. LOL!

CarlC
03-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Humm, I may need to get some new shoes for the Camaro.....

James OLC
03-25-2009, 06:28 AM
Yeah... new shoes...

I am going to say that I am 80% to be there at this point. We'll see how Del Mar goes and how things are coming together but if I can, I will be there.

It would be awesome if we could get a half dozen or so members out to this - just the exchange of information would be invaluable (not to mention the flogging)...

mpozzi
03-25-2009, 08:14 PM
Dave and I are talking about coming out and I might bring the red car. We can be pit crew for the Pro-Touring folks that run as well.

Streets of Willow is a very fun and safe track. It's not high-speed like "Big Willow" but is very technical and you have to bring your driving "A" game; I liken it to a big, fast autocross. Of all the tracks I've run (not that there's that many ...), Streets is one of the best.

Let's get some action going here and get some Pro-Touring cars out there.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steve1968LS2
03-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Hmm.. maybe I should come.. this is the track that like Buttonwillow.. right?

As in not much stuff to hit.. lol

Would be nice if I could get my oil cooling system in by then.

CarlC
03-25-2009, 09:08 PM
They are not going to run the bowl which is the most oil-challenging turn on the coarse.

Not much to hit out there. The speeds are less than Buttonwillow on most of the track but a lot of speed can be carried off the front stretch into the uphill RH sweeper.

79-TA
03-25-2009, 09:57 PM
Would my stock fox body be welcome or would it be too much slower (especially on straights) than the other cars to be practical? I've never done a trackday before, which begs the question, am I fit to go?

mpozzi
03-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Would my stock fox body be welcome or would it be too much slower (especially on straights) than the other cars to be practical? I've never done a trackday before, which begs the question, am I fit to go?

Yes, you should come if you're interested in getting your track feet wet. Streets of Willow is the best place to do this as Carl's right on about the safety and not much out there to hit other than a tumbleweed ...

This track is very technical and speed on the straights isn't the focus. It's a momentum type of track where carrying speed through the corners is key. A car set up well for handling will usually kick tail over one that goes like hell but is limited in the "stop and turn" department.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

406 Q-ship
03-26-2009, 09:32 PM
WOW this is a great response. I just posted this for a friend that would like to see the club get more to show up. Well it looks like I need a better battery retainer (they want a full over the top batt hold down) and I need to get the 12 bolt going. I just was interested in some shakedown runs for my Chevelle on the smaller Streets track for its lower speeds and wide run off area.

Damn True
03-26-2009, 09:51 PM
https://www.appliedracing.net/product_info.php?cPath=268_61&products_id=1541&osCsid=bc75e1f76aa3873a95e8a75a41b5ee55

-The Stig-
03-27-2009, 07:18 AM
If Mary goes... I goes!

Rasmussen!? Where's that blue Nova at... let's goes!

G8 to the Max!

mpozzi
03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
That's it then ... we're all goesing!!!

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Steve1968LS2
03-27-2009, 09:54 AM
I wish I was goesing already!!!

Damn True
03-27-2009, 10:24 AM
I wish I didn't have to goes so far to goes to Willow.

JEFFTATE
03-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Y'all got some cool Roadrace tracks in California.

CarlC
03-27-2009, 11:33 AM
Oops, I just goes'd myself.

Who's in? I'll have to try and plead my case to the judge (wife) since we're putting the house up for sale this week.

Chad-1stGen
03-27-2009, 11:51 AM
You moving out of the area Carl? Or you upgrading/testing the waters

James OLC
03-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Who's in? I'll have to try and plead my case to the judge (wife) since we're putting the house up for sale this week.

I'm up to 90%

xplane
03-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Sure wish my 69 Mach I would be ready, I just live 10 minutes away! I have hundreds of laps there on motorcycles and in the shifter kart. Guess I can spectate and take photo's for the Pro-Touring gang!

Mike

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=29364&d=1238186995

Steve1968LS2
03-27-2009, 12:54 PM
I'll see that 90% and raise you to 95%...

James OLC
03-27-2009, 01:13 PM
OK... I'll call your 95%.

We'll see how next weekend goes. Tires look to be an imminent concern at this point (assuming that we have the "whack whack whack whack whack" thing solved :fingersx:).

CarlC
03-27-2009, 07:14 PM
I heard about the whack-whack. Not good-good. Hopefully you get it solved and can make it.

I'll raise you all to 100% if we can can bribe David and Mary into coming along as well. I make a mean Chicago Style hot dog on my mini BBQ. I won't be able to make it Saturday until later in the day. I'll likely camp out in the back of my truck with the Pozzi's.

Chad,

We're looking at Thousand Oaks. Hopefully we can take advantage of the greater fall in TO vs. Glendale values and trade up. Daddy needs a three-car garage!

James OLC
03-28-2009, 11:24 AM
I wish I didn't have to goes so far to goes to Willow.

You wish???

I gotta goes 2000 miles.....

Nessumsar
03-28-2009, 06:27 PM
All right, I have to save $210; then I goes too!

But I will have to trailer up there, Matt you can put a U-haul hitch on the G8 right?!:idea:

CarlC
03-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Hey Mary. What are your thoughts on how the XS's would work at SOW's?

Damn True
03-29-2009, 12:29 AM
You wish???

I gotta goes 2000 miles.....

Yeah, but at the end of your trip you get to drive @ Willow. I would get to drive home.

David Pozzi
03-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Hey Mary. What are your thoughts on how the XS's would work at SOW's?

My tower ate a hard drive so I have to use this POS and very slow laptop. I'm too lazy to log Dave out and just realized I could do this in the amount of time I took to type these last two sentences ... **sigh**

I think the XS's would work great for track days.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

-The Stig-
03-29-2009, 11:02 AM
All right, I have to save $210; then I goes too!

But I will have to trailer up there, Matt you can put a U-haul hitch on the G8 right?!:idea:

See if you can't borrow your dad's Cummins for the weekend? :yum::idea:

My ol' Silverado should be able to tow the G8 right? Strugglin and cursin all the way!

CarlC
03-30-2009, 01:17 PM
I just plunked down $ for new tires (mine were very tired), and I've been cleared for that Sunday. Who's in? I don't want to go by myself.

Carl

6'9"Witha69
03-30-2009, 01:19 PM
I've requested a hall pass for the weekend. It is in the air whether I can be track ready or observer status by then.

406 Q-ship
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
OK I have my list of what I need to get done to my Chevelle......it is longer than I thought but not undoable. I have been told about a few details that need to be addressed to run at this event that are a bit different than the usual racing events. Carefully read the entry form here.

http://www.lasaac.org/~lasaac/files/u2/open_track_registration_-_May_2009.pdf

Here is are a few things that I caught and some that might be more than expected:

50% remaining brake linings
Brake fluid clean and clear
Fire Extinguisher MOUNTED TO THE CAR ON A METAL BRACKET
Battery secured (my friend says that the regular GM battery hold down isn't good enough must be strapped over the battery)
Overflow catch can (you need one to run anywhere)
Dual Throttle return springs (you do have that RIGHT?)
Helmet of SA95, SA00, or SA05 rating (no M-rated another way of saying no motorcycle helmets)
Closed toe shoes

Day of the race:
Tape the headlights (stones are hard on lights but wait to get to the track before taping, CHP frowns on taped lights)
Remove Floormats or secure them
no loose items in the trunk and interior
remove spare tire

Be careful when driving to the track if you are coming from the LA area, the CHP use the 14 hwy from Lancaster to Rosemont to train the probation CHP officers. The CHP will check to see if Willow is having an event and line up cruisers at Pearblossom Blvd to catch the cars "flying" off the hill coming down into the valley.

Here is my recommendation for Willow Springs........bring Water, sunblock, a jacket, water, sunglasses, and water. Did I mention Water? It can get very hot or cold at Willow so be prepared I have seen snow and so hot it will melt asphalt.

I miss the days I got to go to Willow with Guldstrand......it is was long days but I had an awesome time.

406 Q-ship
03-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Here is my to do for the Chevelle List:

Catch bottle (the old engine popped my last one, dam headgasket)
Power Steering is leaking again (ARRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!)
Carburations is having issues.
Check the front brake pads (I haven't check them in a awhile)
Flush and bleed the Brake system (volunteers to push a brake pedal?)
a Fire Extinguisher with a metal bracket
a nylon strap to put over the battery (this one puzzles me but OK)

Mkelcy
03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
This might be fun. I could try my blue driver '68 out there - slow speeds, just like on the Cruise the Crest?

James OLC
03-31-2009, 05:55 AM
This might be fun. I could try my blue driver '68 out there - slow speeds, just like on the Cruise the Crest?

I guess it depends on what you consider to be slow speeds... this is an open track day and I know that my intention isn't to cruise around the track.

*FYI*
The dates on the first post in this thread are wrong (if you haven't figured that out already). The correct dates are May 2nd and 3rd (Saturday and Sunday).

mpozzi
03-31-2009, 08:16 AM
Okay ... this is an official Pro-Touring announcement and you're all put on notice!!!!!

Get off your poser butts and let's come have some open track fun. I don't want to hear about all the car prep that needs to be done as you've got a month so get cracking. Get off the computer, out of that Barcalounger, put the Bud back in the 'fridge, and go out in the garage as your Chevy/Ford/Mopar (fill in the blank here) is feeling quite neglected. This is going to be a great weekend and SOW is a very "driver friendly" track. Dave and I plan to be there and as we'll be plenty bored, would love to catch rides with everyone that wants extra ballast. And if you're a Hoover-Butt, Dave's a better choice for ballast ...

We'll be there Friday mid-day and can't wait.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Damn True
03-31-2009, 09:38 AM
Dang....if this were at Thunderhill I'd be able to drive an E2 Miata (endurance classification sorta between SM and ITA) that is garaged there. But I cannot take it to another track.

mpozzi
03-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Dang....if this were at Thunderhill I'd be able to drive an E2 Miata (endurance classification sorta between SM and ITA) that is garaged there. But I cannot take it to another track.

Then rent something from Hertz and bring it down ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Damn True
03-31-2009, 10:42 AM
Hertz is out of Shelby's for that weekend from SFO. They have the ZHZ Vette...@ $621 for the weekend. YIKES

James OLC
03-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Okay ... this is an official Pro-Touring announcement and you're all put on notice!!!!!

This is going to be a great weekend and SOW is a very "driver friendly" track. Dave and I plan to be there and as we'll be plenty bored, would love to catch rides with everyone that wants extra ballast. And if you're a Hoover-Butt, Dave's a better choice for ballast ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

How do you figure that you will be "plenty bored"? I know one foriegner who is planning on keeping both of you on your toes!

Hertz is out of Shelby's for that weekend from SFO. They have the ZHZ Vette...@ $621 for the weekend. YIKES

If you wait they usually drop the price on the 'Vette to around $140 a day (IIRC) if you just walk up. There are a couple of places that have Sky's and Miata's if you look around... just trying to help you out...

406 Q-ship
03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
*FYI*
The dates on the first post in this thread are wrong (if you haven't figured that out already). The correct dates are May 2nd and 3rd (Saturday and Sunday).

All I can say is.......DOH! I don't think I'm anywhere near as dumb as I do somedays. :1st: I know what happened I was reading the calender in American and yours is one of those Canadian ones.....yea yea that what happened.

Thanks for catching that

Rocco
04-05-2009, 01:41 PM
Hey Friends, I'm very glad to see a positive response here to the May 2nd and 3rd Streets of Willow event (Open Track Weekend). I've been attending this club's track days at the "Streets" since 1992 and never seen a problem. It's safe, its as fast as you want and great way to learn about your car and improve your driving skills. I'm already signed up and hope I get to meet some of you there and see your awesome cars.

- Rocco

406 Q-ship
04-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Rocco, We are looking forward to get out and turn a tire with the LA Shelby Club. Talked to Mary and a few others out at Del Mar and sounds like there is quite a bit of excitement a brew with getting out to the Streets.

Rocco
04-05-2009, 02:09 PM
I forgot to say that it is important to sign up for the event ahead of time if you plan on attending. You'll save some money this way and allow the club to know the number of drivers and cars they should plan on including.

The application pdf file can be downloaded from their website -

http://www.lasaac.org/content/welcome-lasaacorg

- Rocco

CarlC
04-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Welcome Rocco!

Check is in the mail. I have not run with this club at SOWS but it's always great to meet new people at events like these.

It was quite the coincidence driving next to 406 Q-ship on the I-5 south on Friday. Small world!

CurtiSS 69
04-05-2009, 09:04 PM

Get off your poser butts and let's come have some open track fun. I don't want to hear about all the car prep that needs to be done as you've got a month so get cracking. Get off the computer, out of that Barcalounger, put the Bud back in the 'fridge, and go out in the garage as your Chevy/Ford/Mopar (fill in the blank here) is feeling quite neglected. This is going to be a great weekend and SOW is a very "driver friendly" track. Dave and I plan to be there and as we'll be plenty bored, would love to catch rides with everyone that wants extra ballast. And if you're a Hoover-Butt, Dave's a better choice for ballast ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

You tell them Mary!

For those that are feeling uneasy about a track they've never run before here's an instructional video I found on youTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8oD2_Dh5e4

I wish we could get something going with the PT crew in NorCal. I've given up. I'm running Laguna Seca on 14 April (NCRC) and Buttonwillow 25-26 April (NASA -13CW-), and it will be me the BMW's, Porsche's, and Honda's as usual.

Thank your lucky stars great folk's like the Pozzi's are even offering to help you at the track. Plus, $210 is a very reasonable rate for a track Weekend. I'm paying $178 for only one day at Laguna Seca with NCRC (which BTW is a great deal as well).

Don't forget it is a load of fun too!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

James OLC
04-15-2009, 08:50 AM

True - when I was at Del Mar I picked up one of the ZHZ 'Vettes out of San Diego for $58 a day - you should look into that. Nothing beats it...

And for what it's worth - my flights are booked and my entry forms are in the mail - we're heading to the Streets Of Willow! (with a new and improved OLC) :woot:

More fun announcements coming soon...

Steve1968LS2
04-15-2009, 02:31 PM
I will be on vacation in Orlando (i forgot) the week before.. not sure if we get home on Friday or Saturday.

Can we come for just one day? (like on Sunday)

Chad-1stGen
04-15-2009, 03:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing Steve. The price is almost good enough to buy both even if you show for one but it would be cool if we could get a Sunday only.

Steve1968LS2
04-15-2009, 03:47 PM
I was thinking the same thing Steve. The price is almost good enough to buy both even if you show for one but it would be cool if we could get a Sunday only.

Yea, it's 122 miles from my front door to the track. Should be an easy drive of a couple hours.

If I go on Satuday I was thinking of renting a garage at the track.

Damn True
04-15-2009, 03:57 PM
True - when I was at Del Mar I picked up one of the ZHZ 'Vettes out of San Diego for $58 a day - you should look into that. Nothing beats it...

And for what it's worth - my flights are booked and my entry forms are in the mail - we're heading to the Streets Of Willow! (with a new and improved OLC) :woot:

More fun announcements coming soon...

Hmmm

I'll have to see what the prices are out of San Jose.

OUCH - $159 a day. WTF?

James OLC
04-15-2009, 05:20 PM
You'll never see the best price online. Long story short... when I showed up at the counter I asked what the special of the day was... they said the 'vette at $99 a day. They had 12 of them or something and wanted to move some.

I said no way and it was way more than I wanted to pay.

We started going through options... 350Z, Mustang, etc... but they either wouldn't work with our luggage or they didn't have any... after a laugh she offered me the 'vette cheap.

I couldn't say no.

1969CamaroRS
04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Must get car on the road...

CarlC
04-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I'll bet that they will let you go for only one day without too much fuss. What's for them to complain about? They have your money and there's more room on the track.

My closing date got moved way up so if nothing changes I MIGHT be able to make one day.

David Pozzi
04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Thank your lucky stars great folk's like the Pozzi's are even offering to help you at the track. Plus, $210 is a very reasonable rate for a track Weekend. I'm paying $178 for only one day at Laguna Seca with NCRC (which BTW is a great deal as well).

Don't forget it is a load of fun too!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

It's like crack, - first we give you free samples, THEN...

CarlC
04-15-2009, 08:18 PM

Werd.

mpozzi
04-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Hmmm

I'll have to see what the prices are out of San Jose.

OUCH - $159 a day. WTF?

Check with Lowend as he works for Enterprise. He'd know if there were any deals available.

BTW ... your carrier's done. Looks purdy, too!!

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

BLT2DRIVE
04-15-2009, 10:50 PM
First it's just air in the tires, then nitrogen, pump gas, then race fuel, first just a few pointers, then the urges, flashbacks, then ya got to have a fix... Help us all David! We're hooked!

venomous67
04-15-2009, 10:52 PM
Hey everyone,

Chris here from the Shelby Club. As far as one-day registrations, we'll do $125 for a single day. FWIW, it's looking attendance for this event will be a bit lighter than usual so there's going to be a ton of track time and no crowded sessions. You will absolutely get your money's worth.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out there in a couple of weeks.

Chris

James OLC
04-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Hey everyone,

Chris here from the Shelby Club. As far as one-day registrations, we'll do $125 for a single day. FWIW, it's looking attendance for this event will be a bit lighter than usual so there's going to be a ton of track time and no crowded sessions. You will absolutely get your money's worth.

Looking forward to seeing everyone out there in a couple of weeks.

Chris

Welcome Chris!

Looking forward to the weekend - should be a great time!

CarlC
04-20-2009, 07:24 PM
How about a head count?

James
David
Mary
Carl

Chad-1stGen
04-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Where do you guys mount your fire extinguishers in cabin for these things?

I want to by a 2.5 lb clean fire extinguisher but don't know where to mount it inside the cab that won't be totally in the way.

David Pozzi
04-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Mary and I are going but Mary is not bringing her Camaro.
David

CarlC
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
David

Can you two be instructors? At least that way you two can have ride-along's and teach. I think it's only $25 to be a second driver on a car.

Chad,

Do you have enough room to mount it just in front of the front seat? I'm getting a mount on Wednesday to attach it to the roll bar, either on the upright behind the seat or on the crossbar.

Damn True
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
David

Can I?

Kidding.

Rocco
04-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Where do you guys mount your fire extinguishers in cabin for these things?

I want to by a 2.5 lb clean fire extinguisher but don't know where to mount it inside the cab that won't be totally in the way.

Hey Chad, you can make a simple bracket to mount your fire extinguisher sideways just in front of your passenger seat floor mounts using the two floor mount bolts to sandwich the bracket to the floor. If you don't want to build one, you can buy a mounting plate like this from MAECO Motorsport in Northridge, CA (818) 701-1923. It won't interfere with any of your "interior activities"

-The Stig-
04-21-2009, 06:11 PM
Ah, looks like I won't be able to make it out for the event. I've gotta house sit, and watch the dog. Poopy.

I really couldn't afford the trip out there right now anyways, just got hit with registration for my Chevy pickup and the G8... and with the new increase on the registrations I've gotta figure out where I'm going to pull an extra $600 outta my rear.

Thanks Arnold.

79-TA
04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Ah, looks like I won't be able to make it out for the event. I've gotta house sit, and watch the dog. Poopy.

I really couldn't afford the trip out there right now anyways, just got hit with registration for my Chevy pickup and the G8... and with the new increase on the registrations I've gotta figure out where I'm going to pull an extra $600 outta my rear.

Thanks Arnold.

I'm in the same boat right now. Time to register the Olds, Mustang, and TA again (it seems I only buy cars in the spring.) This not being employed since winter business catches up with you . . . argh, I probably should be getting ready for finals by then anyway.

Steve1968LS2
04-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Looks like Penny is out too. We get home from Florida Saturday night and that gives me zero time to prep the car. Plus I was hoping to get the oil cooler in before the event but it's still not here. :(

Plus, $200 for two days is a great deal... $200 for one day, not so much.

I also have a trip to the Silver State to pay for and a drive up to Pleasanton.. May is too busy.

However, I would be happy to come and be the official group photographer.. am I hired?

James OLC
04-21-2009, 07:04 PM
The job is yours Steve!

-The Stig-
04-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I also have a trip to the Silver State to pay for and a drive up to Pleasanton.. May is too busy.

As in Silver State Classic?:seizure:

Need a co-driver?

Steve1968LS2
04-21-2009, 08:10 PM
As in Silver State Classic?:seizure:

Need a co-driver?

I am the co-driver... lol

:lurk:

Damn True
04-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I am the co-driver... lol

Blabbermouth.

79-TA
04-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Looks like Penny is out too. We get home from Florida Saturday night and that gives me zero time to prep the car. Plus I was hoping to get the oil cooler in before the event but it's still not here. :(

Plus, $200 for two days is a great deal... $200 for one day, not so much.

Did you see the 125 for one day option?

Steve1968LS2
04-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Blabbermouth.

I know nothing.... really... in a literal sense..

Steve1968LS2
04-21-2009, 09:57 PM
Did you see the 125 for one day option?

No, I didn't.. and I'm intrigued.. just need to see if I can have the car where I want it considering I will be on vacation all next week.

Thanks for the heads up...

David Pozzi
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Steve, you need the oil cooler!!!
It will be hot and the sessions will be 20 minutes or 30 minutes long.
David

Steve1968LS2
04-22-2009, 06:51 AM
David

Yea, I know.. I was just going to run three laps and then cool down.. I should just fix it first.

AFCO is working on the new radiator, just taking a lot longer than I expected.

Looks like it will be rides and shooting pictures for me.. Still should be fun.

DJW32
04-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Steve,
Why dont you put an external oil cooler on? This solution can be a band-aid until you get the AFCO piece. At least you can run more than 3 laps...

CarlC
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
No passengers from the looks of it unless you are an instructor.

Damn True
04-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Aww heck!

Steve1968LS2
04-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Aww heck!

Hey, you could help me shoot the event.. I have extra cameras..

CarlC
04-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm only going to be able to make it for one day. Which days are you shooting Steve?

Steve1968LS2
04-22-2009, 12:11 PM
I'm only going to be able to make it for one day. Which days are you shooting Steve?

Sunday since we will still be in Florida on Saturday...

JEFFTATE
04-22-2009, 12:17 PM
I have a question....
The "Streets of Willow" is a slightly shorter part of the Willow Springs International Raceway Roadcourse ??? ( Close to Bakersfield ?? )

"ButtonWillow" is a different track all together ??? It's further up North ??

Damn True
04-22-2009, 12:19 PM
Correct on both counts.

...and to add to the corn-fusion, Thunderhill Raceway (way North) is in Willows, CA.

JEFFTATE
04-22-2009, 12:34 PM
Lots of Willows in California ...
Probably brought in by the Scottsmen during the Gold Rush.....

I'm gonna' come out to California some day.
Ya'll have like 6 roadcourses out there....
Must be like Heaven..

-The Stig-
04-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Not to mention, Nevada and Arizona... (depending where you are in California) both have tracks that aren't that far away.

West coast... for the win.

Rocco
04-22-2009, 02:57 PM
David

Steve, unless Bad Penny is really having overheating issues I don't think you'll have a problem. Streets of Willow is a smaller course, more concentrating on cornering and not so hard on your engine. The run groups go out for about 15 minutes each (maybe more, depending on the number of entries) and even so, its perfectly fine to pull into the pits and cool down at any time and then get back out again. My car doesn't overheat, but I find myself pulling in sometimes just to get out of traffic and re-enter the track onto a more open spacing. It ain't a real race, just a fun way to practice and get some quality seat time.
And the one day only fee is still a good bargain...

- Rocco

Steven
04-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Jefftate, Willow Springs Raceway is located in Rosemond which is approx. 1hour and 45 minute drive south of Bakersfield off of Hwy 14. Buttonwillow raceway is approx. 1/2 hour drive West of Bakersfield. Lets add to the confusion, Buttonwillow raceway is not actually in the City of Buttonwillow. It's an approx. 20 minute drive North of the City of Buttonwillow next to I-5. You can see both on goggle earth.

79-TA
04-22-2009, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna' come out to California some day.
Ya'll have like 6 roadcourses out there....
Must be like Heaven..

The grass is always greener . . . I'm always complaining about how there are no close tracks, even 1/4 miles are few and far between. California is quite large for so few roadcourses.

-The Stig-
04-22-2009, 09:31 PM
The grass is always greener . . . I'm always complaining about how there are no close tracks, even 1/4 miles are few and far between. California is quite large for so few roadcourses.

I second that..

Although, a days commute in LA traffic will have you think otherwise... if you watch people, you would of thought you were on a track by the way they drove. As if rushing through stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic will net you something at the end... oh goodie... you got 2 cars ahead of me... and now you're sitting still just like me. Good job... you win.:1st: ....Tool.

Twentyover
04-23-2009, 07:13 AM
[quote=JEFFTATE;518322]I have a question....
The "Streets of Willow" is a slightly shorter part of the Willow Springs International Raceway Roadcourse ??? .........
quote]

Not exactly correct. Willow Springs is the big 2 1/2 mile 9 turn road course. The streets is (are ?) a separate shorter course just north of T8 of the big course. It's part of the bigger motorsports complex on Rosamond Blvd.

Google maps 70th St West and Knox Ave Kern CA

The streets starts at the black skid plate west of 70th St W south of Irone, and is west of the south oval. Last time I ran it, the section west of the north oval did not exist (it's been a few years). Generally, the sections west of the south oval emulate the turns of the big track, albiet at lower speed .

It appears the sections west of the north oval, east of 72nd St, can be added to the track configuration, changing length and configuration.

blown9746
04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I liked streets on my motorcycle, but I can't imagine there is much passing in cars. It is quite narrow in a lot of sections.

CarlC
04-23-2009, 12:12 PM
There is no uncontrolled passing at these events. Passing is only allowed on certain parts of the track and the car in front must give a hand signal for clearance.

SOW's is nicer for most track days. The big track is fast, really fast, and turn 9 is nasty.

Twentyover
04-23-2009, 03:36 PM
SOW's is nicer for most track days. The big track is fast, really fast, and turn 9 is TASTY.

Fixed it for you...

I love running the big track in the vintage E/Prod MGB. Set the car up correctly, you just lift in Balcony and the car rotates, mash the gas and it's off to turn 5.

In a small dispacement car, T8 and T9 are taken flat. Just make sure you apex after the pothole in T9 or you'll get caught out driver's left near the pit wall.

RSX302
04-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Not making this one but I'm signed up for May 6th on Willows "Big Track" Passangers allowed... 3 groups Beginner, Inter & Adv
$160 - 3 sessions 30min each...enough to toast a car.

http://www.opentrackracing.com/

CarlC
04-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Good deal Ron. 30 minutes is a long session, and having passengers is pretty cool.

We may be neighbors soon. We are putting a bid in for Dos Vientos tomorrow.

CarlC
04-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Just make sure you apex after the pothole in T9 or you'll get caught out driver's left near the pit wall.

That wall looms large in an understeering hulk of a 1st gen.

RSX302
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
Good deal Ron. 30 minutes is a long session, and having passengers is pretty cool.

We may be neighbors soon. We are putting a bid in for Dos Vientos tomorrow.

Very Cool...I take the Camaro in that area once in a while for a nice little cruise. On the way out, I stretch its legs on the straight next to the horse stables---then on thru Hidden Valley. Awesome drive...

Good Luck!

RSX302
04-23-2009, 09:49 PM
That wall looms large in an understeering hulk of a 1st gen.

Pothole in T9 :eek: I'll keep that in mind..

Yes I've been working on the understeer. Hard to get rid of with 335's out back.

I've been on both tracks a couple of times a long time ago, but first with the Camaro.

I've added an oil cooler and a 7/8" rear sway bar since Optima's event last Nov. We'll see how it does. Seems to be much better. I'm going to do my best to get some in car video as well.

CarlC
04-24-2009, 06:19 AM
We do a little spirited testing and tuning in my friends cal along the same section of Lynn as well. I think we tick-off the horse people. The road down into Camarillo is OK too if the minivans stay out of the way.

xplane
04-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Willow Springs technically has 8 racetracks in one complex.

It is the first dedicated road course in North America (1953), and also is THE most rented road course in North America.

2.5 mile big track
Streets of Willow (multiple configurations)
Horsethief Mile
3 oval tracks (2 paved/1 dirt)
Kart track
Balcony (drifting/kart track)

I have raced on five of the eight many times, and driven every configuration of the Streets over the years.

It is really nice having a playground like this within 15 minutes of home! Should anyone need tools or help I would be glad lend a hand.

Hope to see you all there!

Mike

Twentyover
04-24-2009, 02:35 PM
[quote=RSX302;518910]Pothole in T9 :eek: I'll keep that in mind..
....quote]

OK, it's a perrenial hole in the dirt at the track edge- causes a small depression in the tarmac. I'm certain there has been attempts to fix it, but w/o putting some sort of culvert under the track (and the Huths are way to cheap for that), it remains a track 'condition'. One the driver needs to deal with. Not a huge drama.

Just walk counter course from pit in, you can't miss it on driver's left maybe 200ft east of the pit wall

Twentyover
04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Xplane- you work for Scaled Composites?

xplane
04-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Xplane- you work for Scaled Composites?

No, Nasa.

Twentyover,

Love your Camaro, very tastefully done.

Pothole in T9 I'll keep that in mind..

What gets me more than the pot hole is the dip at the apex of nine. You have to stay about a foot and a half of the curbing to miss it. Hitting that on a motorcycle at 100mph is a big no no, and or a trip to the hospital.

Mike

Twentyover
04-24-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks. I'm kind of fond of it myself.

Dryden?

Yeah, pothole may have been an overstatement of the situation. On the MGB I want right hand tires right on the edge- better to late apex than early on this one, if you have druthers.

xplane
04-25-2009, 02:02 AM
Twentyover

Dryden?

Dryden took out a twenty year lease on the B-1 production facility at Palmdale (AF Plant 42). My airplane is based out of Site 9 now.

rogue
04-25-2009, 08:22 AM
Last minute I'm trying to wrap a few loose ends up and trying to make it out.

My car goes to Guldstrand for some goodies on wednesday morning and I'm hoping to make it out.

Rocco
04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
Did we end up having more than two people sign up for this event after six pages of internet chat ? ... I still will look forward to meeting you guys who decide to run next weekend. The pictures of your cars are very nice!

69sponge
04-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I sent my check today..

venomous67
04-25-2009, 09:36 PM
How about a head count?

James
David
Mary
Carl

We have 28 cars registered as of Saturday. Guessing we'll be in the 35 range for the weekend - about a dozen cars per session.

406 Q-ship
04-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I was having issues to know if the Chevelle would be ready for the event. I still have quite a few things to do, coolant bottle, bleed the brakes, find some tie down strap for the battery. I got side tracked hanging fender and doors on my POS truck, along with wiring it up with power windows. I will send my check out first thing in the AM Monday.

venomous67
04-25-2009, 09:39 PM
... and with the new increase on the registrations I've gotta figure out where I'm going to pull an extra $600 outta my rear.

Ain't California great?!?!

venomous67
04-25-2009, 09:41 PM
$200 for two days is a great deal... $200 for one day, not so much.

$125 for one day = great deal.

venomous67
04-25-2009, 09:49 PM
The run groups go out for about 15 minutes each.... I find myself pulling in sometimes just to get out of traffic and re-enter the track onto a more open spacing.
- Rocco

We'll be running three groups, 20 minute sessions, so you'll be out once every hour.

Traffic shouldn't be a problem for the weekend however Rocco's so fast even one other car on track can give him fits!

CarlC
04-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Rocco,

Are you the Chris on the registration form? If so, I have a question for you, and will PM.

Charley Lillard
04-26-2009, 06:27 AM
35 cars total for a weekend track event ?

Larry Callahan
04-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Anyone going on Sunday? Susan and I will go and shoot video if a few of us are going. MotiV8r is not quite ready.

James OLC
04-26-2009, 07:41 AM
I will be there with Dave and Mary Saturday and Sunday. Dave has been working hard to get the suspension tuned up so it should be really interesting to see how it responds. And it should be a good shake down before we run the NORC in May. :ssst:

CarlC
04-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I'll be there Sunday only.

Lance-W
04-27-2009, 05:33 AM
I'll be there Sunday only.

You interested in a passenger? I'd love to go to this thing but my car's just not 100% in my opinion or certainly not track ready anyways.

CarlC
04-27-2009, 06:06 AM
No on-track passengers allowed.

You're more than welcome to ride out and stay the day. I'll be leaving early Sunday.

Damn True
04-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Hey, you could help me shoot the event.. I have extra cameras..

That sounds like fun. Maybe they'll allow passengers if said passenger has a press-pass. Hookitup!

venomous67
04-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Rocco,

Are you the Chris on the registration form? If so, I have a question for you, and will PM.

No, that would be me on the registration form. Once you see Rocco and I standing next to each other, you'll see there's not too much resemblance.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

Chris

Charley Lillard
04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Is it really only about 35 cars total for a Shelby club event ?

Rocco
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
No, that would be me on the registration form. Once you see Rocco and I standing next to each other, you'll see there's not too much resemblance.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

Chris
Chris is about twice my height! - and my name really is Rocco.
And no, I'm not that fast, I'll probably be in the intermediate group.
The guys in the advanced group are the fast ones... and have Ford GTs, Cobras, Z06 Corvettes and the like.

Rocco Gioffre

Damn True
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM

Could be 36 if you come.

Chad-1stGen
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Last Friday I sent in the paperwork for Sunday only.

Tomorrow I'm off to buy a track helmet and fire extinguisher with a "metal" bracket, otherwise I'm all set to go.

I'll be driving our early Sunday morning.

Carl have you figured out what time you are going to leave?

venomous67
04-28-2009, 12:20 PM

We had a flurry of entries come in yesterday so I'm guessing we'll have around 40 for the weekend. Thirteen or fourteen cars per group will be nice.

Rocco
04-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I think the cool thing about the group here at pro-touring.com that will be in attendance is all the interesting mods they've done and the welcome addition of some vintage GM cars to offset the usual Fords.
And even one Camaro with a Ford engine !

venomous67
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Definitely will be good to see some more vintage iron out there. Looking forward to checking out the new cars.

CarlC
04-28-2009, 02:10 PM
Chad,

That will depend on the time of the Sunday drivers meeting. It takes a solid 90min from my house, and we'll need to get gas at the offramp. Likely leave my house no later than 6:00am if the meeting is at 8:15am.

Rocco and venomous67,

Any word on the Sunday drivers meeting time? Saturday is 8:15am.

Rocco
04-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Chad,

That will depend on the time of the Sunday drivers meeting. It takes a solid 90min from my house, and we'll need to get gas at the offramp. Likely leave my house no later than 6:00am if the meeting is at 8:15am.

Rocco and venomous67,

Any word on the Sunday drivers meeting time? Saturday is 8:15am.

Sunday usually starts a little bit later I think, but Chris knows more about that. Or call Randy Richardson 661-949-3931 and ask him.
- Rocco

Larry Callahan
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
I will be there with Dave and Mary Saturday and Sunday. Dave has been working hard to get the suspension tuned up so it should be really interesting to see how it responds. And it should be a good shake down before we run the NORC in May. :ssst:

Will your wife be joining you? Susan might be there.

James OLC
04-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Not this time Larry. She'll be back for Pleasanton though.

CarlC
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Drivers meeting on Sunday is @ 9:00am.

Chad,

I'm leaving my place @ 6:30am. Which way makes sense for you? 405? We can meet up, along with anyone else who is driving that morning.

Charley Lillard
04-28-2009, 07:02 PM
Do you guys ever run the large course ?

Larry Callahan
04-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Not this time Larry. She'll be back for Pleasanton though.

Cool. I hope to make that one but I don't think I will bring MotiV8r.

Larry Callahan
04-28-2009, 07:39 PM
My wife is fostering two small 3 legged dogs at the moment. I wonder if they would allow her in with them?

Larry Callahan
04-28-2009, 07:41 PM
Nevermind. I just found it on the web site.

* An adult must always directly supervise small children, and pets must be kept on leashes & under physical supervision at all times.

Chad-1stGen
04-28-2009, 07:42 PM
Drivers meeting on Sunday is @ 9:00am.

Chad,

I'm leaving my place @ 6:30am. Which way makes sense for you? 405? We can meet up, along with anyone else who is driving that morning.

That early in the morning the 405 makes the most sense though I'm not sure it's a huge difference to come up the 5 either. I'll map quest it later and check. Assuming it's not a big difference I can meet you at your place if you are still in Glendale otherwise maybe we can meet somewhere near the 405/5 exchange. Could be a good place for others to meet if they want to do part of the drive together.

406 Q-ship
04-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Chad you doing both days or just Sunday?

Chad-1stGen
04-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Just Sunday.

Larry Callahan
04-29-2009, 11:03 AM
It's official. Susan and I will be there about 9:30am. See you all there.

venomous67
04-29-2009, 03:09 PM
Drivers' meetings will be held at 8:15am Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday meeting is only for those folks showing up to run Sunday - meaning if you attend Saturday's meeting you don't have to attend again on Sunday (you'd be surprised how much confusion there is on that).

Please note, you must have your car teched prior to the drivers' meeting or you run the risk of missing your first session. We will begin teching cars around 7:15am on Saturday. Obviously Sunday's tech will be a much shorter affair as there will only be a few new drivers so tech will start around 7:30.

venomous67
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM

By "large course", do you mean the big track or the Streets with the bowl configuration? Short answer to both is no.

We've always run the Streets. Since they've added the bowl, we've elected not to run that configuration because it's by far the section of the track that someone is most likely to get into trouble. We usually have 10 or so first timers each event so from a safety-perspective, we tend to cater the event to the lowest denominator. We have a pretty phenominal safety record and we want to keep it that way. That said, the track is a great challenge as far as car control and learning to drive your car.

The Cobra Club runs the big track twice each year and does a great job so we attend their event when we want to run fast.

Twentyover
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM

Yes. Granted it was in a vintage legal MGB, so I wasn't very fast- I was running flat in 8 and 9.

CarlC
04-29-2009, 09:00 PM
Drivers' meetings will be held at 8:15am Saturday and Sunday. The Sunday meeting is only for those folks showing up to run Sunday - meaning if you attend Saturday's meeting you don't have to attend again on Sunday (you'd be surprised how much confusion there is on that).

Please note, you must have your car teched prior to the drivers' meeting or you run the risk of missing your first session. We will begin teching cars around 7:15am on Saturday. Obviously Sunday's tech will be a much shorter affair as there will only be a few new drivers so tech will start around 7:30.

Just to confirm, I talked to Randy last night. He said 9:00am drivers meeting for Sunday. I have no problem getting there early but would like confirmation on the time.

venomous67
04-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Just to confirm, I talked to Randy last night. He said 9:00am drivers meeting for Sunday. I have no problem getting there early but would like confirmation on the time.

Sunday's drivers' meeting will start by 8:30. First on-track sessions begin at 9.

CarlC
04-30-2009, 01:00 PM
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

Chad,

I'm leaving my place at 5:30am. Will hit the 405/5 around 5:45am. My cell is 734-516-4069. Send me yours and I'll call you when I leave. Likely meet up at the San Fernando Rd. exit at I-14 since it is an easy off/on and allows others coming fro the north to join.

Chad-1stGen
05-01-2009, 12:57 PM
Looks like I'm not going to make it. The fire extinguisher with a metal mounting system I ordered hasn't arrived yet and after spending hours making phone calls and scouring the interent apparently nobody in LA stocks a metal mounted fire extinguisher.

Also, I never got any sort of confirmation of my application.

-The Stig-
05-01-2009, 03:05 PM
You kids have fun out there, I've been stuck with work to do... actual work... and being on-call I can't even run out there to check out the fun after I get off. Oh well...

I expect videos and pictures from all! :)

406 Q-ship
05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
Looks like I'm not going to make it. The fire extinguisher with a metal mounting system I ordered hasn't arrived yet and after spending hours making phone calls and scouring the interent apparently nobody in LA stocks a metal mounted fire extinguisher.

Chad go to a real fire exingusher place, I picked mine up at South Bay Fire Extingusher on Aviation in Hermosa Beach for $40.

Lance-W
05-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Chad,
West Marine eludes to having a metal bracketed one here? Surely there is a West Marine down by you somewhere?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/28256/377%20710/0/extinguiser/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710&Ne=0&Ntt=extinguiser&Ntk=Primary%20Search&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&Nao=0&Ns=0&keyword=extinguiser&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=8&subdeptNum=155&classNum=157

Lance

Damn True
05-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Aircraft Spruce in Corona has them. Any aviation supply joint should as well.

Chad-1stGen
05-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Hey guys, Carl called me yesterday and told me Master Car had them so I just got back from picking one up. So I'm back in business!!

Looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow.

Lance, I kept meaning to check West Marine. There is one down the street but I kept forgetting about it. Oh well it's worked out for now.

rsk68
05-02-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm going just to watch and learn, car is not ready anyways.

Carl I may meet up with you guys on the 14 or will be right behind you.

CarlC
05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
Rick,

Chad and I are planning SF Rd/14 around 5:50am.

Lance-W
05-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm in too. Samantha and I will be there watching and filming. I like Rick don't have a car that is 100% yet.

Larry Callahan
05-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Susan and I should arrive around 10am

buickfunnycar.com
05-03-2009, 07:41 AM
Any updates?Can't wait to see pics & vids...:yum:

-The Stig-
05-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Any updates?Can't wait to see pics & vids...:yum:

Yesss! Updates asap peoples!

If I get stuck at home cause of work, I'll want minute by minute updates! haha

Damn True
05-03-2009, 11:06 AM
In the office again all this weekend.

Need a horsepower fix.

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
LOT'S of pictures. Loading now..................

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 12:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oldK1y3d7Y

Listen to that Supercharger Whine !!

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 01:18 PM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

1969CamaroRS
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Awesome video and pics. :jawdrop: Damn I want to do this so bad myself, must finish car, must finish car...

Mkelcy
05-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Lance: That's some telephoto lens! Nice pictures.

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 02:42 PM
I have ton's more pictures and videos. I'm rebuilding a buddies Carburetor right now but later I will try and post them all. I have video of everyone passing the viewing booth thing.

Larry Callahan
05-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Susan and I are home. It was a fun day but too windy for us. Our EZ-up canopy was destroyed and the dust was killer on my allergies. I did get some pictures and they are uploading now.

If you were there and have pictures or video I would love to have them to make a video of the weekend. Visit http://www.filedropper.com/ and upload them. After they are uploaded you will be given a link. Send me the link for the file(s) and I will work on a video for the weekend.

Larry Callahan
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Here are a few. Note our canopy in the background. LOL!

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22569

I didn't know it was red car day
https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22788

Carl, the man was the coolest sounding car of the day
https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22509

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22719

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22875

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23001

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23007

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23040

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22488

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22515

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22518

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22527

Larry Callahan
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22560

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22572

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22707

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22755

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22761

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22926

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23040

-The Stig-
05-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Awesomes...

I'm jealous I couldn't go... but we've spent the day mapping out the new motor for the RS... our goal is September to be rolling under Chevy power, not push power.

Damn True
05-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, on the bright side.....I did finish an 80 page proposal this weekend......cripes.

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Karl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MtbTFQFL8&feature=channel_page

406 Q-ship
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Damn that was the most fun you can have with your pants on......

There is only one thing better than a day at the track, a day at the track with great people. Lance and Larry great pics, I saw the lenght of Lance's Lens........:eek:, and from the pics it really can reach out and touch you. Carl Camaro is one freakin fast MoFo, I let him pass me, I look up and damn if it wasn't flat gone......which way did he go? I felt like I was in another time zone.

To Rocco and Chris, I want to say to the people in the Shelby club thanks for an awesome day you and your club were the best, your club puts on one hell of an event. I know that we will be back.......this is a plan and a threat (hee hee hee). Seriously pass it along to all the club that we all loved how you guys handled the event and your club is very gratious.....I tip my hat. Tell Randy that I was very humbled to be accept to his home for the BBQ after Saturdays run ........The Doc BBQ a mean burger.

I got to meet both David and Mary Possi in person and what a great pair they are, just good folks. David if you read this you remind me alot of Tricky D Guldstrand himself, just almost not as old.....lol. I can't wait till we get to do this again.

Here are the Track photographer shots of my ride.
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/May03ShelbyClub2WhiteGroup1021-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/May03ShelbyClub2WhiteGroup1020am-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/May03ShelbyClub2WhiteGroupPracti-1.jpg

406 Q-ship
05-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, on the bright side.....I did finish an 80 page proposal this weekend......cripes.

I was saying at the track that a bad day at the racetrack is better than anyday at work........oops oh I guess thats doen't really help huh? :enguard:

Lance thanks for the link that was cool......my car sounds too stock.

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 07:58 PM
Another Carl. Crummy resolution. I guess the bigger the file the more they degrade the quality?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___GfyRhavE

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 08:00 PM
James

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPlglCcAiF8

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Chad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy97jA5Y-8M

Chad-1stGen
05-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Sweet shots and video Lance! Larry you also had some great shots!

FYI lance, Vimeo allows much better quality videos.

Lance-W
05-03-2009, 08:26 PM
If anyone would like the original high res version just PM me your email address and I'll send it along. I also have about 300 pictures of all of you. If you want a CD send me a snail mail address and I'll send it or I can bring it to the next Crest run.

Chad-1stGen
05-03-2009, 08:28 PM
Here are some more pics. Most of my handheld camera pics didn't turn out all that great so I've included a few from the track photographer. I ended up with one pic of Carl and a couple of James from the track photographer too.

Yes just driving TO THE TRACK builds lots of excitement!

CarlC
05-03-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm a fashion juggernaut in that sweet driving suit!

I second Karl's comments on the Shelby Club. Though our cars are the "enemy" we were all welcomed with open arms, and you could not have asked for a nicer bunch of guys. Thanks, and we'll be back.

So, who came out?

Larry and his wife.
Mike
Rick
Lance and his daughter.
Chad and his wife.
David and Mary
James
Chad and his wife.
Karl
Carl

I can't remember a driving event like today where nobody broke down, no major off-course excursions, no drama, etc. The tow truck never came out. Six sessions at 20 minutes each is plenty for one day. I'm glad they had a lunch break since there was so little downtime between runs.

James and I had a great time together the latter half of the day, and hopefully his Hero cam got our runs together. It was too much fun running with him and watching his masterpiece work. She's quite a lady James.

Rocco and I had a bunch of fun in the last session playing follow the leader where we swapped lead several times. What a gas! No worries Rocco, that oil will wash right off.

Chad, I'm sending those pics to your tire guy.

So who's up for the next one?

Chad-1stGen
05-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Chad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy97jA5Y-8M

I think I was running on battery power in that vid :) Man my car is quiet compared to you guys. But at least my neighbors hopefully didn't wake up when I left at 4:45am this morning.

Chad-1stGen
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I know I can edit my posts but I blame it on too much sun and track driving.

Anyhow...

Question: What happens when you take KDW's on the track with 130 miles on them??

Answer:

406 Q-ship
05-03-2009, 08:56 PM
With all the a videos and awesome action shots of the cars on track, I'm ready to go again already!

Carl sets the fashion standard with his "driving suit", we all hope too achieve half of what he has made for us in style. When your car runs as hard as his does he could wear a paper bag and still look good..... I hate him for that......:razz: Looks like I will have to step up my game a bit.

Mkelcy
05-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Someone needs to consider the GMod.

As for Carl's track suit, I kept wanting to ask him to empty the trash receptacle. :)

CarlC
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
:lol:

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2009, 05:54 AM
Glad I made it out there for a bit.. worth the 4 hours of driving to hang out for three.. lol

except for the wind the weather was nice. I will organize my shots once I get to work since my home computer is still under the knife.

CarlC
05-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Hey Chad,

You should have kept the old tires on the car. There's no wear on the inside of the new one's.

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Someone needs to consider the GMod.

I know I know lol. That was the first thing I pointed out to my g/f when we saw the pics, though I worded it as my car doesn't have enough camber gain and when she asked me what that means I replied "I need to spend more money" lol.

Hey Chad,

You should have kept the old tires on the car. There's no wear on the inside of the new one's.

Don't I know it! I've been kicking myself over that one. Part of my original thinking was that the old tires were pretty old and hardened and some newer softer rubber would be more fun.

Mkelcy
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
I know I know lol. That was the first thing I pointed out to my g/f when we saw the pics, though I worded it as my car doesn't have enough camber gain and when she asked me what that means I replied "I need to spend more money" lol.

Should we tell her the GMod is free, or are you going for ATS spindles or tall balljoints?

buickfunnycar.com
05-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Great pics guys,thanks for sharing...

406 Q-ship
05-04-2009, 08:20 AM

So do the free mod and spend that cash somewhere else......
She is a great girl and put up with being in that sun and wind hell without complaining......she is a keeper. Next time you got to put her in the driver seat (not just on the way home) so she can see what it is all about, the only down side is you may have to build her a car then.

1969CamaroRS
05-04-2009, 11:07 AM
So do the free mod and spend that cash somewhere else......
She is a great girl and put up with being in that sun and wind hell without complaining......she is a keeper. Next time you got to put her in the driver seat (not just on the way home) so she can see what it is all about, the only down side is you may have to build her a car then.

Yeah but what an excuse to build another car :idea:.

Damn True
05-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I was saying at the track that a bad day at the racetrack is better than anyday at work........oops oh I guess thats doen't really help huh? :enguard:

I have the power to ban you.:machine:

Damn True
05-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Damn that was the most fun you can have with your pants on......

There are a number of jokes available here. None of which I can use on this message board.

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Should we tell her the GMod is free, or are you going for ATS spindles or tall balljoints?

Yeah I did some searches on here and google last night. I didn't realize the guldstrand mod was that easy. I might actually be able to do it myself lol!

However, after reading a bit I'm just not sure which is the best option. I was previously leaning towards the tall ATS spindle but after hearing of some of the issues with a lowered spindle I'm wondering if the tall ball join might be best.

I recall reading on Camaros.net that Mark (not sure on the name) from SCandC basically said tall spindle like ATS was best, tall ball join next best at 75% as effective as that and Gmod at 3rd best as maybe 50% as effective.

This is because there is a lot more (that I don't understand) to it than just better caster gain.

venomous67
05-04-2009, 11:46 AM
To Rocco and Chris, I want to say to the people in the Shelby club thanks for an awesome day you and your club were the best, your club puts on one hell of an event. I know that we will be back.......this is a plan and a threat (hee hee hee). Seriously pass it along to all the club that we all loved how you guys handled the event and your club is very gratious.....I tip my hat. Tell Randy that I was very humbled to be accept to his home for the BBQ after Saturdays run ........The Doc BBQ a mean burger.

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words. We really appreciate you all coming out. We were talking at the end of the day Sunday about what a good group we had running this weekend - it makes for an enjoyable weekend from an administrative perspective. As far as your cars being the "enemy", as you saw we welcome all types of cars. However from my point of view, I prefer the vintage stuff (Ford, Chevy, Porsche, etc.) so I personally really enjoyed seeing you guys out there - great looking and running cars.

We certainly hope you guys come out again. While we usually have two events a year (spring and fall), unfortunately this will be our only weekend this year as we got hosed when the 2009 schedule was put together by Willow. Anyway, now that you're on our list we'll make sure you guys get notice of our next one.

Cool pics/videos posted so far. Looking forward to seeing all of them once uploaded. Larry, very cool low-angle pic of Carl's (?) car coming onto the front straight. How did you get that pic? Almost looks like you were in front of the wall?

Later,

Chris

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
A couple of shots I got...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/fnv3lv-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/14tbztt-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/2nriidl-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/15fivpw-1.jpg

Mkelcy
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
However, after reading a bit I'm just not sure which is the best option. I was previously leaning towards the tall ATS spindle but after hearing of some of the issues with a lowered spindle I'm wondering if the tall ball join might be best.

The ATS spindle only has (I think) a 0.75" drop. I haven't heard of any tie rod interference issues with the ATS spindles - with the caveat that most folks who run the ATS spindle also run C5 brakes, which themselves call for a pretty good sized front wheel. I have heard of some issues with the brake calipers interfering with certain wheels.

Tyler (ATS) is still on the boards and in business, if you have questions you might try sending him a PM.

I also wanted to say what a great time I had on Sunday. The Shelby club and their guests were great folks to spend a day with.

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2009, 12:02 PM

Don't I know it! I've been kicking myself over that one. Part of my original thinking was that the old tires were pretty old and hardened and some newer softer rubber would be more fun.

Where do you live? Maybe we could do a story on how to do the g-mod deal.

Guldstrands is just over in Burbank :)

Damn True
05-04-2009, 12:24 PM
WOW! Great Photo!!!!

A couple of shots I got...

CarlC
05-04-2009, 12:25 PM
A word of advice.....

If you decide to go with the Gmod I suggest also using a tubular arm. This way the frame mount does not need to be trimmed to clear the stock arm. In the future you can go back to using the stock mounting location if you wish. When I did mine there were no tubular options.

JEFFTATE
05-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Nice photos Steve !
You should work for a magazine or something !!

1969CamaroRS
05-04-2009, 01:09 PM
The ATS spindle only has (I think) a 0.75" drop. I haven't heard of any tie rod interference issues with the ATS spindles - with the caveat that most folks who run the ATS spindle also run C5 brakes, which themselves call for a pretty good sized front wheel. I have heard of some issues with the brake calipers interfering with certain wheels.

I have the ATS spindle and 17" wheels with C5 brakes, no issues here.

Larry Callahan
05-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Larry, very cool low-angle pic of Carl's (?) car coming onto the front straight. How did you get that pic? Almost looks like you were in front of the wall?

Later,

Chris

Everyone needs one of these. It's a stick for your camera.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/2944884197_d2eff7e58d-1.jpg?v=0

Rocco
05-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Thank you again to Carl, Karl, James, Larry, David and Mary and all my new friends here at Pro-Touring.com. You guys and gals really made it a wonderful weekend and brought some of the most beautiful and well prepared cars I've seen. Awesome powerful, sweet sounding engines and amazing suspension mods. And everyone handled their cars very well.
Carl, I also had a bunch of fun in the last session playing follow the leader with you. Your driving was excellent !

Rocco
p.s., I'll be running on all eight cylinders next time ...

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Nice photos Steve !
You should work for a magazine or something !!

To get shots like that (showing so much motion) I have to shoot at 60th of a second. My kill rate sucks so only every 5th shot comes out but they are pretty cool when they do.

rogue
05-04-2009, 03:15 PM

you're killing me... I just had the guldstrand mod done this last week at the shop.

Damn True
05-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Alright Shipka....where's the video from "SPLITTER CAM"?

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2009, 03:28 PM

I live in Long Beach :)

I used to live in Glendale lol.

EDIT: PS. Steve those shots are amazing!

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 04:01 PM
Guys,
James just got on a plane for home, so it will be a day or so before he posts anything. I saw the splitter cam video and it's awesome! :)

Many thanks go out to the Shelby Club, a really friendly group and a fun bunch to hang out with. Their expertise in putting on this type of event was obvious, their concern over safety was much higher than many events I've attended, very similar to the Nor-Cal Shelby group we usually run with. The extra instruction for new guys was super helpful, it could not have been as good a weekend without their help. We had many visitors stop by and chat which was fun.

I also want to thank Mary for being so helpful in prepping the OLC and trailering it to the track. When James and I got there, Mary had unloaded the car and run it through tech already! We couldn't have done it without her.

Pro-Touring.com is open to all cars, we welcome our newfound Shelby friends!

I've long been in envy of the Shelby clubs, they have always had so many good cars, and drivers with track experience. My personal goal as a "Camaro guy" has been to do what I can to promote the development and knowledge base for early Camaros to get out there and have fun too! I am so proud of our group and how they ran this weekend, - I just don't have the words to convey it.

James did an outstanding job of building a great car, then driving the heck out of on the race track! This was his first time on a track, and first time for the car, and I'd consider it a complete success on both fronts!

I have some video I will try to get uploaded tonight.
Thanks to all who came out! You all deserve a trophy! :1st:
David

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Well said Dave. I think I said it already in an earlier post but it was great meeting you and Mary in person. I've followed your posts on here and still find myself on your site quite a bit (such as last night when researching how to make my car turn better lol)

mpozzi
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
While waiting for the event photos to upload to my Zenfolio website I'll post my .02 as well ...

In a nutshell, we had an incredible time!!! The past two days are a whirlwind and I don't remember much on just a few hours sleep but what's a bit of shut eye when an open track event's concerned? James and the Camaro did great and turned some excellent times. His driving lines were right on and that car puts down some cool power on the straights. He's definitely not afraid of the loud pedal and the One Lap Camaro should be a definite contender and one to watch for at OPTIMA this year.

James is so low-key when it comes to those minor speed bumps that can arise on any track day. The fuel pump circuitry is quite close to the brake pedal assembly so when James adjusted brake bias, he inadvertently also "adjusted" some electric connections for fuel pump operation. Quick trace and diagnosis solved the engine no-start and the Camaro was on it's way with minimal drama.

Overall, the two days were so much fun and the car appeared to handle quite well. Both Dave and James took turns behind the wheel and both agreed that the Camaro enjoyed it's job and that it was easy to drive. We've got a few more tweaks and changes planned as that's what this maiden voyage was all about. Changes are good ...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/DSC_0242-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/DSC_0599-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/DSC_0630-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/DSC_0605-1.jpg

We had a few of the So. Cal. Pro-Touring guys out for some track fun on both Saturday and Sunday. Loved that orange '69 Z and could not take a bad photograph of the car. Sunday was "Red Day" as there were four first-gens out there with most seeing track duty. The LA Shelby Club has excellent, and very safe (important to me ...) track events and we'll definitely be back!!! As I own a late-model Shelby GT, it was cool seeing many of these cars on the track and also cool meeting their drivers. Tried to take pictures of everyone in every session and apologize if I missed anyone. I'll edit this post with the link and feel free to "take" any of the pictures you like. Also, post the link on the LA SAAC website ...

Man, it is taking like forever to get those photos uploaded ... but finally the end came and here you go.

http://www.zenfolio.com/marypozzi/p764113028/

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Chad-1stGen
05-04-2009, 07:02 PM
We have some talented photographers on this site. Awesome pics Mary.

If you guys couldn't tell by how active I've been in this thread... I had a lot of fun yesterday!

Steve1968LS2
05-04-2009, 07:48 PM
We have some talented photographers on this site. Awesome pics Mary.

If you guys couldn't tell by how active I've been in this thread... I had a lot of fun yesterday!

And at the end of day it doesn't matter if you spent $100k or $20k on your ride.. it's all about having fun and meeting great people.

Next time I will try to be there with my car.. the only thing more fun that going to one of these events is going with your car. lol

Larry Callahan
05-04-2009, 08:04 PM
And at the end of day it doesn't matter if you spent $100k or $20k on your ride.. it's all about having fun and meeting great people.

Next time I will try to be there with my car.. the only thing more fun that going to one of these events is going with your car. lol

Yeah, what he said.

Like Steve I showed up without a car, met some new people and had a great time. Hopefully we can all get together again soon and play. I got the info I needed today to set up an autocross event at Camarillo airport. I hope to start asking people for date suggestions soon. Mary, expect a call from me soon about a possible layout for it. I havn't a clue.

Lance-W
05-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, what he said.

I got the info I needed today to set up an autocross event at Camarillo airport. I hope to start asking people for date suggestions soon. Mary, expect a call from me soon about a possible layout for it. I havn't a clue.

You can consider me entered for it.

Larry Callahan
05-04-2009, 08:15 PM
After I figure out how to use a 150 foot by 1800 foot space highlighted in blue on the right. LOL!

https://www.pro-touring.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=23043

Looks boring

WpiK3YhqlJ0

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Here is a short video I just uploaded. I recorded it in wide mode, so it looks funny in regular mode, but I dont know how to fix it.
David
Notice Steve Rupp in front of me shooting photos while trying to stand still!

KiCqbXlwnyo

Damn True
05-04-2009, 08:37 PM
.....and thanks to Dave for texting me photos from Willow.....while I was at work......why I oughta!!!!

CarlC
05-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Gee, was it windy while you were shooting that David?

69sponge
05-04-2009, 08:53 PM
How long dose it take for Marys photos to load the wait is killing me.

406 Q-ship
05-04-2009, 08:56 PM

Here here Steve.......

We had an abundance of photographers with us, Mary you caught some great pics of alot of the car in attendance.

I hope this is just a start of the Pro-touring crowd turning out for track events, until you attend you will never get the feel of the energy. Bringing a car is a plus but not required, just getting people out there to see the fun got the spark going (huh Rick?). I have never seen such a positive response from any group of people for track event (just events in general) like we have gotten here.

I am glad I took the time to post this for all to see.

Damn True
05-04-2009, 08:58 PM
Man, it is taking like forever to get those photos uploaded ... but finally the end came and here you go.

http://www.zenfolio.com/marypozzi/p764113028/

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Wow, great photos. You weren't kidding about that '69. What a color!

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 09:05 PM
The wind blew so hard I could barely see what I was doing with the camera.
When we left the track, hwy 58 was closed due to a power generating windmill losing it's overspeed brakes near the highway in 50 mph winds! We had to detour over 138.

I just found out the windmill's brakes quit working and it over revved. It didn't come apart but the hwy patrol was worried it would! The windmill is 1500 feet from the highway, but in a Danish accident there were parts thrown farther than that.

Here's the Danish turbine failure H_gk-0xBs8Q

69sponge
05-04-2009, 09:06 PM
True -the orange 69 is my baby..thanks for the kind words now if i can only get the pictures up..

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Chad,
I'm uploading a vid of you now...

406 Q-ship
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM

This picture with the blur reminds me of photos shot at Trans Am races in the 1960s........very coool

CurtiSS 69
05-04-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow! This has got to be the coolest post ever. Great action great photos.

Regards

CurtiSS 69

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Here's Chad running.
Zg2erYokNVY

David Pozzi
05-04-2009, 10:26 PM
.....and thanks to Dave for texting me photos from Willow.....while I was at work......why I oughta!!!!

True,
Just some motivation for you! :idea:

CarlC
05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
69sponge, your car looks great! Too bad we missed each other by a day.

Maybe you can make it out for one of our Cruise the Crest breakfast runs up Angeles Crest Highway if you're local.

Steve1968LS2
05-05-2009, 06:09 AM
Rupp in front of me shooting photos while trying to stand still!

That wind didn't make it any easier....

JEFFTATE
05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
"My personal goal as a "Camaro guy" has been to do what I can to promote the development and knowledge base for early Camaros to get out there and have fun too!" David Pozzi

Thanks David !
You've helped me a lot .
I feel the same way about the early Camaros.

I love that orange '69 Z28 !
It looks like a better / completed version of my car !

David Pozzi
05-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Here's the camera phone pic I sent True. :dunno:

mpozzi
05-05-2009, 08:09 AM
That wind didn't make it any easier....

Steve is the "pan King" and his pics are awesome. The wind was furious and unrelenting. I tried to stand on the K-wall and hang on to a pole for stability. Abandoned that quickly. Moved over to the Port-a-Pooper and abandoned that even quicker ...

I tried to pan but couldn't keep the camera lens still with the wind.

69sponge ... send me a PM with your mailing addy and I'll send you a CD of everything of your car.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

James OLC
05-05-2009, 08:14 AM
WOW!

What a great weekend! It'll be a while before I can get my videos edited and up but I thought that I would quickly chime in to say thank you again to David and Mary - they really did an outstanding job helping to get the car (and me) sorted out and I appreciate it more than I can express. Once I have a chance put my thoughts together a bit more coherently I'll try to tell the story of how we crammed two weeks into three days but it will have to wait until tonight.

And don't worry True - SplitterVision will be coming to a screen near you soon...

venomous67
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
To get shots like that (showing so much motion) I have to shoot at 60th of a second. My kill rate sucks so only every 5th shot comes out but they are pretty cool when they do.

Steve, awesome pics!

Larry Callahan
05-05-2009, 11:15 AM
WOW!

What a great weekend! It'll be a while before I can get my videos edited and up but I thought that I would quickly chime in to say thank you again to David and Mary - they really did an outstanding job helping to get the car (and me) sorted out and I appreciate it more than I can express. Once I have a chance put my thoughts together a bit more coherently I'll try to tell the story of how we crammed two weeks into three days but it will have to wait until tonight.

And don't worry True - SplitterVision will be coming to a screen near you soon...

Don't forget www.filedropper.com

CarlC
05-05-2009, 04:12 PM
I dig the new sig James.

69sponge
05-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Carl thanks,but Marys pictures made my ride look better than it really is.I wanted to go to Willow Sunday when everybody was going to be there but it wasen't in the cards.I am going to make one of the crest trips soon.It only 45 min from my house.Looking forward to hanging with you guys.