PDA

View Full Version : SSBC rear discs for 2nd Gen Camaro

MikeDVC
03-11-2005, 09:43 PM
I'm new to this site. I've have read many of the postings regarding rear disc brake conversions, but haven't seen any comments regarding Stainlees Steel Brakes. I have a 75 Camaro, used mainly for alot of cruising and going to the local hang-outs. Was considering using either SSBC rear conversion or going with the 2002 era Camaro swap. I like the idea of using GM parts, but buying kit sounds alot easier. Seems that the SSBC kit uses late model Thunderbird calibers with emer. brakes included. I also think their kit looks pretty straight forward regarding installation. I just installed SSBC slotted rotors on the front, but still using factory calibers. I'm using the Hotchkis suspension kit, and running 16" wheels. No interest in road racing, so I don't need a high performance set-up. But I do drive the car alot on highway trips with my son, so dependability is very important.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Roadrage David
03-12-2005, 05:03 AM
i have 13 inch 4 pistol force ten sstb brakes in the frond and the 12 inch single piston with hand brake in the back for my 68 bird .i prefeur them over the bear brakes but thats my opinion .

fuzzyonion
03-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Make sure you pick one that is a good match for your front brakes. SSBC sells several kits, some of which are well matched to either each other, or to the stock brakes, but not both. SSBC makes no distinction so would just as readily sell you rear brakes which are too small, or front brakes which are too big, comparitively.

MikeDVC
03-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the info. I came accrossed a 95 Camaro with disc brakes at the local junk yard yesterday, think I may go that way. Should be able to convert for about 1/2 the cost. Guess I'll think about it for a while.

MikeDVC
04-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks again for the info, I ordered the SSBC rear kit last week. I wanted to upgrade their basic kit with slotted rotors, so I called SSBC directly. They in turn referred me to Jegs / Summit told me it would be cheaper to order from them.

I was surprised that I was able to upgrade to slotted rotors thru Summit, and their price (with upgrades) was cheaper then ordering the standard kit thru SSBC.

WS6
04-05-2005, 05:37 PM
sounds great. a lot of companies will purposefully mark their prices through them higher than their supplier. they really dont want to sell it to you directly, but if you insist and dont mind paying extra they will.

69bigblock
04-06-2005, 10:49 AM
How hard is it to convert 4th gen camros rear disc to a standard rear?
What size rotors on on the rears of, say 79 trans-am? Thats what I have now and was thinking about doing the c5 swap, but don't want it to look stupid with different size rotors..