PDA

View Full Version : Quality of Custom Autosound radios?

boynton6spd
03-18-2009, 05:56 AM
I'm not into "BOOM", just want a decent radio and CD changer.
No cassette...
Also, are the 'hidden speakers' on their website any good?
What is the most affordable sound proofing material available?
-Matt

BobB66SS
03-18-2009, 06:14 AM
I've had the Secret Audio hidden version in my Chevelle since about '04 or so. Added the 10 disc changer a couple yrs later. I'd classify the quality as average based on my experience.

My antenna lead got buried during the install of my Vintage Air system and couldn't be hooked up, and other signal boosters I've tried haven't worked so in essence I have just a CD player, no radio to speak of. That's not a Custom AutoSound issue.

Had to replace the CD changer last yr due to some part failure (wouldn't play, 10 disc cartridge wouldn't eject). Sent it back for repair, heard nothing for a couple weeks then called to find they'd diagnosed it as dead, it needed replaced, and had known that for a week. Was offered a replacement at a reduced price but still torqued me off a bit. Customer service less than stellar on that one.

Have replaced the remote once already as well. Still have the occasional remote issue where you press a button to skip to the next CD track and then hit the button to increase volume but the volume button repeats the previous function and skips to yet the next CD track. Does that pretty routinely regardless of what 2 functions you do in a row. Has done it with both remotes, must be a system issue. New batteries don't help.

Used other speakers so can't speak to the quality of theirs.

If I had to do it over again I'd have a local shop install a decent head unit in my glovebox and the CD changer in the trunk. I have the ctrl unit in my glovebox, changer in the trunk, and the operating unit under the passenger seat now, all of which I installed. It would have cost a few more $ but I think I'd have gotten better overall performance that way. Not terrible for the $ at the time but not great either.

boynton6spd
03-18-2009, 07:02 AM
Thanks Bob,
I'm hearing mixed results as well...
I'm not worried about the dash, I was just wanting to go w/an easier install...
Sounds like its worth it to but in a DIN type deck.
I found a JVC CD deck, 4x50 w/built in HD radio for $100 at best buy...I'm leaning this route...

novanutcase
03-18-2009, 07:07 AM
Unless you want to dash mount your stereo and keep a somewhat original look I wouldn't use Custom Autosound. I have one in my '61 T-Bird and it's marginal at best.

John